Author Topic: Photographers/Journalists & Their Nikons/Nikkors  (Read 16795 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Photographers/Journalists & Their Nikons/Nikkors
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2017, 04:15:51 »
American Portrait Photographer Annie Leibovitz with a Nikon F.
Not sure what the Nikkor is.

My guess will be an 85/2.0 AI Nikkor. The focus ring was smaller than most 52mm attachment sized  Nikkors. I had one and disliked the design. I replaced it with an AIS version.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Hans_S

• NG Supporter
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 05:11:08 »
Hugh's photo of then prime minister Malcolm Fraser reminded me of the "passionate" responses his presence would draw back in the day. Here is a photographer working for the "Australian" newspaper at an anti-Fraser demo in March 1979. Camera is an F2Ax, I would guess the lens to be a 28. I shot this with an F2AS & 35 f2 AI...as a wannabe photojournalist I had all the gear but no idea! ::)

Hans Schepers

RonVol

• NG Member
  • Fierce Koala Bear of the Great Southern Land
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2017, 19:50:34 »
Hugh's photo of then prime minister Malcolm Fraser reminded me of the "passionate" responses his presence would draw back in the day. Here is a photographer working for the "Australian" newspaper at an anti-Fraser demo in March 1979. Camera is an F2Ax, I would guess the lens to be a 28. I shot this with an F2AS & 35 f2 AI...as a wannabe photojournalist I had all the gear but no idea! ::)

Nice to see another Aussie on here  :) :)
Thanks for posting the photo.
Did you end up becoming a journo?

Hans_S

• NG Supporter
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 23:16:32 »
Hello Ron,

No, not a journo. Someone back then convinced me back then that my day job had more of a future, so I stuck with fixing computers!

Hans
Hans Schepers

RonVol

• NG Member
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 07:05:03 »
Photographer for the AP, Nick Ut with two F3 workhorses.
By the look of that AF Zoom 80-200mm f/2.8, looks like the shot is from around the late 1980s - early 1990s.
Seems that Nick preferred to still be using the F3 rather than the F4?

Looks like Nick has converted to Canon as most of the shots you see of him these days is of him using Canon's gear.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 11:28:12 »
Photographer for the AP, Nick Ut with two F3 workhorses.
By the look of that AF Zoom 80-200mm f/2.8, looks like the shot is from around the late 1980s - early 1990s.
Seems that Nick preferred to still be using the F3 rather than the F4?

Looks like Nick has converted to Canon as most of the shots you see of him these days is of him using Canon's gear.

No wonder that he continued to use F3 which outlived F4.

When Canon released either New F-1 or EOS-1, they offered a big campaign to the professional photographers: Canon offered them to replace their complete body/lens kits (mostly Nikon, of course) with Canon's equivalents in order to expand their user base to the photojournalists and sports photographers.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

RonVol

• NG Member
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 11:43:10 »
WARNING - anti Nikon rant ahead!

I must admit that Canon has really been doing the right thing ever since they changed their lens mount in the late 80s..
In the meantime; Nikon has stuck with the F mount and now we have the ridiculous situation of so many changes made to the mount that many of those changes are no longer backwards compatible. So-much for the much acclaimed redundancy that Nikon has always heaped on their customers.
No wonder so many pros have gone over to Canon.
With Nikon's silly 'Ambassador Program', it seems that the only pros using the gear are the ones being paid by Nikon to do so!
Of course, I know this is not really true but it sure does seem that way.
End of rant  :P

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 11:49:58 »
You are right, after they changed to the EF mount in 1987, they have done everything right,,, ;)
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 11:52:05 »
Frankly I have to agree that Canon could see the future better than Nikon by switching their mount from the pure mechanical FD to the pure electric FE, which make the users attach EF and EF-S lenses easier on the M models and even on the Sony E mount cameras!

With the introduction of E and AF-P lenses, Nikon's (in)compatibility scheme has become even more complicated.   :o :o
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 11:56:56 »
thats a small price to pay because I can use almost ALL F-mount lenses made on modern Nikon cameras :o :o :o

RonVol

• NG Member
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 12:00:57 »
thats a small price to pay because I can use almost ALL F-mount lenses made on modern Nikon cameras :o :o :o

While that maybe true for lenses; think about the cameras of the past.
You can't mount one of Nikon's modern lenses on many of the now redundant cameras and have even basic functionality.

paul_k

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Paul_k
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 14:03:48 »

I must admit that Canon has really been doing the right thing ever since they changed their lens mount in the late 80s..
In the meantime; Nikon has stuck with the F mount and now we have the ridiculous situation of so many changes made to the mount that many of those changes are no longer backwards compatible. So-much for the much acclaimed redundancy that Nikon has always heaped on their customers.
With Nikon's silly 'Ambassador Program', it seems that the only pros using the gear are the ones being paid by Nikon to do so!

Guess I completely disagree (in a friendly way) with you

As a then Canon user with several FL lenses (the Canon lens mount prior to the FD) I for one did not think the 'upgrade' to the EF mount was such a progress
I up till then was a two system user. Had my Canon with short FL lenses set from the early 70's, got a Nikon set to complement it with additional focal lengths when i started my professional photography studies in the early 80's
(Nikon really was the pros choice in those days, not so much because of 'superior' equipment, but of a better service/dealer network, better repair options and, very important for a budding photographer, wider availability of 2nd hand gear and 3rd party accesorries)

While I could still use my FL lenses with FD mount camera's, with the switch to the EF mount they became next to worthless (and in the late 70 early 80's one didn't switch systems or bought the next new thing as easy as seems the rule nowadays)
I held on to some of my Canon FL lenses, but after that made a more serious commitment to ( and investment in) my Nikon gear, especially as I could even use my manual lenses in AF mode on my F801 and later model film SLR's
I still can use my late 70's Ai lenses without any problems on both my FE and F2AS, as well as , without any need for a special adapter, on D7100, D3, D800 and DF, and even got a couple of pre Ai lenses I can still use on my Df, with fully functional TTL light metering.
While I can still use my AF D lenses on the above mentioned old film bodies, and even some of my AFS lenses on my later model film SLR's like F90X and F100, with functioning (multi mode) lightmetering and AF

Sure Nikon has not always made life easy ( the slow slow AF of the F4 they held on to for too long, the noisy low MP DX sensors prior to the D3)
From my experience, it was in the F4 days that many Nikon users, in particular sports shooters and photojournalists, switched over to Canon, not as much as because of 'problems' with backward lens compatibilty (as said, if you were a FL/DF user that was was much more of an issue) but because of the faster AF of the EOS1 and in particular EOS1N, and the lavish premiums Canon lured pros with if they switched (pretty much like Sony does nowadays)
But many photographers shooting other subjects (wedding, portrait etc) never made that 'mandatory' upgrade, and when Nikon introduced the F90X and F5 (and F100) saw the AF 'issue' solved.

But Canon has had its share of 'oops' moments as well ( the ultra fast, but also ultra unreliable AF of the 1D3, and later 7D, the for a long time compared to post D3 Nikon sensors inferior DR and chromatic noise, the mickey mouse built quality of their EOS 300+ series)

So in the end, both brands have had their strong and weak moments, and still do.
And of course when making statements about 'pro's' switching brands (and as a grumpy old man my observation is that many asssume themselves such far too easily, just based on a website with a pricelist and some equipment bought with their credit card), one should keep in mind that nowadays there's a constant wandering of GAS motivated shooters who 'upgrade' and switch (back, see Nikon D750 and D810) whenever any brand comes up with the best next thing

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 14:12:38 »
Ron said: After they changed the mount,,,,
Erik Lund

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 14:29:37 »

Well, Canon has their own ambassadors as well, and they didn't notice anything wrong with any of their cameras or lenses, they were all perfect even when the dynamic range was 3 stops behind Nikons ...

With digital sensors improving so rapidly, there is not so much point in using an older camera; if you want the best image quality, you need to use a modern camera. With film, things were different as each camera gave the same image quality as the film material used was a choice independent of the choice of camera body.

With this in mind, I am not sure why it is so important to use e.g. a D100 with a modern E lens. You can get much better results by using a newer camera that is also compatible with the new (and old) lenses.

It's much more common that one wants to use an older lens with a new camera than the other way around, as older lenses sometimes have special characteristics.

Of course, perfect compatibility would be nice. But I think it is best to think in terms of probabilities and real-world scenarios.

Daniel Bliss

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2017, 06:25:14 »
I don't think anything has really changed.  Nikon cameras have always been compatible with any lens released prior to or concurrently with the body's introduction (with the exception of lenses like the 6mm fisheye that require manual mirror lockup, and subject to issues such as viewfinder overhangs limiting the movement of shift lenses).  The only "major" exception to that is the obvious issue of AI modification (or in the case of certain bodies, you can instead choose camera modification) needed to make this true for lenses prior to 1977.  It just seems annoyingly stupid at the moment with AF-P being a mere firmware update away from any camera that Nikon chooses to fix for it, and E diaphragms being something Nikon should have introduced along with AF-I/AF-S focusing support with the F4 instead of sitting on it for the better part of two decades--not to mention something they should surely update the F6 for so that at least one film camera can handle it. 

You could say that, the E fiasco apart, that Nikon really planned things very well, with a lens mount back in 1959 that was simple enough and big enough in diameter to take any technological change thrown at it, and an autofocus switchover in the late 1980s that did not break prior or subsequent compatibility.  If only they'd just taken the E leap right when they took the autofocus leap.....I don't think anybody would be complaining now if that were the case.