Author Topic: Nikon D5 - first impressions  (Read 146378 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Nikon D5 - first impressions
« Reply #180 on: March 29, 2016, 22:58:21 »
The VR caveat raised by Nikon obviously only applies to long exposure or high ISO settings.

As so many of the Nikon's "Do NOT" warnings, probably is just that, a statement to the effect you are on your own and the manufacturer is not liable for any collateral damage.

The list of lenses/items not to  be used has been violated (by myself) for D2-,D3-, and D4-series models so no reason to believe the same tricks cannot be put in effect for the D5.

I do know, by the way, that the 2.1 cm f/4 Nikkor must never be attempted to mount on any Nikon except Nikon F, F2, and late series Nikkormats. Thus for this lens one is foolish not to heed the warning. Most others can be convinced to work even on a modern Nikon.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2016, 04:46:36 »
So at events, use a D810 for the ISO 100-1000 stuff and D5 for 3200-12800.
sold the D800 and never looked back, thank goodness :o :o :o

ill just use the D4 instead.

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2016, 04:56:28 »
.....marred by fog?

What in the world does that mean anyway? VR causes some light leak?
This is very strange indeed.

Electromagnetic interference between the VR system and the sensor?

Something like that. Not sure what exactly.

Here is a 151 second exposure straight out of the camera with the 70-200mm VRI lens mounted on the D700 and the lens cap on. iso was set to 6400, f/2.8, and VR turned on, I tried another exposure with the same settings only turned VR off and the red streak showed up in that frame as well. Many years ago I noticed the red streak in a long exposure I shot. I recall figuring out a way to get around it happening, I thought it was turning VR off but that doesn't appear to be changing anything at the moment. I think I posted about it on the old site but I can't seem to search old posts there.

Now that cameras have incredibly sensitive iso settings I could see this "leak" showing up not only in long exposures, but also at more extreme iso settings, hence the warning from Nikon I would suspect.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2016, 18:05:05 »
Just received my D5; batteries charged, set-up completed; ready to go !!!!
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2016, 20:41:21 »
Jim Kasson got its hands on a D5 yesterday and did some technical analysis:

Nikon D5 - Read noise vs. ISO setting
Nikon D5 — dark field histograms at low ISO settings
Nikon D5 — dark field histograms at high ISO settings
Nikon D5 — dark-field noise vs. shutter speed
Nikon D5 — self heating
Update 2016.03.31:
Nikon D5 — first pass modeling (incl FWC numbers)
Nikon D5 — first pass overall modeling

Probably more posts to come, as he announced that he will share his D5 findings in the next 2 weeks.
Seems like the D5 sensor architecture provides ample opportunity for the engineering community to figure out the new approaches Nikon has taken with this camera.

BTW, according to him:
"There appears to be digital scaling at all ISOs. That's not unusual for a Nikon. What is unusual is that there appears to be digital scaling for all ISOs in all four raw planes."
"EDR’s of around 11 are not terribly impressive these days. However, EDRs that stay above ten until ISO 6400 are pretty nice." (EDR = Engineering Dynamic Range)
"It looks like this camera holds some interesting secrets."

Seems like the time has arrived, that a significant chunk of digital signal processing has moved before the "RAW file" step in the image pipeline of the camera. Was only a matter of time.

Haven't found anybody doing some analysis about the evolution of the noise pattern design of single digit Nikon cameras. It looks like with every new generation of faster CPU processing and more advanced algorithms in the camera (Nikon marketing calls it Expeed), the noise pattern moves to the high frequency domain. Is probably a better "source material" to balance NR and detail preservation more effectively. tbc.

Jim Kasson's heat analysis shows that the D5 seems to be quite resilient in this regard. ("This looks exceptionally good to me. If the D5 has a self-heating problem, it must take a different protocol to excite it.")
Marianne Oelund shared in this post that the inconsistency she had with the D3s noise data vs. the D5 seems to be based on a high dependency of ambient temperature the D3s has.

rgds,
Andy

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2016, 21:52:25 »
Nikon NPS released the D5 Technical Tips (TIPS)
http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d5_tips/

Content

Useful Features
Custom Controls
Custom Control Assignments
Quick Menu Access
Custom folder
Taking Pictures
White Balance Tips and Tricks
AE with Constant Shutter Speed and Aperture
Preserving Natural Contrast
Multiple Exposure: Overlay Mode
Burst Photography: Keeping Exposure Consistent
Muffling the Shutter
Vibration Reduction: Sport Mode
Playback
Finding Pictures Quickly
Upload
Quick Network Connection
Checking Upload Status
Adding Text to Pictures
Accessories
Synchronized Release
Appendix
The D5 Versus the D4S: Controls and Displays

Sports AF Edition
Sports AF: Autofocus Basics
AF-Area Mode
Focus Points
Sports AF: Custom Settings
Sports AF: Custom Control Assignments
Auto AF Fine-Tuning 
Recommended AF Settings by Event
This section offers some advice on adjusting autofocus-related settings for different sporting events.
Overview: Settings by Event
Details: Settings by Event

Movie Edition
Movie-Related Camera Controls
Recording Movies
Before Recording
More on Movies
Time-Lapse Movies
Things to Note
Movie Playback Tips and Tricks
D5 Movie Specifications

D5 Things You Should Know
 ( a few videos of Nikon representatives)

rgds,
Andy

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #186 on: March 31, 2016, 01:05:01 »
Thom Hogan has seemingly started a D5/D500 blog style logbook:
http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/the-d5d500-blog/
If interested, you might check back in the future for more posts about his D5 experience

rgds, Andy

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #187 on: April 01, 2016, 00:03:20 »
Just published:
Dpreview's "real world" High ISO images
You might enjoy some of these.

rgds, Andy

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2016, 00:09:07 »
Erik Lund

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2016, 00:11:22 »

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #190 on: April 06, 2016, 00:53:00 »
Didn't have time the last days for posting new stuff. Here is a quick one:

Got my two 2933X 128GB Lexar XQD cards last friday. (The D5 can write between 3000 and 7000 photos per battery charge, which translates to between 80 and 190 GB data per charge) - in case you don't want to travel with a card reader/PC and battery charger.

The 128 GB cards are fast, really fast. Did I say fast?

To check the write speed, I set the camera to 12 frames/s. Saving to 14bit lossless NEF and large/fine JPEG simultaneously. Let it run at CH as long as it start to "stutter".

With this file setting, the camera bursts for 9 seconds to write 110 files (actually 220 files). Immediately after this burst, there was no green write lamp lighting up on the card door. Somehow irritated, I put the card in the PC and here we go: 220 files, 3 GB are there. Written in 9 seconds.
The card was able to write to the card as fast as the camera could produce data at 12 frames /sec. As I still had some doubts, I did it a second time. Again. 110 images in 9 second. This time, the light was 1 second on after I released the shutter. Kind of "slow" this time ;)

With the G-series 32GB Sony card, which came with the D5, write speed is still an impressive 285 MB/sec (the camera got 80 images until it "stuttered"). Same here. No write light after the burst.

Wow. This is very impressive.

I've never seen any camera being able to write between 285-330 MB/sec on its storage card. Some SSDs in notebooks are slower than this write rate.

Might be another area where the D500 might share some components with the D5. W'll see soon.

rgds,
Andy

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #191 on: April 06, 2016, 01:02:04 »
I tested this at the press launch, but then with jpgs and it was impossible to make the camera halt even at the highest firing rate. It just went on and on seemingly without any end. Adds a new dimension to the hackneyed phrase 'machine-gunning photography'.

The only thing that could slow down writing would be the file system tables taking time to be updated when there have been a lot of writing and deleting file entries. The occasional deep formatting of the card should reset it on track.

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #192 on: April 06, 2016, 01:32:38 »
wrt to "machine-gunning photography"
Just imagine that someone takes his D5 and within 10 hrs of the first working day reaches the 400k limit of the certified shutter actuations .....
The rest of the working year, he has to work through a pile of about 12 TB of pictures ..... (a year, if he needs less than 20 sec per photo of postprocessing time)
 ;)

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #193 on: April 06, 2016, 08:10:48 »
Very impressive speed! My D750 is quite slow in comparison, it can't even take advantage of the fastest sd cards.
Jørgen Ramskov

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #194 on: April 06, 2016, 08:11:38 »
Andy: I hear wonders about the low light AF performance. Can you confirm?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/