Author Topic: Occassional stuck mirror  (Read 11152 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Occassional stuck mirror
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2017, 21:45:04 »
Yeah, mine had the mirror lockup problem as well.  I'll make sure if "both" problems are solved when my camera is returned anyway.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

OCD

• Obsessive Corgi Disorder
  • NG Member
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 15:30:41 »
Akira, I just received my D750 back from Nikon, they replaced the shutter and gave it a "tune up."  The mirror lock up problem is now gone, so apparently that issue was related to the shutter.  All's well that ends well, the camera was gone about 10 days and returns with a shutter count back to zero (although the actuation count was not reset). 

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2017, 23:24:54 »
OCD, my D750 returned from Nikon a few days ago, too.  The shutter unit was replaced and the lock up seems to have gone as well.

The file number has continued from the last one before I had given the camera to Nikon, but I haven't made sure of the shutter count in the exif data yet.

ADDED:

I'm not sure how to display the exif data in CC2017.  In the "Raw Data" tab of file info, "aux:ImageNumber" says "10918".  If it is the shutter count, the shutter count is not reset.

OCD

• NG Member
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 04:25:05 »
I checked the Exif data using Preview on my Mac.  It shows the "Image Number."   If you have a Mac, then open an image in Preview, then got to Tools pulldown menu and select "Show Inspector."  Then you can select Exif and scroll down to where it indicates the Image Number.  Anyhow, I checked this before I sent the D750 to Nikon, and then upon return, so it seems accurate to me. 

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2017, 04:40:28 »
Apparently that is what I saw as aux: ImageNumber.  Is your Image Number reset to zero?  Mine seems to be the continuation from the number at the point where I send my camera to repair.

Hugh (Hugh_3170) says that there have been mixed reports as to the reset of the shutter actuation:

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,6201.0.html

Are we experiencing different results according to the area?

OCD

• NG Member
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2017, 16:17:27 »
Hi Akira, mine was not set to zero but continued on where it left off.  That's pretty much consistent with what I have read online.  I think Nikon might think it's the number of actuations by the camera, not the shutter, that matters.  Or perhaps they simply can't reset it, which wouldn't surprise me!  In any case, it's nice to have that mirror lock issue resolved and confidence that the camera is working as it should, I'm pretty happy about that. 

Note:  they did reset the file-naming convention to zero, but that's not the same thing as resetting the image count for Exif.  I think from what I read, some folks have the file name set to zero, and some don't.  On mine they did a re-set of all the settings, so that pushed it back to zero.   

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2017, 17:01:12 »
Hi Akira, mine was not set to zero but continued on where it left off.  That's pretty much consistent with what I have read online.  I think Nikon might think it's the number of actuations by the camera, not the shutter, that matters.  Or perhaps they simply can't reset it, which wouldn't surprise me!  In any case, it's nice to have that mirror lock issue resolved and confidence that the camera is working as it should, I'm pretty happy about that. 

Note:  they did reset the file-naming convention to zero, but that's not the same thing as resetting the image count for Exif.  I think from what I read, some folks have the file name set to zero, and some don't.  On mine they did a re-set of all the settings, so that pushed it back to zero.

If the file settings are back to zero then as you shoot from here on you will wind up with duplicate file numbers. No?

Just for my curiosity, what mechanical parts, aside from the shutter itself,  are in play when the shutter activates? I'm wondering if anything of consequence is subject to wear aside from the shutter itself when it activates. I'm trying to differentiate between actuations and shutter count, or why there is a difference.
Carl

OCD

• NG Member
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2017, 17:17:22 »
That's a good point on the filenames.  I changed the prefix on mine to differentiate.  OCD of course.  Haha.

I don't think there is a difference between actuations and shutter count, always thought those were the same thing.  The other item that is in action with the shutter is the mirror, but I don't really know the technical details to be honest.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2017, 17:27:21 »
Sorry for any confusion, but my question relates only to the resetting of the accumulative number of shutter actuations, and not the numeric suffix of the file name - the latter can be easily reset by the user at any time if he/she so wishes by selection of the appropriate sub command of the "File NO Sequence" command within THE CUSTOM SETTING menu. 
(FWIW, my personal preference is to reset the numeric suffix of the file name to 0001 each time I format a new card.  I also change the three character prefix to a meaniful set of characters to suit myself.)

Most EXIF viewers will allow one to see the accumulative number of shutter actuations in the image file metadata.  People here seem to be saying that for the current D750 recall and its shutter replacements that there is no resetting of the accumulative number of shutter actuations, as seen in the post repair metadata.
Hugh Gunn

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2017, 00:00:54 »
If the file settings are back to zero then as you shoot from here on you will wind up with duplicate file numbers. No?

Just for my curiosity, what mechanical parts, aside from the shutter itself,  are in play when the shutter activates? I'm wondering if anything of consequence is subject to wear aside from the shutter itself when it activates. I'm trying to differentiate between actuations and shutter count, or why there is a difference.

Yes, just like every time you have shot/pass 9.999 images,,,

The shutter itself,,, well, the shutter assembly contains all related parts together with the mirror box. Together there are many parts subject to wear but the extreme speed and accelerations of the blades kills the shutter at mostly unpredictable rate,,,

Erik Lund