Author Topic: Occassional stuck mirror  (Read 11153 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Occassional stuck mirror
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 04:22:58 »
Hear surgeon Werner? Wow. Impressed. Love the two first shots of the Poppelsdorf series. Lived there for 8 years, met my wife there.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 08:28:25 »
As no-one has mentioned firmware yet, I'll do it. Maybe it is a bug, haven't read all the things they fixed in the firmware updates.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 15:06:25 »
Tristin, you are apparently not the only getting the "Err" messages with the D750
http://nikonrumors.com/2016/04/26/new-nikon-d750-err-shutter-issue-reported-online.aspx/ 
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 16:02:13 »
I believe I have experienced that with my D750 once. Had to pull out the battery to get it working again.
Jørgen Ramskov

OCD

• Obsessive Corgi Disorder
  • NG Member
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 02:09:37 »
This has recently happened to me, I've had my D750 for about 18 months with zero issues.  I recently purchased a 58mm f/1.4 and a couple times this past week I got the ERR message and had to power off/on camera, press the shutter release again and it works fine after that.  Kind of disturbing because no issues with the D750 until now.  Turns out that this only happens when I first turn on the camera and with a 1/4000 shutter speed.  I can replicate this easily, by shutting off the camera for an hour and then taking the first shot at 1/4000.  And have done this with multiple lenses.  Apparently not an uncommon issue: http://www.digitalrev.com/article/nikon-d750-fast-shutter-speed-crashes-camera and there are plenty of other people complaining about this on the web.

From what I read online the remedy is to send the camera in to Nikon and have the replace the shutter assembly.  This seems like it is common enough to be a service advisory/recall kind of issue, but for whatever reason it is not.  Kind of a bummer.  Some people have sent it in have received the camera back and the issue is not remedied.  I agree with Bjorn that to send it in sooner rather than later is best, so I sent a message off to Nikon today and will see what they say. 

OCD

• NG Member
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 03:15:24 »
More info: https://petapixel.com/2016/04/26/nikon-users-reporting-yet-another-shutter-issue-d750/

This issue seems to be well known for at least a year.  The serial number of my camera is not part of either of the official recalls, but that is not uncommon for this issue.

Thanks for listening.

: )

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 03:47:14 »
happened to mine 1x or 2x and on a shoot no less  :o :o :o

OCD

• NG Member
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 23:09:58 »
Footnote:  The ERR message can be avoided by making sure the first photo taken at start up is at a slow shutter speed.  1/4000 for sure will cause the ERR message.  It is the same with me as with Tristin, a second press of the shutter release solves it, although sometimes I have to turn the camera off then back on.  From what I read online the only way to rid yourself of the issue is to send in the camera to Nikon for a new shutter assembly at a cost of about $250 US Dollars.

Feedback:  Do you think it is worth sending in?  My worry is that over time other damage could happen to the shutter mechanism or what not.

Thanks.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 00:47:05 »
I tried to switch my D750 on, set it in M mode, set the shutter speed to 1/4000 and released (this was the first shutter release after switching on).  Voila!  I could see Err message.    :o :o :o
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 01:05:17 »
It happened to me a couple of days ago for the first time. Three times in a couple of hours. First i tried to remove the lens as i was using the new 70-200e fl fit the first time. Then, as with every one else, just shutting again solved the problem.
   I can not reproduce the err with the 1/4000 method so it remains completely random in my case. It has not happened again

Hans_S

• NG Member
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 01:16:57 »
My D750 exhibited all the symptoms listed above prior to having the mirror box replaced under warranty.

It would also lock up with the mirror half way up. In these instances the only thing that would restore operation was physically pushing the mirror down...powering off/on or removing the battery would not release the mirror.
Hans Schepers

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 01:31:50 »
Mine has a shutter count of 54k

OCD

• NG Member
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2017, 03:38:34 »
Nikon finally issued a service advisory for the stuck mirror issue:  https://petapixel.com/2017/07/14/nikon-recalls-d750-third-time-shutter-issue/

Good news.  (I think this is why they installed a new shutter assembly no charge for Tristin recently)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2017, 05:52:53 »
My D750 turned out to be one of the affected bodies mentioned in the service advisory issued two days ago.  I took mine to Nikon service yesterday.  Hope the mirror lockup problem will be addressed along with the shutter problem.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

OCD

• NG Member
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2017, 16:45:28 »
I agree Akira.  Maybe Tristin can test his?  From a fresh boot (camera should be turned off about an hour or more) take first shot at 1/4000 and see what happens....