Author Topic: The Nikkor-Q 200mm f/4!  (Read 51332 times)

Peter

• "Remember You can only use one eye at a time"
  • NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
Re: The Nikkor-Q 200mm f/4!
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2017, 04:35:14 »
https://richardhaw.com/2016/04/21/repair-nikkor-q-135mm-f2-8/
This lens?  :o :o :o
it is a lovely lens and I liked it a lot! very dreamy!
That be the one.

John Koerner

« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2017, 21:03:35 »
crazy, I got this lens for $3.50  :o :o :o

What a steal!!  :o

John Koerner

« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2017, 21:04:56 »
The Nikon/Nikkormat Handbook, Joseph Cooper, states that the selected groups of the Nikkor-S 55/1.2 were the first to be multicoated, starting in 1969. The selection of surfaces being multi-coated were "guided" by the computer. I believe the 35/1.4 and 28/2 were multi-coated early on. I had one of those 55/1.2 lenses, but sold it and kept the Nikkor-SC.

Interesting. I had just asked a question about this not less than an hour ago.

Curious the distinction between this lens and the Noct. f/1.2

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2017, 05:53:59 »
Didn't the 24/2.8 N (9/7) also allegedly feature multi coating on 'certain elements', even in it's first, pre-.C version?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2017, 22:56:04 »
No, the 24/2.8 was the first lens with floating elements/close range correction (CRC)

The 55/1.2 may have been the first Nikkor with multicoated elements, if so it was a silent upgrade as I can't find any distinct start point. The multicoating was only on a few surfaces in the rear, it shows as a green reflection at certain angles, as opposed to the single-layer amber and reddish-purple coatings on the other surfaces. Nikon may have initially regarded multicoating as Nano Crystal Coating today - to be used only on selected surfaces which otherwise might cause a lot of flare. However, Nikon's multi-layer coating is tough enough to be used on external surfaces, and not too difficult to apply, so was applied to all lens surfaces within a few years. The first lens to be fully multicoated was the Nikkor-N 35/1.4, followed by the Nikkor-N 28/2 a few months later.

paul hofseth

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2021, 15:53:40 »
Interesting collection of texts on nikkor200ds, which I sought up today since I just aquired a  somewhat later rubber grip version of he 200

I particularly like the digressions in this thread, so let me fopllow up with a non 200Q remark. yesterday I compared it with the similar Angenieux "DEM APO" thing and found both to be roughly equally sharp at infinity on my Nikon7. Since I am of the less sensitive type not caring about bokeh, but only about resolution and contrast I did not bother to take a number of snaps.

p.

Hauge

• NG Member
  • Ol yellow FM
« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2021, 23:05:20 »
A question for you Nikkor 200/4 experts...

I have a sample of No.5 (What i suppose is the last version, of this great lens).

Not i have the chance to get my hands on a sample of No.3.
Will there be a difference?
And how?

The seller is stating, that i has some friction (dried out grease?)
So it would need at least a tear down, and relube...

Every input will be greatly appreciated.

And thanks for the borrowing of showed picture...
Ol nerd on a vintage budget...

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #127 on: December 27, 2021, 00:03:40 »
The optical formula is different.
See more on Roland’s pages:
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/index.html
You may find repair tips on Richard Haws site:
https://richardhaw.com/
Both are member on Nikongear.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #128 on: December 27, 2021, 08:57:15 »
The latest of the Q 200 Nikkor is a nice lens, not as sharp as the  AI/IAS versions that replaced it, but it handles better in my opinion.

The built-in lens hood is a little sloppy, like the other versions.

Hauge

• NG Member
  • Ol yellow FM
« Reply #129 on: December 27, 2021, 10:27:45 »
Bent and Birna, thank you very much!

The sites linked to, are very interesting, and bookmarked!

And as to handling. That is a very big issue, due to not having the best of motor skills.
There i'we often felt the AI as a little to light, and thus not used that much.
There the AF 80-200/2.8 ED (push-pull) handles better, though it really ain't up to the competition from the AI 200/4.
This is why, i hope to have the handling/weight, compared with (most of) the performance from the Prime...

Birna, may i ask, if You know, how the Q and AI differs? - Especially with the D200?

Best regards
Tonni
Ol nerd on a vintage budget...

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: December 27, 2021, 11:40:02 »
In my personal experience I found the 200/4 AIS to balance not equally well on a medium heavy camera as did the 200/4 Q. The focus travel is longer on the Q. The AI version has a nicer outline however foucsing is stiffer (I have tried several copies). The 200/4 AIS focuses smoother, perhaps too smooth, and has shorter travel. In terms of optical performance, the AI & AIS models outperform the Q Nikkors largely due to better image contrast, but perhaps their bokeh is a little less adorable.

In the ~200mm class, the Voigtländer 180mm f/4 APO is the smallest and sharpest, but its focusing travel is short and thus not an easy lens for hand-held shooting. Besides, it tends to be very elusive to find, and price is much higher.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #131 on: December 27, 2021, 14:22:29 »
Maybe the AF-Nikkor ED 200/3.5 (will only AF with F3AF / F4 etc.) could be considered for the optical quality?
They are a bit rare but quite cheap. It is a heavy lens because it has built-in AF-motor which is not used. It has to be used with MF. It will focus down to 2m. Focus ring is narrow and a bit stiff because it also turns the AF-motor but fully functional.
IF-focus and also a built-in shade. I got a mint one from Japan. The few test images I have shot with it indicated good optical quality but how it compares to the 180/4 for general photography I don't know?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: December 27, 2021, 14:58:26 »
The 200/3.5 ED is quite large and heavy, and to be frank, its ability in terms of manual focusing is very sub standard. In fact, slow and imprecise due to the drag of the AF system (never entirely decoupled). The little brother 80/2.8AF shares the drag "feature", but still feels a little less imprecise in its focus operation.

In terms of optical performance, the 200/3.5 ED is better than the straight 200  Nikkors, but not better than the 180/4 CV.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #133 on: December 27, 2021, 15:29:07 »
Just before the sun went down I took some of my usual test images with 200/3.5 at 3.5 handheld at ISO400 (Z50).
I have one of the F-buttons assigned to zoom in at the viewfinder for precise MF focus. The challenge is to hold body steady enough to verify exact focus in the viewfinder. With a little practice it is doable.
Have attached the full image and two 100% crops. I think the sensor resolution on Z50 limits what the lens can do at 3.5?
Lens should be purchased for sharpness and not for "ergonomics". On a tripod it will perform even better or maybe a body with IBIS?
Will expect the bokeh to be good also.......but have not looked into this yet.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #134 on: December 27, 2021, 19:00:00 »
The 200/3.5 ED looks almost like a scaled down version of the AIS 300/2.8 ED?

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor/F3AFlenses/index.htm
https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/telephotos/300mmedif28/index.htm

Both 8 elements in 6 groups (two front elements are ED-glass)?

They are also both from the same time period?