Author Topic: Scotland NG Gathering 2016: Projects  (Read 42606 times)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Re: Scotland NG Gathering 2016: Projects
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 23:51:51 »
Wildfowl of many types are plentiful along our two rivers and the shallows of Loch Tay; we have otter, badger, fox, red-deer, roe-deer (very often in our garden), Japanese sika, brown hare, beaver (!), pine-marten, golden eagles in the Lawers range, buzzards. kites, sparrowhawks, osprey, peregrine falcons and may other lesser species; I can testify to all the species named - I have seen them all, some, many times over; they share one attribute - they are all elusive to a high degree. A week might not be long enough to get useful images of even one chosen species, which is why I am not a wildlife photographer.

But . . . when the time comes I can tell you what I know, and hope that helps lessen the odds just a bit. It'll cost you, of course.   8)

Thanks, Dave, so I will bring a long lens.  Advice will be gratefully received.
Anthony Macaulay

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 08:31:44 »
Erik, Andrea, and I, maybe also Jan Anne, will arrive 1 week in advance and go to the island of Lewis. Not sure what other ground we manage to cover before Killin.

Great idea! Unfortunately, I cannot take more time off to join you..
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 08:47:34 »
Simone - there is a wealth of excellent and varied scenery within easy reach of Killin; I am trying to prepare an "information pack" for all participants which will give some details of our local landscapes etc, plus anything else which I find interesting and which is doable in a day. Many of the southern and central Highland's most famous locations are reachable from here - Rannoch Moor, Glen Etive, Glen Coe, Ben Nevis . . .  the islands are, of course, wonderful but I doubt if any can be visited comfortably in a single day from Killin - you would have to spend one night there. All things are possible.

That's great!
I understand that an island would be a bit of a stretch to visit in one day. But one could maybe reach Arran which Google Maps says is about 4h from Killin. I could imagine leaving sometime after midnight to stay up and photograph sunrise and into the morning. Then maybe take a nap before returning in the early afternoon for lunch. I'm sure this would pay off if the weather is right. I don't know whether someone would be in for such an adventure. Staying there for one night is another option.

But I'm awaiting your infos, maybe there is something more interesting within an easier reach, e.g. a nice stretch of coast. I can spend hours at a nice spot with interesting rocks for instance, this is photographer heaven for me :)
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 11:22:42 »
That's great!
I understand that an island would be a bit of a stretch to visit in one day. But one could maybe reach Arran which Google Maps says is about 4h from Killin. I could imagine leaving sometime after midnight to stay up and photograph sunrise and into the morning. Then maybe take a nap before returning in the early afternoon for lunch. I'm sure this would pay off if the weather is right. I don't know whether someone would be in for such an adventure. Staying there for one night is another option.

But I'm awaiting your infos, maybe there is something more interesting within an easier reach, e.g. a nice stretch of coast. I can spend hours at a nice spot with interesting rocks for instance, this is photographer heaven for me :)

There is one island which is reasonably accessible from here - Lismore - near the port of Oban (itself worth a visit). The ferry terminal for Lismore is Port Appin (also interesting) which is about an hour's drive from here. I've never been to Lismore myself, so I would probably join anyone who wanted to go there. Looking at Lismore on the internet - it looks good for a day out.

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 11:40:00 »
This is what is most interesting at Port Appin - Castle Stalker, which has a very long history.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 11:43:18 »
We need to go there!
Erik Lund

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 11:45:34 »
Castle Stalker, without a doubt!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 11:52:09 »
I'm up for this.
Anthony Macaulay

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 11:55:30 »
There is one island which is reasonably accessible from here - Lismore - near the port of Oban (itself worth a visit). The ferry terminal for Lismore is Port Appin (also interesting) which is about an hour's drive from here. I've never been to Lismore myself, so I would probably join anyone who wanted to go there. Looking at Lismore on the internet - it looks good for a day out.

Thanks! This looks nice!
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 13:24:13 »
I am in for any ports, seaside, old castles with young elves and good fish
Thomas Stellwag

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2016, 15:21:13 »

And... Oban has a distillery you can visit. :D
Chris Dees

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2016, 15:33:37 »
I follow in you wake...

All the things I hear sound just fantastic!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2016, 17:36:43 »
I'm planning to visit the Isle of May (near Anstruther) on Saturday (May 14th) for a birding day trip and find a B&B and go home the next day.
Anstruther is about 2,5 hour drive from Killin.
On the way to the ferry in NewCastle I'll pass Edinburgh Airport.
Chris Dees

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2016, 22:14:59 »
I'm planning to visit the Isle of May (near Anstruther) on Saturday (May 14th) for a birding day trip and find a B&B and go home the next day.
Anstruther is about 2,5 hour drive from Killin.
On the way to the ferry in NewCastle I'll pass Edinburgh Airport.

I leave May 15 by midday frim Edinburgh