Author Topic: Scotland NG Gathering 2016: Projects  (Read 42608 times)

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
Scotland NG Gathering 2016: Projects
« on: March 06, 2016, 12:09:30 »
For the upcomming Scotland trip I have a few projects for myself.
Besides chipping a few lenses there're a few other things.

I would like to do a comparison between the D810 + Tamron 150-600 against the D500 + 200-500 for things like IQ and AF.
As I have the D810 and Tamron lens I hope someone else already has the D500 and/or 200-500.

I have a broken NKJ 24/2.8 AI-d (Jan-Anne and I tried to clean and lubricate the lens but miserable failed :() and a beaten up/stuck 24/2.4 N.
If possible I want to take the AI-kit to the other lens, have it cleaned and then make it a silver version (like the 45/2.8P). I will have the necessary stuff with me.

Perhaps there're other members who will have projects defined for them selves.
Chris Dees

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: Scotland NG Gathering 2016: Projects
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 19:45:48 »
My ultimate project would be to intravenously inject large quantities of malt whisky into my veins.
The rest is irrelevant :)

I will however support all projects  ;)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 21:16:30 »
My ultimate project would be to intravenously inject large quantities of malt whisky into my veins.
The rest is irrelevant :)

I will however support all projects  ;)

It's better to buy your malt whiskey over here as it is cheaper.
I'm not sure how customs will react on your needles. "D
Chris Dees

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 15:49:56 »
For me the Scotland trip has taken a wide turn,,, Renting a Nikkor 6mm f/2.8 comes with a lot of consequences like a stable and strong off center tripod, transportation and weight of it all and the sheer size of the Big Eye,,,  ::)

So not much room for other lenses and tools, clean underwear,,, Let's see, it all usually works out  :D
Erik Lund

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 16:56:29 »
I have not yet figured out what to do. A tendency to travel light is definitely there, like two bodies, two optics (or three) and a notebook.

Panoramas I usually only do indoors or as group shots, so leaving the heavy Precision 360 head at home might be a good idea.

My other heartbeat say I should be bold, get a D5 and a 200-500 and try something I never tried before: Chasing bird & other wildlife in the mountains.

Then I think again: no, I will only take the 35/14 Ai-S and shoot portraits of the attendees ....

My guess is I decide spontaneously. If the pound keeps dropping I might be camera shopping in Edinburgh and test new equipment in Scotland.

I wish we could somehow get good mobile light to Killin to have a cooking & shooting session with some inspirational liquids...

I wish I find a way to make my monorail fit for the field.

you see? dreaming of a great holiday!

PS: Edinburgh has a Calument, so renting things might also be an idea
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 17:02:14 »
For me the Scotland trip has taken a wide turn,,, Renting a Nikkor 6mm f/2.8 comes with a lot of consequences like a stable and strong off center tripod, transportation and weight of it all and the sheer size of the Big Eye,,,  ::)

So not much room for other lenses and tools, clean underwear,,, Let's see, it all usually works out  :D

I come by car and will bring a trunk load of lenses AF as well as MF. ;D
Chris Dees

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 17:43:45 »
Dave, what are your views about any wildlife photography opportunities while we are in Killin?
Anthony Macaulay

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 18:04:05 »
Then I think again: no, I will only take the 35/14 Ai-S and shoot portraits opf the attendees ....
Frank, photographing each other is part of the fun on a NG event but if your soul purpose is to harass members all day long by sticking a lens in their face I think you'll find yourself shooting the inside of a dark closet very quickly ;) ;D :)

Same happens to the people stealing my shot before I could capture it myself btw  ;D ;D ;D
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 18:09:10 »
Dave, what are your views about any wildlife photography opportunities while we are in Killin?
Drive around slowly in the evening, you should be able to shoot some small deer.

From the car

D300 with 70-200/2.8VR and 1.7TC, Scotland 2008

Bigger deer will be plentiful further up North, we saw dozens on our way to Fort Williams.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 18:18:56 »
Besides discussions, cooking, fondling equipment etc., I would like to visit and work some of the landscapes that Scotland boasts. I have a few ideas in mind, but since I've never been to Scotland myself, I would welcome suggestions and alternatives.

1) Nearby mountains (the hike suggested by my namesake Simone Tomasi sounds perfect, but I think there will be enough subject material to spend another day there, which is maybe more focused on the photography aspect).
2) Lochs, maybe within Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park?
3) Maybe we can visit the coast or even an island, I suppose there are nice places that are within reach. Arran or Eigg attract me the most, but let's see what others think of this idea.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 18:25:21 »
Erik, Andrea, and I, maybe also Jan Anne, will arrive 1 week in advance and go to the island of Lewis. Not sure what other ground we manage to cover before Killin.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 18:54:35 »

JanA: My project was to shoot one formal portrait per person, not a random collection of snapshots which will definitely be created anyway.

A conceptual body of work whichof I will prepare the concept before I start it. A recognizable consitency over the whole series.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 21:27:41 »

Wildfowl of many types are plentiful along our two rivers and the shallows of Loch Tay; we have otter, badger, fox, red-deer, roe-deer (very often in our garden), Japanese sika, brown hare, beaver (!), pine-marten, golden eagles in the Lawers range, buzzards. kites, sparrowhawks, osprey, peregrine falcons and may other lesser species; I can testify to all the species named - I have seen them all, some, many times over; they share one attribute - they are all elusive to a high degree. A week might not be long enough to get useful images of even one chosen species, which is why I am not a wildlife photographer.

But . . . when the time comes I can tell you what I know, and hope that helps lessen the odds just a bit. It'll cost you, of course.   8)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 21:43:17 »
Besides discussions, cooking, fondling equipment etc., I would like to visit and work some of the landscapes that Scotland boasts. I have a few ideas in mind, but since I've never been to Scotland myself, I would welcome suggestions and alternatives.

1) Nearby mountains (the hike suggested by my namesake Simone Tomasi sounds perfect, but I think there will be enough subject material to spend another day there, which is maybe more focused on the photography aspect).
2) Lochs, maybe within Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park?
3) Maybe we can visit the coast or even an island, I suppose there are nice places that are within reach. Arran or Eigg attract me the most, but let's see what others think of this idea.

Simone - there is a wealth of excellent and varied scenery within easy reach of Killin; I am trying to prepare an "information pack" for all participants which will give some details of our local landscapes etc, plus anything else which I find interesting and which is doable in a day. Many of the southern and central Highland's most famous locations are reachable from here - Rannoch Moor, Glen Etive, Glen Coe, Ben Nevis . . .  the islands are, of course, wonderful but I doubt if any can be visited comfortably in a single day from Killin - you would have to spend one night there. All things are possible.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 22:19:10 »
Apart from the pleasure of meeting friends, old and new, I am going hoping that the trip will be blessed by weather that will let me do nature photography, principally landscapes.
I also hope to get some photographic hiking done, as already mentioned.
In general I would like to shoot with the best light, which means getting up early and going to bed late; eating, sleeping and socializing hours would have to give at least a bit to this priority.

As much as I would like to get a good shot of interesting species of wildlife, I will not miss other opportunities chasing something that has very low odds of success.

Simone Tomasi