Author Topic: Pink Parka Girl  (Read 4012 times)

jeremycole

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Pink Parka Girl
« on: February 28, 2016, 09:26:31 »
Hello, all.

I recently purchased an old 20mm f2.8 AF Nikkor and took a few test shots. This one was taken on a Nikon F with natural light coming in the window at f2.8 at 1/60, hand held on 400 ASA film.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Best,

Jeremy

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Pink Parka Girl
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 09:39:12 »
The lens surely looks to be capable enough. I much prefer the manual-focus version, but users of the AF challenge me all the time on that view and I must admit it for me boils down to the tactile feeling and build not optics per se. The AF 20 on a Nikon F must present a strange appearance. However, the combination also illustrates what backwards compatibility is about.

Using a wide lens up close is an exercise in arranging the camera so as to avoid the most disclosing or annoying geometric distortions caused by the steep perspective. I think you have done a good job here as her facial features are perceived as normal and pleasing. The eye expression is caught well.

jeremycole

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 19:04:24 »
Thanks for your feedback Bjørn.  This is my first AF lens and after handling the older metal Nikkors I was a little disappointed with the feel of it. However, it seems like the optics are comparable and the price was right!  I now have a good little collection of used Nikkors and am learning which lenses I like to use for which situation and what kind of emotional quality each one can deliver.  I don't like to disclose the lens distortions to the point that it becomes the focus of the viewer's attention however I do enjoy the subtle roundness it can deliver, making shots something more than literal. I'm curious to know if folks here would typically match up this lens with this kind of subject or would they choose another lens, and why?

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 20:03:47 »
It is really difficult to make a portrait with a 20mm, but you have succeeded beautifully.
Anthony Macaulay

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 20:23:02 »
I'm curious to know if folks here would typically match up this lens with this kind of subject or would they choose another lens, and why?

I enjoy a good wide angle portrait when distortion is not an overwhelming factor, it renders the scene in a unique way that can only be done by getting close with a wide angle. So yes I think it is a good match, as you have demonstrated here. That said it is also nice to give your subjects some breathing room and get the angle of view that only a longer lens can deliver. So yes, I would choose another lens also. Both.

I like your colors, was this Kodak Portra by chance?

jeremycole

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 20:47:24 »
Thanks Anthony and Charlie.  Your feedback is appreciated. 

Yes, that was Kodak Portra 400.  Good eye!

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 15:18:22 »
I have one of those 20mm AF lenses.  Time to use it more.

Jim Covello

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • The Artful Engineer
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 20:41:36 »
Nice job. It is really hard to pull off a head-shot with a 20mm.  I think the key is having the nose to the side...it keeps it from appearing hugely out of proportion. I will have to remember that trick!

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 21:50:00 »
Jeremy, given the natural appearance of the girl's face I never would have imagined that this photo was taken with a 20mm lens.  Well done!

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 02:13:13 »
Nice job. It is really hard to pull off a head-shot with a 20mm.  I think the key is having the nose to the side...it keeps it from appearing hugely out of proportion. I will have to remember that trick!
This plus the large soft light source coming from a not-to-sidey angle.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 04:02:28 »
Jeremy, given the natural appearance of the girl's face I never would have imagined that this photo was taken with a 20mm lens.  Well done!

I would second Bill.  The portrait looks surprisingly natural with only slight exaggeration of the perspective.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 09:29:00 »
We should ask the Pink Parka Girl if she is pleased with the result. Not so sure .....
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 09:41:50 »
I like the portrait, good light and framing and well done with a 20mm.  (as others said before)

Although I prefer manual lenses the 20/2.8 AF works very well and better than the Ai-S version I had before, but that may be sample variation and/or personal preference.