Author Topic: Discovering the wonders of the written words  (Read 2357 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Discovering the wonders of the written words
« on: June 20, 2015, 15:56:24 »
the topic title says it all. My son captured during a visit to the local library with the 85 mm f/1.4 AIS Nikkor set wide open (Nikon F4).

The image has been published many times also on magazine front covers so there is no doubt the 85 AIS is "sharp enough" ...

In common with the longer 105 mm f/2.5 Nikkor, both lenses do well at the wider apertures. True, you are not getting the pinnacle of their performance here but do consider what you use such lenses for at that settings anyway. You'll get plenty of sharpness and in both cases, a nice and creamy background.

The 85/1.4 can flare a bit when the subject is strongly backlit so ensure you use the longest possible hood that won't create vignetting. The successor AFD 85 mm f/1.4 Nikkor had less flare and kept the attractive bokeh wide open. The latest incarnation, AFS 85 mm f/1.4 Nikkor G has higher contrast and less flare thanks to its nano coatings.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
Re: Discovering the wonders of the written words
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 17:33:15 »
Perfect image for the perfect title. I can see this photo illustrating a ton of stories.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 13:51:18 »
It feels like a step back in time for me. Reminds me that the local library has just relocated to a new building on the harbour and opened just this past weeekend. I got to go down there soon and experience it.
Jørgen Ramskov

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 14:56:21 »
I was a regular at the local libraries starting at the age of 10. Tons of books. I wish my son would start to read and enjoy as much as my wife as my wife and I do. Great perfectly balanced telling shot
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/