Author Topic: My first chipping of a Nikkor  (Read 9521 times)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: My first chipping of a Nikkor
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 11:24:28 »
Richard, the pitch is metric coarse, with a 0.3mm pitch/thread. 

I know that this sounds strange, but within the metric system there are several different pitches for screws of the same nominal diameter, and for M1.4, the fine pitch variant is 0.2mm/thread. 

Edit:  The terms "coarse" and "fine" should not be confused with the quality of the screw - the terms refer to the suitability of the screw to suit the materials that they are to be screwed into.  Coarse threads are usually used with tougher materials and fine pitched threads are usually preferred for screwing into softer materials.  Since the backing plates of the Nikon contact blocks are of good quality steel, coarse threads are to be preferred in such an application.

If your supplier can provide these screws at an affordable price, I am sure that there will be many people here on the NG site that would be interested in obtaining smaller quanties than 10,000 at an affordable price.  The Nikon screws are excellent, but they are not cheap.

Hugh Gunn

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 11:43:48 »
Richard, the Nikon screws for the Nikon contact block that Bjørn has given you the part number for are stainless steel screws, they are M1.4 (i.e. metric, 1.4mm thread diameter), they are 3mm overall length, and have a 2mm head diameter (as noted above). 

The head is variously described as a cone head, flat head, or counter sunk head depending on what part of the world you are in.

Your right 1.4mm the drill is 1.6mm to have 0.2mm of space - Sorry I'll correct it!

I would strongly advice not to try to find these unless you know they are identical.

Martial is some sort of very hard stainless steel alloy, not plain stainless steel that's way too soft,,,
Erik Lund

Edgy01

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2016, 07:38:14 »
This forum appears to have a VERY HIGH concentration of very brave and/or patient people!!  I applaud you!

Dan
Santa Barbara, CA