Author Topic: Modify/edit posts?  (Read 3491 times)

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
Modify/edit posts?
« on: June 19, 2015, 18:23:25 »
Can we no longer modify/edit our own posts?

Cheers
Bez
Bez

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
Re: Modify/edit posts?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 18:30:52 »
this would be very bad... i just took a look and the edit button is missing..

I USE THIS ALL THE TIME.

but at least for some immediate time after you post you can modify..   - i just modified this sentence
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 19:47:57 »
We had to limit the time window in which editing is possible. This to prevent post thrashing and site disruption which unfortunately can occur and difficult to control. You cannot delete your own posts.

I think the window of opportunity should be 3-4 hours after the original is posted. Maybe some settings need to be provided again when the Subscriber membership was introduced. I'll look into this ASAP.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 19:58:23 »
I set the Allowed Edit time window to 4 hours. After that period elapses, you need to make another post as you no longer can edit the original.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 20:12:07 »
Please check that new posts now can be edited ....

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 20:26:16 »
I see your point but personally I prefer control over my content.

I add the title to new images added to this thread  "#Not so close Brotherhood ...one day in FRANKFURT". It no longer makes sense could you please change to   #...one day in FRANKFURT

Cheers
Bez
Bez

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 20:35:18 »
Wish all members were as controlled and agreeable as you :D

We however have to cater for the worst cases. Like airport security which the bad guys usually can get through while the majority of nice people are bothered to no avail.

I'll change the thread title as per your request.

The_Traveler

• NG Member
  • Good to be here at the NikonGear
    • lewlortonphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 20:38:52 »
just looking for new capability

Modify button appears - thanks
Lew Lorton
The_Traveler
a non-technical shooter

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 20:45:51 »
Wish all members were as controlled and agreeable as you :D

We however have to cater for the worst cases. Like airport security which the bad guys usually can get through while the majority of nice people are bothered to no avail.

I'll change the thread title as per your request.

Thank you Bjørn

Bez

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 01:58:41 »
We had to limit the time window in which editing is possible. This to prevent post thrashing and site disruption which unfortunately can occur and difficult to control. You cannot delete your own posts.

I think the window of opportunity should be 3-4 hours after the original is posted. Maybe some settings need to be provided again when the Subscriber membership was introduced. I'll look into this ASAP.

Fully agree and concur.
On another site, our window is only 1 hour, which usually allows plenty of time to correct commonly made errors.

For all other edits after this, the membership needs to report the issue to a moderator.
Arthur

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 02:32:25 »
We try now with a 4 hour window and gain experience with that setting.

Ideally, I agree the edit window should only be open for a short time, but within the course of the day too many things happen to interrupt editing. So we have to cut some slack.

The problem is of course if the window isn't closed and people start to thrash threads by removing allegedly contentious material. We have had that occurring already and the Team will not accept further suchlike incidents. Anyone trying to remove their content without a very good reason will be put on Moderator Watch and will need approval for further posts.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 02:49:41 »
my reason is that i am not well enough thought out to get it right the first time.. so i appreciate the ability to edit my responses.

* i edited this response once after posting *
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 03:08:18 »
Just one other question re the deleting of posts.
Does this forum software offer the option to hide posts.
I'm a mod on another forum, and sometimes it's just the right thing to do when some folks properly transgress socially acceptable boundaries(racial/personal/etc)

With the hidden posts method, any potentially insulting comments are hidden from view, but not deleted.
There is a mark noted for that particular reply that it was removed, but can be reinstated if required.

With respect to such offensive material in threads, we move the thread to a moderators only 'bad thread dump'.
We never physically delete any material on this other site either, just move it out of view when common sense implies it's the correct thing to do.

While the allocated time for editing is inconsequential to me, I think(as a forum moderator) 4 hours is probably too long.
On the site where I am a mod(Ausphotography), we've found that the 1 hour leeway is ideal.
Gives folks plenty of time to review their posts, more than enough time for someone else to reply and highlight some issue too .. etc.
And of course if the member realises that an edit is needed beyond this time they simply notify a mod to assist.

Irrespective of all this .. it's just good to be back on NG :D
Arthur