Author Topic: The 55mm Micro-Nikkor family  (Read 19928 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: The 55mm Micro-Nikkor family
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2018, 05:11:21 »
The Nikkor-N 35/1.4 and Nikkor-N 28/2 are the first Nikkors with multi-layer coatings on all lens surfaces. These lenses have deep red, blue and green coatings. The marketing department did not think to advertise the fact until a year later when the ".C" designation reappeared. This time it is white (not red as before) and indicates the lens has multi-layer coatings.

I believe Nikon and Canon were a coy about first double coating and then multi-coating lenses at a time when they had an inventory of single coated lenses to sell off. I've seen a few clearly multi-coated Nikkors with out the "C" designation. The one I remember for certain was a 45/2.8 GN Nikkor.

Dave Hartman 
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

chambeshi

« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2018, 09:28:39 »

The latest advance is Nano Crystal Coating which from memory first appeared on the AF-S 300/2.8 VR in 2004. This coating is fragile so can only be used on selected internal surfaces.
Correct, This is emphasized in the commemorative book Eyes of Nikkor. N-coating is one of the features distinguishing the excellent IQ of the 300 f2.8G. Presumably, the first Micro-Nikkor to receive the N-coating was the 105mm f2.8G IF-ED VR in Feb 2006, followed by the 60 f2.8G released in January 2008.

One might suspect the N-coating specifications has been modified since introduction.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2018, 11:28:00 »
At the risk of repeating what has already been said about coatings (but hopefully putting it all together in one place so it makes sense ...)

Roland, thank you for chiming in and make the matter clear!  I was expecting your input.  :)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira