Author Topic: The 55mm Micro-Nikkor family  (Read 19930 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: The 55mm Micro-Nikkor family
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 03:17:24 »
congrats to your very nice collection!
I am always awed by the high level of correction the modest 5 lens  55mm f3.5 achieve over a wide range of magnification (more precisely reduction ratios).

Thanks, Bernard! they are indeed very good value for money lenses!  :o :o :o

i do understand that the 60mm is the successor to the 55mm's but i do not really consider them to part of the same pedigree for some reasons...the 60mm's just do not have the appeal of the 55's

eno789

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 06:10:42 »
Very nice collection.

Between the 5.5cm f/3.5 and Micro-Nikkor-P, there is an excellent Micro-Nikkor compensating type, isn't it?

I recently acquired one such lens, and am very happy about its performance. Kind of contrary to what I heard, it's great at mid to far distance too.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 07:29:36 »
Very nice collection.

Between the 5.5cm f/3.5 and Micro-Nikkor-P, there is an excellent Micro-Nikkor compensating type, isn't it?

I recently acquired one such lens, and am very happy about its performance. Kind of contrary to what I heard, it's great at mid to far distance too.

yes! i actually own 3-4 compensating types  :o :o :o

the lens design itself has reached perfection and it is very hard to make it even better. according to some, it should be the BEST in 1:1 magnification and so-so on mid range. the difference is there but not so much to be honest. they all do perform very similarly regardless of generation (except for the 1st one)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 09:54:55 »
The Micro-Nikkor 55 mm f/3.5 design is optimised for 1:10. However, its performance only declines slowly away from the optimum, so in most cases one will not notice much difference, at least in the near range.

I recall vaguely, from a time deep into the past, some Nikon statements to the effect that due to its popularity as an all-round normal lens, later versions of the 55/3.5 were tweaked to perform better for distant subjects.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 10:39:55 »
I recall we have talked about this before...

Here is Nikons version, it's together with the story behind the  55mm f/2.8

http://www.nikkor.com/story/0025/

Then time passed and the age of Nikon F began. Mr. Wakimoto redesigned the very popular Micro NIKKOR for S-type cameras, with an extended back focus distance. As a result, Micro NIKKOR 55mm f/3.5 was born with a focal length increased by 5mm, helping Micro NIKKOR to firmly establish its reputation. In 1961, the manual-type lens was introduced allowing shooting at a magnification of up to life size with the single-unit lens barrel. In 1963, Micro NIKKOR Auto 55mm f/3.5 came out with an unchanged optical system, a lens unit maximum magnification limited to 1/2x, and automatic aperture control. This Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 had been well received without any change to the basic design of the optical system for about 19 years, until the Ai Micro Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 went on sale.

I recall having measure different sizes of the elements of these different versions of the 55mm f/3.5... so I don't understand the above...

Richard do you have time to look into measuring the rear element of these and the position to the F-mount surface to see if there are differences, Please  ;)
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 11:20:13 »
Just checked and they have different back focal distance,,,
Erik Lund

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 15:49:12 »
Very nice collection.

I have the same experience with the 55 model from 1963.

Bernard Delley

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 16:50:58 »
Richard, somewhere above you mentioned that you were testing these lenses. You certainly have an excellent  collection to figure out if the optimization has noticeably changed over the lens versions, especially from the compensation to the AI lens type.

I still hold that a clear (glossy) computer screen (showing "white") provides a suitable, and precisely reproducible  target for extreme closeup testing. It should show clearly if the optimization has changed for close-ups.  If the later versions had been tweaked to be optimal for greater reductions than the initial optimization for reducing  Kanji characters for micro film purposes,  it should show up in the extreme closeup range.  I an earlier thread I gave an account of such testing, which showed no evidence of optical difference between my sample of compensating versus my sample of AIs.

The most prominent deficiency of the 55mm f/3.5 optics in the 1:2 to 1:1 range is the lateral chromatic aberration. Of course this is far away from its optimal working setup. Also most of the lateral chromatic is easily corrected in the digital age.

Longitudinal chromatic aberrations are easily 'seen' when adjusting focus manually. One can strive to optimally focus on the green screen patches to arrive at a consistent comparison of lens characteristics. 

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 20:11:35 »
Just checked and they have different back focal distance,,,
Yes the early type (preset 1:1 and compensating) has 37.9mm back-focus.
The non-compensating Micro-Nikkor-P, K and AI versions have  38.3mm back focus.
The middle drawing is confusing however as it gives both dimensions for the same lens!

I have Nikon manuals for both versions, and both state the lens is optimized for 1:10, even though the later one is tweaked to perform better at far distances (not sure how optimum ration can remain the same?)

This change is reflected on my site http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#55Micro by a thin dark line between the earlier and later versions (thick line between versions indicates completely new optical design)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 23:28:22 »
Thanks Roland, I never noticed the thin thick line difference like that ;)
The images are from the Mir site there is a long description of the lenses,,,
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2016, 01:51:16 »
Richard, somewhere above you mentioned that you were testing these lenses. You certainly have an excellent  collection to figure out if the optimization has noticeably changed over the lens versions, especially from the compensation to the AI lens type.

I still hold that a clear (glossy) computer screen (showing "white") provides a suitable, and precisely reproducible  target for extreme closeup testing. It should show clearly if the optimization has changed for close-ups.  If the later versions had been tweaked to be optimal for greater reductions than the initial optimization for reducing  Kanji characters for micro film purposes,  it should show up in the extreme closeup range.  I an earlier thread I gave an account of such testing, which showed no evidence of optical difference between my sample of compensating versus my sample of AIs.

The most prominent deficiency of the 55mm f/3.5 optics in the 1:2 to 1:1 range is the lateral chromatic aberration. Of course this is far away from its optimal working setup. Also most of the lateral chromatic is easily corrected in the digital age.

Longitudinal chromatic aberrations are easily 'seen' when adjusting focus manually. One can strive to optimally focus on the green screen patches to arrive at a consistent comparison of lens characteristics.

Bernard, that is a handy way to test lenses  :o :o :o

i will probably do that lens this weekend or the next weekend.

sometimes, the differences are in the sample variation. i have 4 compensating models and some are a bit sharper (despite being found in a junk box with dirt covering the lens). i will find the sharpest compensating model and use that to test against the P/C version (when the optics was changed).

And finally, the sharpest 3.5 will go against the 55mm f/2.8

the 55mm AF will be excluded since it is a misfit  ::)
the 5.5cm is just "not there". my sample is not very good since it was found in a junk box and the rear element has a 2mm scratch. but Matthew Lin (from Nikkor Lenses) tested his and it was a stellar performer.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2016, 01:58:26 »
Yes the early type (preset 1:1 and compensating) has 37.9mm back-focus.
The non-compensating Micro-Nikkor-P, K and AI versions have  38.3mm back focus.
The middle drawing is confusing however as it gives both dimensions for the same lens!

I have Nikon manuals for both versions, and both state the lens is optimized for 1:10, even though the later one is tweaked to perform better at far distances (not sure how optimum ration can remain the same?)

This change is reflected on my site http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#55Micro by a thin dark line between the earlier and later versions (thick line between versions indicates completely new optical design)

Ronald, i have been gong to your site more than 10X a day! you deserve a pint!  :o :o :o

as far as i know, the optical changes (milestones) were:
5.5cm f/3.5
55mm f/3.5 compensating (metal grip, for me this is where the series really started).
55mm f/3.5 P/PC to K & Ai (slight change in lens group)
55mm f/2.8 Ai-S (totally new optics, this is where the series truly ended)

55mm f/2.8 AF is the same as the lens it succeeded optically.

i got the documentation for these lenses and i am not sure if they indicate the optical changes explicitly but they do include drawings of the optics.

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2016, 02:05:48 »
as far as i know, the optical changes (milestones) were:
5.5cm f/3.5
55mm f/3.5 compensating (metal grip, for me this is where the series really started).
As far as I know, these two have the same optics. I repeat the quote from Eric, which was quoted from the Nikon site:

In 1961, the manual-type lens was introduced allowing shooting at a magnification of up to life size with the single-unit lens barrel. In 1963, Micro NIKKOR Auto 55mm f/3.5 came out with an unchanged optical system, a lens unit maximum magnification limited to 1/2x, and automatic aperture control.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2016, 03:41:49 »
As far as I know, these two have the same optics. I repeat the quote from Eric, which was quoted from the Nikon site:

In 1961, the manual-type lens was introduced allowing shooting at a magnification of up to life size with the single-unit lens barrel. In 1963, Micro NIKKOR Auto 55mm f/3.5 came out with an unchanged optical system, a lens unit maximum magnification limited to 1/2x, and automatic aperture control.

Thanks! myth busted  :o :o :o

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2016, 07:57:49 »
We tend to do it like that here on NikonGear ;)

On a side note to help out Roland, please check if you have lenses outside of his list of serial numbers and dates etc. to keep the site up to date!  :D
Erik Lund