Author Topic: [Theme] Monochrome colour scenes (not black and white conversions)  (Read 111687 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
This thread is to post full RGB shots in which the scene is monochrome, not the processing or from the rare monochrome cameras.

This opens the opportunity to create monochrome scenes like a full set of stuffed animals, clothes and toys from a girls room all in pink or purple, desert scenes all in brown and yellow tones or night scenes in which "all cats are grey"...

Here is a classical "all grey" day scene (D600 1.4/35mm AiS @1.4 & 1/1600 s)
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Monochrome, but not black and white
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 10:27:37 »
I'll open with this image, obtained while I was doing a study on the water-air interface and its geometry. This was conducted in order to get a better understanding of what is known as "flashing" in underwater light measurements. The "flashing" itself is rapid oscillations of high- vs low-intensity light, the intensity of which can surpass that of the incident sunlight several times. The casual observer can observe it as a pattern of bright ripples across the bottom of a swimming-pool or floor of a shall lake.

I did this by using the water film itself as a refractive interface and placed a light-sensitive paper 10 cm below the surface. In practice I went to the nearby river, unfortunately at that time in violent spate, at the darkest time of the night, around 0230 (late summer), bravely waded the river until I had water chest high, then exposed in sequence the sheets of paper in my 8x10" film holder using a SB-24 flash as light source. Had to hold the flash in my mouth because the hands were occupied with the film holder and the photosensitive medium. Then, after exposing my two sheets, back to my home where I temporarily arranged my bath to become a dark-room. Took me a couple of nights to get acceptable quality and overall it was a very cold and wet experience. Which I wouldn't have been without.

The photo paper was b/w, but I found the images were easier to interpret if they were tinted, so added a "water blue" to them.

By the way, the interface pattern is fractal and in the processing, I ended up with a jpg that grew exponentially lest I added some blur to the original scan.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 10:43:54 »
Fascinating and confusing.  Is it a stretch to the topic? I wait and see what other ideas might pop up. I have
some I my archive and some inmy head... need time.... full schedule...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 11:10:03 »
The capture was on b/w photo paper ... Should fit your theme perfectly ....

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 12:04:24 »
Interesting effect and story, Bjørn.

A sample of green's.  But in comparision with a real green one. I was looking for the right definition of 'Monochrome'. 

Original   and the second one with colours in green-channel only (hence Photoshopped)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Monochrome scenes, not black and white conversions
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 14:21:22 »
I changed the title to "Monochrome scenes, not black and white conversions"

To better distinguish it from other threads.

John. Love the first one better. A natural, fresh impression.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 14:23:29 »

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 15:27:01 »
Imposing aliens ....

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 16:04:04 »
I'll open with this image, obtained while I was doing a study on the water-air interface and its geometry. This was conducted in order to get a better understanding of what is known as "flashing" in underwater light measurements. The "flashing" itself is rapid oscillations of high- vs low-intensity light, the intensity of which can surpass that of the incident sunlight several times. The casual observer can observe it as a pattern of bright ripples across the bottom of a swimming-pool or floor of a shall lake.

I did this by using the water film itself as a refractive interface and placed a light-sensitive paper 10 cm below the surface. In practice I went to the nearby river, unfortunately at that time in violent spate, at the darkest time of the night, around 0230 (late summer), bravely waded the river until I had water chest high, then exposed in sequence the sheets of paper in my 8x10" film holder using a SB-24 flash as light source. Had to hold the flash in my mouth because the hands were occupied with the film holder and the photosensitive medium. Then, after exposing my two sheets, back to my home where I temporarily arranged my bath to become a dark-room. Took me a couple of nights to get acceptable quality and overall it was a very cold and wet experience. Which I wouldn't have been without.

The photo paper was b/w, but I found the images were easier to interpret if they were tinted, so added a "water blue" to them.

By the way, the interface pattern is fractal and in the processing, I ended up with a jpg that grew exponentially lest I added some blur to the original scan.

Very innovative an creative and with excellent results! Must have been very rewarding with such a end result.

Nice textures and colors Fons :)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 16:44:52 »
Fons: is that ultraviolet? Very cool effect.

All: did someone do a shooting with an albina in a white dress scating on new ice and fresh snow?
Or a black man with a black tie in a black suit at night in a tunnel?

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 18:21:13 »
Light-painting with a green laser. I think it counts...

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 18:29:54 »
Thread works even better than expected. Seems to encourage some out of the box thinking!

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 18:34:00 »
I don´t know if this is what you have in mind but nightclub and stage images can be often monochromatic.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 18:35:15 »
Bjørn, that image is absolutely brilliant. 

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 18:38:05 »
Bjørn: i love the insect shot, recalls so many pictures from Memory
Paco: the night club scene is adorable!