Author Topic: Hello from Paris  (Read 4419 times)

abergon

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Portfolio
Hello from Paris
« on: February 04, 2016, 00:28:33 »
Hello,

my name is Albert, I live between Paris and Kiev where I work (and where I purchased a Soviet-era camera, a FED5, but that's another story). I joined your community because I am currently changing my gear and I have a question regarding Nikon FF DSLRs and manual focusing: I shoot film, not exclusively, and one of the reasons for doing so, besides the sheer fun of using old gear and processing film, is the experience. One of my film cameras is an Olympus OM2-n, with a TTL light meter, no autofocus, and a split-screen + microprism. Using this camera is pure joy for the slow type of photography I do: composing, selecting the depth of field on the lens, adjusting shutter speed, using the focusing ring of the Zuiko lens until the point where it is just right, pressing the shutter. This is an experience that I describe as nothing short of spiritual when I get lyrical and which I am not able to reproduce with my DSLR, a Canon 6D, because the EOS system really doesn't want you to focus manually. The focusing ring of the EF lenses is uneasy to handle and very few Canon EOS cameras accept natively a split-screen. One of these who do is the Canon 1V, a film camera, which I have but the lens issue is the same, obviously. Having said that, one nice thing about the 1V is that in manual focus mode it will tell you when and where you are in focus. As much as I do not like the lens moving by itself and taking decisions for me, or having to select focus points by clicking buttons and rotating wheels, I find this assistance unobtrusive. 

Anyway my conclusion is that if I want to try to reproduce this film experience with a digital camera I have to change lenses, with the only alternatives I know for lenses designed for manual focusing on Canon EF mount being Zeiss (expensive) or Samyang (bulky). Because I find that the 6D's main selling point is the full-frame but everything around it is just so so, I intend to change the body too. At this point I am perfectly happy switching to another system.

One thing that I find attractive with Nikon, at least on paper, is that it is still possible to use Nikkor manual focus lenses on a modern DSLR. Looking at Nikon's website, several AI-S lenses are still available for sale. I am aware that for a split-screen I will have to use a third-party focusing screen, but that's a compromise I will have to make.

So, for those of you kind enough to have read me so far, my questions are:

- Do you use manual focus Nikkor lenses such as the AI-S on modern day Nikon DSLRs and are they pleasant to use? Do they however exchange information with the body, e.g. do they forward EXIF information on aperture? This one is a minor point for me, but nice to have.
- Which FF would you advise in this context, if it makes any difference? I was thinking of the D750. The Df would be nice, but it seems expensive.

Hope I haven't been too long and boring.
Sincere thanks in advance for your replies,

Albert

-

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Hello from Paris
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 00:59:22 »
Welcome to the NG forum. In fact, we don't mind what camera you are using, only that they are your tools to obtain photographs :D

I fully understand the sentiments about using a "slow" system for your photography. It is also a sad truth that many of today's offerings are not very good for manual focusing because the groundglass screen, being optimised for AF,  is too bright .

The Nikon Df answers your requirements perfectly.  It is the very reason for my renewed pleasure of photography these last years. If you find it too expensive, the D610, and D750, probably a lot more, will do when their focusing screen is replaced with something better. The Df accepts a broader range of manual lenses than any current Nikon DSLR, though.

All better Nikons allow you to make a short-list of manual lenses from which you select the one mounted on the camera. This enables improved metering and making EXIF data more accurate. To use such older lenses to their full potential, the camera must have an aperture follower. All FX Nikons have this, plus the upper DX range (D300, D500, D7200). It is also possible to "chip" almost all manual Nikkors by adding a CPU to them. 'Chipped' Nikkors behave exactly the same as AF/AFS lenses, but without the autofocus operation of course, and are compliant with all Nikons. They report the exact EXIF data as their AF/AFS counterparts.

ArendV

• NG Member
  • The Netherlands
    • flickr
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 09:01:27 »
Welcome Albert to NikonGear !

One other FF option to consider where you can continue to use your Zuikos is a Sony A7.
Downsides are that you will need an adapter (or more if you start using different lens brands) and that the handling of the camera is quite different from your OM2.
Big upside for me - my A7 is now my main MF lens camera - is manual focusing is a breeze. With the right settings of the EVF (increased sharpening) and the focus magnifier I hardly miss focus (don't use focus peaking anymore, too distracting for me in the viewfinder and not very accurate in my experience).
I use old MF Nikkors on my Nikon DSLR - in the past also with a Katzeye split screen - but have mixed experiences focusing in the OVF and usually go back to LiveView on the back LCD for reliable MF. But this experience is only from DX camera's (D300 and D7100).
I bought my Sony A7 secondhand for a very reasonable price and now have adapted the button settings to my liking and also use it with Zuikos.
Arend

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 09:10:25 »
Welcome to NikonGear! I will just add that most of the new autofocus Nikkor fixed focal length and zoom lenses are excellent for manual focusing on the Df, just turn off AF ;)

Anyway yes 'chipping' is the way for older MF Nikkor lenses ;)
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 10:03:38 »
BTW here is a good starter on the subject
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,32.0.html
Erik Lund

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 10:36:18 »
welcome to NG :)
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 11:10:28 »
Welcome, Albert. You are in the right place here. World's leading lens chippers are on board and most of the people here love to use older MF-glass on their Digital cameras.

Arend is right: The A7-series is the way to go for use of the great Zuikos (I was on the OM-system before I came to Nikon. Great lenses, great cameras but discontinued).

With both of my D70 cameras I used third party split screens (1 x katzeye, 1 x enjoyyourcamera) and a lot of old Nikkor glass

BUT: The view finder of DX-cameras is a small hole if you compare it to FullFrame cameras. You do not see a difference if you use EVF though, but as long as you stay optical, you will certainly prefer the bigger and brighter hole of the FF options.

Because she receieved shiploads of bad press the D600 can be had used "as new" very cheaply. Look into her before buying a D750. The main advantage of the D750 is very fast operation and AF in quite dark environments.

If you do not need this, you can get the same IQ from the D600 at half price and Nikon will replace her shutter unit for free no questions asked.

Welcome to this inspiring place!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

abergon

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 12:44:32 »
Thanks all for the warm welcome and for the useful info.

I was not aware of the specific capacity of the Df to work with older lenses, that is certainly something I will take into consideration, together with the D4 sensor.

Re the A7/mirrorless options, I looked through an EVF once and well... I am not sure this is for me. Sure, people say you get used to it but I am really fond of the OVF + split screen combo.

As for the D600, the bad press of the time is what made me decide for a Canon 6D instead. Knowing what I know now, that may not have been the smartest move, but it took me some time to find out. The 6D is not bad as a camera per se though, it's just that I never felt very happy with it.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 15:28:30 »
Welcome Albert.

It's a long list of Nikkor-lenses which can be used with the Nikon Df.  Roland Vink has listed them by versions and serial-numbers : http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#top

abergon

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 23:30:27 »
Some times in life things move quickly. Walking this afternoon along the boulevard Beaumarchais in Paris, where every other shop sells either motorbikes or camera gear, there was a new Nikon Df equipped with its kit 50mm AF-S lens tempting me for a very good price. Reputable and authorized Nikon dealer, full Nikon warranty, and that's it! In another store down the same boulevard, I found a very cute-looking PC-Nikkor 35mm f/2.8.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get used to the camera. I am very happy with my purchase.

Thanks again to all and to Bjørn in particular for the good advice.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 08:21:09 »
Fantastic! Congratulations that was a quick decision ;)
Erik Lund

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 09:01:14 »
Congratulations on purchasing the Df.  Its sensor is excellent and its ability to mount and utilise a wide spectrum of Nikon lenses from the ultra antique to the very latest really appeals to me and many, many others  That said, it is quite different to most other Nikon DSLRs, so don't mark it down for the manner in which it gets the job done.  Rather you should enjoy it for its unique properties.  That is the camera's great appeal for those that have adopted the Df.

Welcome to the site.

Some times in life things move quickly. Walking this afternoon along the boulevard Beaumarchais in Paris, where every other shop sells either motorbikes or camera gear, there was a new Nikon Df equipped with its kit 50mm AF-S lens tempting me for a very good price. Reputable and authorized Nikon dealer, full Nikon warranty, and that's it! In another store down the same boulevard, I found a very cute-looking PC-Nikkor 35mm f/2.8.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get used to the camera. I am very happy with my purchase.

Thanks again to all and to Bjørn in particular for the good advice.
Hugh Gunn

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 09:43:45 »
Hello! i want to visit france one of these days! when i visit my good friend in hamburg, i might go to france since i am in europe anyways!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 10:03:12 »

WOW. Congratulations!

I'd really like to hear what the "tempting price" was...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

abergon

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 13:04:39 »
Hello! i want to visit france one of these days! when i visit my good friend in hamburg, i might go to france since i am in europe anyways!

Hi Richard,

I'll be glad to welcome you in France if I am around at the time of your visit.