Author Topic: 16-35 vs. 18-35  (Read 23663 times)

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: 16-35 vs. 18-35
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2016, 22:00:26 »
@simsurace
@Bjørn
Thank your for your feed-back.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2016, 22:20:18 »
I have a 16-35 that seems sharp into the corners and generally very sharp  .....I don't mind carrying a few extra grams to have constant f4, and 16mm.

But I am not a landscape photographer, so my priorities may vary from your use.

Cheers
Bez

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 03:08:10 »
Another question, Simone: Would the humble AF-D 18-35 also be a candidate? It is even smaller and cheaper, yet many praise its IQ.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

BillO

• NG Supporter
  • Cruising the US in a Motorhome
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2016, 03:42:40 »
Another question, Simone: Would the humble AF-D 18-35 also be a candidate? It is even smaller and cheaper, yet many praise its IQ.

Because of sample variations (seems especially so in the "consumer" lenses) it is a bit hard to generalize from my one experience, but I will relate it anyway.

I had the AF-D version which seemed OK on the D80 that I used it with initially.  When I moved up to the D600 "full-frame" sensor it looked rather soft overall so I traded it off.

Later I bought the AFS version which seems substantially sharper, with more contrast than the earlier version on the D6XX. 

I believe that at one point Dave Paterson made a similar observation, but that was at least a couple of years ago.
Regards,
Bill Oliver

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2016, 05:08:24 »
This discussion re-started at a great moment.  Thanks Simone and all who've contributed, this is very informative.  Like Simone I am looking for a workhorse wide zoom.  Over the past weekend I rented a 17-35 mm f/2.8, to see how it worked on a D810.  In my case I'll be using it a lot to record geological sampling sites, which is closest to landscape photography. My previous camera was the D7000 (crop sensor), which paired extremely well with a Tokina 11-16 mm f/2.8 for this purpose.  The 17-35 looks like a good one for me: The focal range is right. I like the 2.8 max aperture, and the manual aperture ring compared to the 16-35 f/4.  The build is rugged compared to both the 16-35 f/4 and 18-35 variable aperture zoom, which is important for the use it will get. I actually like the heft of a big lens, and would happily carry a 17-35 in the field.  It's a lot lighter than rocks. 

However, the copy I rented performed poorly.  Below is a test scene at 17 mm and f/2.8, and some 100% crops.  The backlight is strong and the sky is at least a stop overexposed in places, which helps show up focus errors and chromatic aberration, which makes this a tough test.  The others come from the left side, top, and top-right of the frame.  I see lots of chromatic aberration, and distant objects around the edge of the frame are poorly focused. I couldn't get an acceptable image of this scene at aperture wider than f/8.  The lens performed slightly better at 28 mm (OK by f/5.6), and better again at 35 mm.  Note - Image processed in Adobe Camera Raw with calibration set to camera-neutral. All other settings left at their defaults (no chromatic aberration corrections, sharpening USM 25% / radius 1.0). 

I have difficulty believing that a correctly working copy of this lens would perform so poorly.  I wonder if it had been beaten up a bit in its (long) rental history.  However, I'd appreciate feedback from those who've used the 17-35.  Is this is standard on a high-DPI camera, or was I using a poor or damaged copy?  Also, can anyone comment on the optical performance of the 17-35 stopped down to f/4, compared to the 16-35 and 18-35 at their wide-open settings?

Thanks, all advice appreciated.

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2016, 08:59:40 »
t

What would be the advantage? Sorry, you already named two.
I've heard that it doesn't really cut the mustard on hi-res bodies since it's an old design. But I guess this might be overstated.
At this point I already own the modern 18-35 now so the easiest thing is just to sell off the 16-35. Getting a third lens into the mix is too much hassle. But thanks anyway for the suggestion.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2016, 09:13:27 »
Beryllium, the test shots are wide open?

I don't have any personal experience with the 17-35, but I would have expected less than stellar performance wide open in the corners of a wide zoom from that era. In the case of the 16-35 I was disappointed because from a much more modern design (more modern even than the 14-24 which is very renowned) I was expecting very good performance even in the corners. Wide-angles are the lenses that have most benefitted from recent developments in optical engineering, we are now seeing very good wide-angles even from third-party manufacturers thanks to cheaper aspheric lenses, advances in computing etc.

A quick comparison at the-digital-picture confirms your findings: the 17-35 at f/4 is much more blurry in the corners than the new 18-35. I cannot say whether your copy is even worse than that.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2016, 10:25:26 »
Beryllium: I feel the detail rendering of the 17-35/2.8 Nikkor seems pretty good in your examples. IIRC it was introduced with the F5. Someone would have to show me a film that can resolve this amount of details.
If you are not depending on JPEG ooc you can easily get rid of lens distortion and abberation in post processing.
I did not buy this lens because I could not bear lens distortion in the view finder. I felt sea sick. I later tried and bought the 1.4/24G which has next to no distortion in the finder.

Simone: The 14-24/2.8 is a lens originally listed North of 2k€. That is a price range where Nikon throws in all they got: glass, mechanics, quality control. I used this lens a lot as a loaner from a friend. Gosh. A great performer!
The 16-35/4 is ~1k€ listing price and you get a lot of "features", which does not mean all these features feature state of the art incarnation...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2016, 11:43:59 »
The 14-24mm AFS 2.8 suffers from unpredictable ghost and or flare especially for instance when the sun is anywhere near the frame - the front elment 'peeps' out and is more or less unprotected by the build in lens hood as it approaches the 14mm mark - Can of course look nice but it can also ruin an images if no such thing is acceptable for the intended image.
Otherwice its a winner on all accounts - more or less ;)
Erik Lund

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2016, 12:09:28 »
I confess. My work was mostly indoors. Tripod. HDR.

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2016, 16:53:41 »
Simone Frank and Erik - Thanks for your replies.  Simone - yes, my picture was with the 17-35 wide open.  At this focal length it improved as expected on stopping down, but didn't get sharp into the corners until f/8.  I think your test scenes from earlier in this thread show the 16-35 and 18-35 performing better in the corners at f/4.  Frank - I would normally remove the CA and distortion in the raw conversion, so not too worried about those aspects.  However, for my day-to-day use of a wide zoom sharpness across the frame is important and it sounds as though I shouldn't expect the 17-35 (even at f/4) to match the more recent lenses.  Shame that with new optical design comes less robust build ...  I'll try renting the 16-35 and 18-35 and see how I like them (I already know I will not like the plastic and the lack of aperture ring).  I have rented the 14-24 in the past and really liked it, but inability to protect it with a filter is a major drawback for me.  Whichever I end up with will get months of outdoor use at a stretch, in places with plenty of snow, rain or dust in the air.

Cheers - John

Chip Chipowski

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2016, 17:15:26 »
I don't know whether that 17-35 test shot is good or bad, but it looks like a really challenging scene.  It looks like your focus point is in the foreground or mid distance, so I would think some of the far away corner elements are way OOF.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2016, 17:41:20 »
I don't know whether that 17-35 test shot is good or bad, but it looks like a really challenging scene.  It looks like your focus point is in the foreground or mid distance, so I would think some of the far away corner elements are way OOF.

Does this call for an old school brick wall test??? HAHAHA

Another ides: What about third party glass? I heared the new Tamron line sounds promising and IIRC Tokina had interesting offerings too.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2016, 01:19:01 »
I'm still pleased with my one copy of the 17-35, 9.5 years later. Bjorn R observed sample variation issues way back when the lens was introduced in 1999/2000.  Mine has proved useful from D200 and D2xs to D3 and surprisingly, D800.  I 'm not motivated to get rid of it even though I've got the 14-24 plus a bunch of good primes.
Question:  When you folks refer to "the corners", exactly how far away from the actual corner are we talking about?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2016, 01:24:54 »
Question:  When you folks refer to "the corners", exactly how far away from the actual corner are we talking about?
In my samples, it's the farthest 1/6th or 1024x684 px of the total image (6016x4016 px).
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com