Author Topic: $4.00 lens  (Read 4357 times)

Grahame Hamblin

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
$4.00 lens
« on: January 30, 2016, 10:18:54 »
Purchased microfiche lens sometime ago thought i should try it  Nikon 810 hand held 320th sec.has it potential http://

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
Re: $4.00 lens
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 10:55:20 »
Bokeh looks nice, but the pics is pretty over cooked.  Hard to really give it any judgement.
-Tristin

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 19:13:52 »
Do tell more about the lens.  Perhaps show us a photo of it?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 19:27:47 »

Grahame Hamblin

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 01:26:40 »
You are quite right over processed. Minolta zoom 7.5 to 12. I will use it more with a little more care and write down data etc. but was surprised at apartment sharpness.
Grahame

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 21:31:17 »
Bokeh looks nice, but the pics is pretty over cooked.  Hard to really give it any judgement.
I'm not quite sure what you were getting at. Too much, post-processing? Perhaps I should have my eyes -- or head -- examined.

Incidentally, I came to the post after searching "microfiche lens" on this site. I'm actually rather surprised there aren't more posts. This is certainly one area the boy-scientist in me wants to explore. Especially, micro/macro UV/IR.

Grahame Hamblin

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 09:20:57 »
must get that lens out again microfich lens are great. go to surpleshed and brouse also type in projection lens any lens out of scanners security camerras etc enjoy.i drilled a hole in  body cap and stuck lens in
Grahame

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 09:27:11 »
I'm not quite sure what you were getting at. Too much, post-processing? Perhaps I should have my eyes -- or head -- examined.

Too much compression and sharpening to be able to judge the lens' rendering. 

The file size limits for images here are quite generous . . . ;)
-Tristin

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 17:28:58 »
One of my favorite macro rigs comes from a "Compugraphic" typesetting machine, which had a turret on which various small macro lenses were mounted.  Most of them fit into a microscope adapter, and a few that did not were easily machined so that they do, and the result is a few that work very well, with varying magnification.  Apertures are a little dim, but they're pretty sharp.

I'm too lazy to go back and find the NEF originals now, but here are a couple of small JPG's made with the D3200 and a couple of those lenses, which ones now forgotten:

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 09:14:32 »
Too much compression and sharpening to be able to judge the lens' rendering. 

The file size limits for images here are quite generous . . . ;)
Oh... yes, of course. Thank you!

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 09:32:42 »
must get that lens out again microfich lens are great. go to surpleshed and brouse also type in projection lens any lens out of scanners security camerras etc enjoy.i drilled a hole in  body cap and stuck lens in
Grahame
Actually, I've had www.surplusshed.com bookmarked for about as long as they've had a website! I'm one of those anal retentive sorts whose bookmarks are organized like the Library of Congress and exported with each new OS iteration or computer. In my experience, Surplus Shed is one of the least expensive alternatives to that other source of surplus optics and scientific ephemera useful for restoration projects and home-brewed gadgetry. Really brings the steam punk out in me! American Science & Surplus -- www.sciplus.com -- is another source that occasionally yields a worthwhile item useful to the weekend mad scientist.

Krishna Kodukula

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 14:50:27 »
Thanks for sharing those links.

Grahame Hamblin

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 03:29:20 »
Had  play with this cost $5 no brand no markings that i can see hand held in the wind will play some more

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 18:52:45 »
Thanks for sharing those links.
You're very welcome!