Author Topic: How do you find browsing the site on a tablet?  (Read 12332 times)

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
How do you find browsing the site on a tablet?
« on: January 29, 2016, 15:01:51 »
This probably isn't a new thing but lately I've found that it's really easy to miss the wrong control when browsing the site on my iPad 2.

So on a popular thread, I often want to go straight to the last page, which involves touching a tiny digit (as opposed to the title of the thread, which is generally ok).

Then, around 5 time out of 10, I find I've clicked the poster's name, or sometimes even the thread underneath. Obviously this isn't an issue with a computer because of the greater control offered by the mouse plus high res screen. I rarely use a phone, but when I do it's obviously worse.

So I wanted to know
  • Has anyone else also found this?
  • Are there any options available?
    (The previous NG site offered a mobile interface???)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: How do you find browsing the site on a tablet or phone?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 15:13:52 »
I use iPad Air 2 along with my usual desktop PC.  Whenever I realize the digit is too tiny, I will pinch out the display to enlarge, which solves the problem.

Personally I don't like the mobile neterface which is too limited and crumsy to use.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 15:47:14 »
I wouldn't normally even try with my iPhone but I have with the iPad, I almost always access websites from 'Latest Unread Posts' and on this forum the 'button' is well separated from the rest of the active items so my thick fingers manage OK.

Have you tried a stylus?  They are cheap enough, I use one on the iPad and iPhone if I have any intensive stuff to do, much better selection then a finger.

In line with simplicity I doubt we will see a mobile version of NikonGear any time soon, KISS rules!
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 18:18:50 »
On my Galaxy phone, I have no real problems.  Quite used to it.
-Tristin

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 18:19:53 »
About 8% of the traffic to the NG site is via smartphones or tablets.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 18:29:03 »
When I browse from my Android phone I do as Akira, make the text bigger if needed

I prefer doing that vs pages that get dumbed down with mobile specific interfaces
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 19:52:48 »
Thanks guys.
I agree, the mobile versions of some sites (e.g. Facebook) are often frustrating because of what they leave out.

I'll be honest and say I can't be bothered to use a stylus, mainly because no other site I use needs one.
I'm surprised only 8% of NG traffic is from smaller devices. Guess that reflects the fact that many of you are using your desktops for PP so it's natural to check into NG whilst you're there and a lot of the poor design for tablets doesn't affect you.

For me, I use my desktop less and less and the tablet is my prime tool (I avoid phones for websites unless I'm forced to). So I guess I'll just have to take Akira's advice and "zoom in".

Meanwhile I think that although for the majority of functions, the forum software works quite well, it misses out in a few areas.
  • The close spacing of some items that I mentioned in my opening message is one.
  • The fact that it offers us a "Go Up/down" option at the top & bottom of each page, but doesn't offer a button to move the "next" or "previous" page is baffling (which do you find yourself needing more?).
    Yes, there's a next & previous option, but it takes you to the next topic!!

Shame.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 20:05:32 »
NG is based on free forum software. It might not be ideal, but certainly incurs low costs :D.

Initially we looked into themes specifically made for small devices, but never were entirely pleased with what was offered. Commercial versions exist, but since we wanted to allow the site to evolve slowly by natural selection in conjunction with a low-budget profile, we refrained from sinking a lot of money into such schemes.

Of course, if the traffic volume from mobile devices grows substantial enough, we will have to find a better solution than we have today.

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 20:13:42 »
Thanks Bjorn, and I completely agree with your approach for now.
Just wanted to see how others felt.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 20:16:22 »
Works well on an iPhone 6 zooming here and there,,, ;)

I'll try to find a stylus for it ;)
Erik Lund

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 20:23:41 »
No problem of a Windows phone Lumia 930. I even posted a few smartphone images from it. No need for another template for me even if I occasionally touch the wrong button.
Bruno Schröder

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 20:31:49 »
Of course, if the traffic volume from mobile devices grows substantial enough, we will have to find a better solution than we have today.

To be ready for all sorts of devices, a responsive design is required. For example phpBB, but there are more. Like you say, something to worry about later.
Hans Cremers

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 20:49:14 »
I'm fine with it as is.  I often have my phone request the desktop version of sites because of how much mobile versions cut out.  Often cuts out the things I want access to in the first place.
-Tristin

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 21:26:36 »
It is still a PITA to browse this site on a phone.

I have a very nice phone. "Samsung Galaxy Note II"

5.5 inch HD Screen. All crituque points are still valid as before.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 23:10:32 »
Works well on an iPhone 6 zooming here and there,,, ;)
I'll try to find a stylus for it ;)
Very true. Not very ergonomic. Still sufficient for quick reading when travelling.
-/-/-