Author Topic: The Drumstick  (Read 1389 times)

afx

• NG Member
  • Grumpy Bavarian from Munich
    • AFXImages
The Drumstick
« on: January 27, 2016, 21:47:16 »
Last Friday I was shooting the CD release party of Street Level by Nick Woodland.

It was not the first time I shot a concert of his band. But this was the most crowded ever.
Sold out. No place to move. So I only took a few images. But one of them stood out:

Sometimes luck shines ;-)

The whole set can be found here.

cheers
afx

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
Re: The Drumstick
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 23:26:26 »
....and did he catch it?

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 01:53:12 »
Nice capture!  Definitely some lucky timing, but the composition and exposure are top notch.

Though I am annoyed by flashy drummers, they certainly have better things to practice.  That's just the band leader in me.   :-X

-Tristin

afx

• NG Member
  • Grumpy Bavarian from Munich
    • AFXImages
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 07:48:33 »
....and did he catch it?
Yes he did.. ;-)

Nice capture!  Definitely some lucky timing, but the composition and exposure are top notch
Thanks!

Though I am annoyed by flashy drummers, they certainly have better things to practice.  That's just the band leader in me.   :-X
LOL.. Usually drummers are so hidden and badly lit that I rarely get a god shot of them...
And with Nick's voice and typical stage appearance, even a flashy drummer can't outdo him.

One of the best parts of this concerts was the drummer starting a solo which was then then over by the base player and ended in them going back and forth...

This guy also plays in another band where he really took center stage:

Shot last August.
He is really very good, and a relieve after having heard too many bands where the drummer beats everything to death instead of providing a strong foundation.

cheers
afx

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 16:00:43 »
Very nice shots; I like the whole series. It's always fun to see low shutter speed concert shots.
Anirban Halder

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 17:52:57 »
Speaking of shutter speeds, what do you stick to for live music afx?  I find 1/125 to be perfect.  Fast enough to freeze faces while allowing some motion blur on quick moving limbs.
-Tristin