Author Topic: The Voigtländer 180mm f/4 APO-Lanthar  (Read 2621 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
The Voigtländer 180mm f/4 APO-Lanthar
« on: January 27, 2016, 19:13:39 »
In these last days I have been looking at the various Voigtländer lenses. One of the Voigtländers that fewer lenses that folks seem to collect is the Voigtländer 180mm f/4 APO-Lanthar. This is a very sharp and well corrected lens, although the minimum focus distance is a little long for the work I do. It is not a close up lens, but it does take extension pretty well.

Here is a photo taken with the Nikon D810 and the Voigtländer 180mm, with a little extension (K-1 ring), stacked with Zerene Stacker. What I like about this longer lens is that the subject is more in the same focus distance in the photo so that there are less artifacts to deal with in post processing.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Dane

• NG Member
Re: The Voigtländer 180mm f/4 APO-Lanthar
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 11:55:51 »
That's one of my most favorite lenses of all times. I really love the way this lens draws when taken pictures in the close focus range.
It's really 3Dimensional. The lack of chromatic aberrations, its small size and perfect optical quality make it a total package for me.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 00:32:46 »
Wonderful lens, had it, but sold it due to not enough use...
formerly known as kds315

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 05:25:55 »
In my own experience with this lens, it is not tolerate well any, even smallest, extensions. Much better results I got with using APO-chromatic screw-ups. Would you, Michael, give it a try?  LZ

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 08:14:09 »
In my own experience with this lens, it is not tolerate well any, even smallest, extensions. Much better results I got with using APO-chromatic screw-ups. Would you, Michael, give it a try?  LZ

I don't like extensions and the CV-180 doesn't like them either. Of course, some folks will use and love them. The K1 ring (5.8mm) will work on some lenses and about all I ever try to use on any lens. Again, horses for courses.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 23:31:55 »
Just got mine by Fedex from Japan. Near mint, optics are absolutely clean and focus action is ideal - fluid, neither too loose nor too stiff. The lens is as good as aberration-free, reminding me of the Zeiss 135/2. I'll take it out as soon as the rain stops and when I get the step-up ring to put a lens hood on (HS-4, HN-7, or similar).
Here two shots of young Jesus and parents, a terracotta by Rosa Ramalho (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Ramalho ; I met her when I was a youngster...).

First one is cropped, f/4, handheld, ISO 3600. Second one at f/22, ISO 100, uncropped and on a tripod. I have no reason to complain. Diffraction ? not really noticeable. LoCA ? none. Color ? nice (as much as bulbs can make it possible).

I only saw one strange phenomenon on stopping down between f/4 and f/22, namely slight color shifts (towards green) on certain stops. That's probably related to varying stray light reflections, only noticeable in LiveView, and anyway minimal.

Thanks to several NG members for advice, and especially for "tipping the scale" towards buying. Despite the price tag (aggravated by import tax), it is worth every penny. The relatively light weight and incredibly small size make it an ideal travel companion for my old Df and my old back. It does not compromise at all on optical quality (unlike the otherwise remarkable Elmar-R; comparisons to follow in another thread).

Now the question is, when shall we travel again...
Airy Magnien

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 07:22:08 »
Congratulations Airy !   

Indeed the 49mm is an odd filter-size. The setup ring 49-52mm is attached on my lens for a sun hood.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 07:31:13 »