Author Topic: [Theme] Death & Decay (warning, contains graphic images!!!)  (Read 29690 times)

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
Re: Death & Decay (warning, contains graphic images!!!)
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2016, 20:44:26 »
Doing anatomical studies abroad. I couldn't resist the bisarre scene when opening the box. It certainly depict death and decay.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 22:13:23 »
Sure does. For once I'm happy we don't register smell in our photos :(

No question this is graphic enough. But the thread title contains the required warning ....

I wonder about the circumstances behind this scene, though.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 22:49:47 »
I was doing anatomical studies at a university in asia. I went in to a store room and found that they had no shortage of materials. They had several tubs with corpses and bodyparts floating in formaldehyde. I took this one picture to document their attitude towards handling deseased persons and human remains. I had a hard time deciding whether I should delete the picture or not.

A couple of years ago I was out hiking with my kids and wife. We had decided to have our evening meal at a scenic spot near our house where we could watch the sun set. When we arrived I noticed a women hanging from a tree. I turned the kids around and told my wife to call the police. The woman was already dead, but I had talked to her a few hours earlier, when she came by our house asking for directions to the location. As I waited for the police to arrive I took my camera trying to frame her against the setting sun. It was a very powerful picture, documenting the meaningless act of suicide we all to often experience here in norway. But I was not able to press the shutter on that occation.

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 22:54:29 »
BW, wow.  I find their handling of the deceased quite disrepectful.  That is too bad.  As for the woman who killed herself, that is a tragic story.  My heart goes out to those that loved her.
-Tristin

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 23:00:49 »
In my student days, I had numerous extra jobs to earn money for subsistence (and keeping wives happy ...).  Much of this was as a paramedic. That lead me to learn first hand all the dark sides of a modern society with deaths, suicides, victims of fatal accidents, and what have you. I have observed much worse than what BW shows us here, and sometimes wondered if the pictures really could be used. I decided against it in most cases. Death in any form is unpleasant for those watching the outcome. We don't need the visual reminder of scenes that burn themselves to the retina. For those lucky enough to never have encountered this dark side of life, BW's image can be an eye-opener.

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2016, 23:20:23 »
When it comes to human death, I agree that most of the time images would not be productive.  Though there are instances where human death can serve as powerful reminders of how we ought to treat each other.  War photography is mainly what comes to mind, though others like the portraits from Tuol Sleng are immense reminders of how vigilant people must remain against hatred and cold heartedness, and to be more compassionate.  The photographic evidence of the Nazi genocide programs will serve as a powerful opponent of facism, totalitarianism and authoritarianism for many generations.  Kevin Carter's image of the starving Sudanese child and the vulture is tragically powerful, and I have no doubt it has spurred increased compassion towards people suffering famine.  His suicide was a big loss for the world.
-Tristin

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2016, 23:32:53 »
I'm sure you have Bjørn. There are certainly som forensic pictures that would make one loose sleep. It is hard to photograph a deceased without being left with ethical ambiguity. One the other hand one should not be disconnected to a integral part of natural cycle of life. In the early days of photography it was quite common to incorporate the deceased in a family portrait. Today, that would make picture go "viral" (hate that term, really hate it).
Tristan, you make some very good points here!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2016, 13:27:28 »
I find that this is a very important thread here on NikonGear, I think its important to show images like these and being able to discuss them.

Thanks for posting!
Erik Lund

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2016, 09:34:48 »

Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 Ai-s @ f/1.2
-Tristin

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2016, 10:36:59 »
Edibles...

...and one slaughterer.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2016, 10:49:25 »
Thank you Borge for sharing the picture of the suicide with us.

I worked for the radio for many years. Pictures are transferable without cameras. Head cinema.

Very probably I would have taken a shot with the abstraction of exposing her to a black sihouette from every angle.

Why? Because for me photography is another mode of operation. A mode of self protection sometimes. Like writing.
I detach myself from the scene by banning the words or pictures to an "outside" medium.

very strong thread. Thank you, Tristin and all contributers.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
Re: [Theme] Death & Decay (warning, contains graphic images!!!)
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2016, 20:52:12 »
Lunch leftovers, possibly from the meal of a buzzard, which are regular visitors in the area.

'to the spine'
'skinned'
-/-/-

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2016, 04:35:28 »
One from the Galapagos a couple of years ago.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2016, 10:21:03 »
Matthew, the boot prints in the sand (presence of man) say it all for me  >:( .  Interesting image.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2016, 10:32:20 »
having an interest in the raw reality of life - I find the thread very interesting. Thank you ALL for posting.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za