Author Topic: The Breakers Cafe  (Read 3216 times)

Sash

• NG Member
  • From behind the Irony Curtain
The Breakers Cafe
« on: June 19, 2015, 15:56:52 »
The Breakers Cafe mural was a project undertaken in 2012 by the Academy of Arts University students. The scene is taken from a 1910 postcard featuring the interior of the 19th century club with the same name. As I learned it later browsing the web, the mural represents an atmosphere of this once affluent Parisian place of San Francisco. I do not know SF at all, only been there for a day twice, but if that is the case, then a lot had changed on this street since. So my take on this mural is a bit different.

Alexander

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
Re: The Breakers Cafe
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 16:26:12 »
Interesting image Alexander. There is so much going on that the live subjects seem to blend into the mural ... or seem to be walking out of the mural. ... I've been staring at this image for some time now. It is a very engaging image.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Sash

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 16:33:41 »
Thanks Gary. I like that chair, it looks like someone can walk into the wall and take a seat. Sort of "Excuse me, can I just.. squeeze.."
Alexander

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 22:25:55 »
Engaging indeed. Well described. I also had to take a step back to decipher the scene. Very nicely done. The scene and your shot
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 23:39:12 »
I do not like the smell of the bags or, put into other words: Your foto makes me feel so much I was there that I CAN smell the bags.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Sash

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 14:25:50 »
I do not like the smell of the bags or, put into other words: Your foto makes me feel so much I was there that I CAN smell the bags.

Thanks Frank, I take as a compliment  8)
Alexander

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 17:41:54 »
Definitely a compliment
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 14:43:02 »
This site is certainly off to a great start, the images posted here are such high quality. As others have written, current reality somehow seems to blend in with the mural.
Jørgen Ramskov

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 15:21:41 »
The colors of the garbage truck and people  match the mural , and the mural is really well done , so ...

Illustrators would get jealous watching your image
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 18:13:00 »
I keep coming back to view this image. I love how on the left you have the warm and inviting ambiance of the musicians entertaining us and as you move to the right you step out into the cold of the street and ultimately into the garbage of today. Love it.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.