Author Topic: <knocking on the virtual door> Hello from Vienna  (Read 5169 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: <knocking on the virtual door> Hello from Vienna
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 00:52:57 »
A pic with the D1, shot 15 years ago, just resized
Resized? Wasn't that the native resolution of the D1 ;)

Welcome to NG btw.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 01:02:47 »
D1 did 2000 x 1312 (pixel numbers actually dependent on the actual RAW conversion program). Perhaps not very impressive by today's standard, but the files could easily be scaled up by a substantial amount and over the years I have had a number of whole page front covers or double page spreads printed from D1 files.

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 01:34:13 »
Resized? Wasn't that the native resolution of the D1 ;)
Welcome to NG btw.

Thanks for the welcome Jan Anne.

Let me get back into my server cabinet and look for the remaining pixels to show you the photo in "full glory" - they will be for sure somewhere, just need to find them. :)

rgds,
Andy

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 10:44:15 »
Quick side note; Back then I used 'DNG recover edges' to recover the last of the pixels from the RAW file, these pixels are used by the raw converter to guess the edge data.
Erik Lund

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 13:12:57 »
Hi Andy/Andreas
I remember all the posts that you put up on the old board - awesome contributions  and your close ups of the cheek vellus hair on a girl in a passing street shot convinced me to get the D800E.
Thanks also for sharing the amazing glass that most of us will never see nor experience - your 300mm f2 snow shots are almost the only action shots on the net.

Welcome!

JJ

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 16:15:22 »
Hi JJ, great to see you here and thanks for the kind words.
Glad to hear, that one of my images contributed a little bit to your selection of the D800E. Hope you still like it (I do).

In the first 12 years of the digital journey which started for me with the D1 in 1999, I've used the learning opportunity to look with curiosity in many different - unknown to me - corners of photography. While I still feel that I only scratched the surface, the last 4 years had some other areas of personal interest impacting my interaction with photography. Old material is still somewhere located on the web, but I hadn't had time to continue this level of intensity some of these "projects" had. But they were fun :). Like:
1) The 40 page "First impressions with the D7000" immediately after availability. With some fun metrics (ISO/NR settings and the filesize increase it caused, the NR setting comparison table, GB written to flash card / Wh, ...)
2) The 4-part D5100 experience writeup
3) The Nikon 1 in the Masai Mara - literally picking up the camera on the way to the airport and learning while on safari.

As you mentioned the AiS 300mm. Yep, was also a fun experience to use it while doing downhill skiing :) The photos are still on the webserver, happy to share it here as well.

Nevertheless, the recent camera announcements got my curiosity back - looking forward to learn here a lot.     

Again, great to see you here, thanks for the welcome and looking fwd to good conversations and mutual insights,
Andy

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 18:43:37 »
Hola Andy, from California.

Gary
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.