Author Topic: Time Limit on Modification  (Read 4743 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Time Limit on Modification
« on: January 05, 2016, 14:42:16 »
If there is still a limitation on modification, please consider removing it. It is no help. I often find mistakes and things I should modify, after you have removed the possibility. We are all adults here and most seem to get along. Is that limitation still on and, if so, why?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Time Limit on Modification
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 14:53:10 »
48 hours should suffice to detect errors? There is often a problem in continuity of thread development if something posted earlier is altered, almost like a time traveller's dilemma.

I agree that members on NG should be adults, and expected to behave likewise. However we have had minor incidents to prove there is no rule without exceptions.

Still, I am willing to remove the edit time limit for a test period of say 3 or 4 weeks.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 15:01:02 »
For me it is only spelling errors I would like to remove.

Generally I do not read many of my old messeges after 48 hours...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 15:05:49 »
Removing it would be great. Or perhaps it could be individual. I correct spelling errors, but also like to add little things as well, since these are here for a long time.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 15:06:31 »
I have temporarily lifted the edit time restriction. The experiences gained in a test period for 4 weeks will determine if we keep the edit window always open or close it as before. If any irregularity in form of complete deletion of posted content or similar signs of thread thrashing occurs before the end of this period, we return to the earlier procedure.

Be aware that posts edited after a grace period (now set to 1 hour) will be marked as 'edited'.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 15:13:25 »
We can try that. What I am pointing at here is the placement of articles or longer pieces. I could place them, and I have in the past, on this site, that site, and the other site, so to make sure I can modify. Right now, mostly, I am only placing things on this site, so I would like the flexibility to keep my long posts current. By not being able to modify things, I begin to lose interest in posting. That should be a reasonable response on my part.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 15:16:27 »
Its a two edged sword, many members mentioned they were pleased with the limitation as there were too many lost or changed topics on the old forum.

Things might go well for a few months but it only takes one heated argument to have members delete their content.....
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 15:27:00 »
As per JA. We all carry a kindergarten memory and practice with us. The NG Team has no ambition of policing the forums and be permanently on the beat. Even in a polished community like the one seen on NG, contention and flared arguments can emerge.

However, we do have the opportunity to move members into a special group if need arises where they can edit in a freer setting. Just ask the NG Admins and we'll consider the problem if it arises.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 16:13:09 »
I have temporarily lifted the edit time restriction. The experiences gained in a test period for 4 weeks will determine if we keep the edit window always open or close it as before. If any irregularity in form of complete deletion of posted content or similar signs of thread thrashing occurs before the end of this period, we return to the earlier procedure.

Can you not put restrictions on individuals?

If one person "killer edits" once then he will not be able to edit in the future.

I did never "killer edit" on any forum I visited, although sometimes moderators "killer edited" my threads in the past which I feel not responsible for (shooting "JPEG only" escalated into a religious war, before I understood that shooting JPEG is a religion at all *g*)...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 16:23:05 »
With additional finer 'granularity' of the member population, you can - in principle - exert individual control. However, the downside is the administration and management of such a regime and this is not the direction in which the NG Team wishes to move.

We do have the opportunity to move people into a less restricted grouping if absolutely necessary, thus in practice having an edit window shouldn't pose too much of a problem. Just communicate with the Team and explain your situation.

I'm busy with the upcoming Nikon event later tonight so no time for making the changes to member groups at present.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 19:30:31 »
If the forum software allows it, could we have a system where the 'Modify' function works as it has, for 48 hours, and after that nothing can be deleted...only added... from that point forward? 
This would allow new info and corrections to be added by the member, but would eliminate wholesale deletions.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 19:45:28 »
The admin team only gets a handful of requests a week to change or delete (double) posts, for now this is no problem with the 5 of us :)

We just spent almost all our financial resources on a dedicated virtual server for the coming 12 months. When the admin work grows with our slowly growing community and when our reserves have been replenished a bit we might have a look at new forum software more suited for a photography forum and with better "self service" features.
Cheers,
Jan Anne