Author Topic: Nikongear Scotland Meetup - May 2016 *** PAYMENT DETAILS NOW AVAILABLE ***  (Read 20401 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
We all agree to return to the topic at hand.

Time flies and at present, with heaps of snow outside, freezing cold winds and -15C outside I can hardly wait until the Scottish event :D

Danulon

• NG Supporter
Update: money transfer underway.
Guenther Something

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
paid
Thomas Stellwag

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
Thanks, Gunther and Thomas.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Dave, is there some sort of reference number that I can quote in my bank payment?
Simone Tomasi

David Paterson

• NG Member
Simone - no, there is no actual reference number; most people refer simply to the Loch Tay Highland Lodges.

I'm not sure if that helps, but you'll be ok.
Best,
Dave

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Paid.
Now I should be in the "good" book again  ;)
Simone Tomasi

simsurace

• NG Member
I also paid my share of £85.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

David Paterson

• NG Member
Thank you, Simone and Simone.   ;D

simsurace

• NG Member
Thank you, Simone and Simone.   ;D

Haha, it's quite rare in a group of 20 that there's someone with the same name who is not a woman.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
Paid £85.00 direct by telephone 06/02/2016

Cheers
Bez
Bez

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Haha, it's quite rare in a group of 20 that there's someone with the same name who is not a woman.

As long as each knows the difference, I foresee no problem :D

A little like the quite safe method of winning bets, if you bet on two people having the same birthday out of a population this size. Increase to about 30 persons, and your winning chance is far more than 50%.

David Paterson

• NG Member

I don't know about that - there are millions of Davids in the UK. Several of my friends are called David; there even is, or was, another photographer in Edinburgh called David Paterson, who started up in business there just after I went south (in 1983!) to see if I could make it in London.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
The probability of birtdays is not evenly distributed over the year. In the Northern hemisphere it is more likely to have people born between June  July and October than during the rest of the year. That seems to be the case because people seem to be more cuddly in the dark and cold days of the year.

I expect the curve to be the other way around in the southern hemisphere.

A moment plese, looking for reference material.

Ref#1: http://www.panix.com/~murphy/bday.html (deviation smaler than expected)

Ref#2: http://web.stanford.edu/~dgleich/notebook/2009/04/birthday_distribution.html (looks more stretched if you stretch the scale)

Ref#3: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2145471/How-common-birthday-Chart-reveals-date-rates.html (the US case in a nice graphical representatioon. Note that US residents have only very few free holidays compared to Europeans)
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Frank, it's about two people having the same birth day, not *what* the day is. And the problem is set in a betting context, ie. what odds you have to win a wager.

Presumably, in a group gathered together, chances are high they are from the same geographic region thus sharing the underlying distribution of births. If this fails, adding more people will cater for any inconsistency regarding the initial assumptions.

Next time you go to a party or meeting of some kind comprising say 20 people or more, just try. I bet you will be surprised.