Author Topic: Nikon 35 mm f/2.5 SE lens for IR  (Read 2280 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Nikon 35 mm f/2.5 SE lens for IR
« on: June 18, 2015, 20:21:50 »
[ Posted 13 January, 2015]

The Nikon SE range were a series of 'economic' or 'entrance' lenses launched in the early '80s, targeted for the Nikon EM and FG camera lines. They had simpler optics and coatings than the regular Nikkors of the period, and were offered at a substantially lower price point.

Many the UV shooters might have tried some of these lenses as their optical designs are quite UV friendly. Never heard much of their use for IR photography, though. The 50 mm f/1.8 SE and the 100 mm f/2.8 SE are pretty goodfor IR actually, and apparently the 35 mm f/2.5 SE with which I have dabbled with on my IR-modified Nikon D5300 the last days, also belongs here. There is no hot spot and virtually no focus shift for IR as well.

A few random examples, all from a icy cold winterly Denmark with plenty of wind and rain, but unlike Norway, no snow.

The last example shows a Bronze Age burial mound, which are plentiful around the Køge area Erik and I visited yesterday. These relics from a past long gone are fascinating reminders that history of Man continues back for thousands and thousands of years. In our near- and short-sighted clueless era we need those references more than ever.