Author Topic: The "S" heritage  (Read 78318 times)

Almass

Re: The "S" heritage
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 16:20:29 »
The 50mm 1.1 need a very slight modification to the rear housing, then it fits a standard Nikon S to Leica M focus adapter...

Yes. It would be great if you could sometime have a look as well at the Zunow 50/1.1 and the AngenieuxP 50/1.5 and 1.8 and other rubbish similar stuff as well.
Each seems to have a different mount of some sort.
Maybe when you visit London next time.....and I am there as well  ;D

Are you saying that I could use the Nikon 50/1.1 only on a Leica? I don't have Leica bodies only a very old original S1.
Are they usable on modern CaNikon's?

Longhiker

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 16:41:16 »
I too would love to see Nikon come out with something along the lines of that series in the more modern form. I think they would do very well.

I can understand your attachment to this lovely old camera. It does remind me (only superficially) of my father's hand-me-down Argus C3 that I lugged around on my week-long backpacking trips into the Cascades as the first 35mm camera I used to record my travels. Technically crappy photos (totally my fault), but still great memories. I never did really get a good handle on focusing true rangefinders. Again a failing on my part. Unfortunately, my youngest brother lost it. That would be another camera that I would never sell.

I'm sure many people have some piece of photo gear that is too dear to part with. You just have a piece that also has a superlative history that just makes it that much more interesting. I bet you've got a lot of items like that.
Bob Fanshier

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 00:26:02 »
Yes you can get the Nippon Kogaku to work on a focusing adapter on Leica M

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-Nikon-Nikkor-N-50mm-f-1-1-NIPPON-KOGAKU-adapter-for-Leica-M-Mount-RF-Couple-/311383384264

Zunow 50mm 1.1 as well ;) Should be very good, I know a camera shop in London ReddotCamera there you can see on as well ;)

Could be great fun with a London meet up ;)
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Erik Lund

null

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 22:56:53 »
The Zunow 5cm F1.1 internal mount lens could be used on most Mirrorless cameras using an adapter. Amedeo makes a good one for various mirrorless mount cameras. He also makes them for Leica M-Mount cameras, are rangefinder coupled. He has two series of RF coupled mounts, the Nikon S-Mount uses a straight Cam, the Contax->Leica mount uses an Indexed Cam to correct for the difference in focal length. I believe the Zunow was made in Contax mount and in Nikon mount- best to look for a marking on it. Very rare lens, congratulations.

I've ended up with a nice collection of Nikon RF's and lenses over the years, the S3 and SP being the favorite users- a 50 on the SP and 35 on the S3 being typical. I "fell into" a pair of Nikon M's at an old antique store, user condition, an M, and an M with flash Sync. The M without Sync had a collapsible Sonnar on it: I figured the original owner did not like the Rigid Nikkor 5cm F2 and had missed out on the Collapsible Nikkor. The M with Sync had a 5005 series 5cm F1.4 on it that someone crushed the filter ring to use 39mm filters with it. Straightened it out, but a Series VI adapter on it. $500 for the pair... no complaints.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 23:32:25 »
That was a really good deal ;)

Yes it was the Amedo adapters I was thinking about - I have been looking for a nice fast nikkor for my Leica M9 for a long time, seems like collectors keep the prices at an unrealistic level,,,
Erik Lund

Almass

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 05:41:59 »
Thank you Doctor and Brian.

I don't know who is Amadeo?

The person I used to be in contact with is AF Wong in HK. Are we talking about the same person?
I lost contact with him long time ago.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 10:38:12 »
Here is his site:

http://www.amedeo.muscelli.net/

It contains references to his 'auctions'  ;)
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 11:04:51 »
That's very interesting. Perhaps I can use my 5 cm Nikkors on the Sony A7 after all? (I have adapters for the 85 & 105 "S" Nikkors already).

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 11:18:32 »
His description is terse - the 5 cm lenses have no helicoid of their own, is that included with the adapter?

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 11:31:28 »
Yes you lock the lens at infinity, the adapter has a build in 'replacement' helicoil capable of properly adjusting 21mm all the way up to 135mm lenses properly

It doesn't matter if it is Contax or Nikon mount since you use it on a Mirror less...  ::)

For further info for Leica M users like M9:

The dedicated Leica M adapter is for 50mm lenses only, but also has this 'replacement' helicoil build in:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-S2-S3-SP-Rangefinder-Lens-to-Leica-M3-M8-M9-adapter-ring-/131726663868?hash=item1eab8560bc:g:ZhwAAOSwh6xTsJEW

Please note: he uses the same image from time to time between Contax and Nikon for these!!! And here it makes a difference on Leica M!!!
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 12:10:20 »
Hm. As I have no immediate plans of going the Leica route, perhaps best to stick to the generic Sony E adapter then? I did shoot a lot with the 5 cm f/2 and f/1.4 Nikkors back in my SP/S3 days and liked their drawing.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 12:31:23 »
Yes it is a much more universal adapter, and makes wide angles capable of being shot much closer,,,
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 12:32:34 »
OK. Thanks for the heads-up, Erik, I'll scuttle straight over and get one of these.