Author Topic: "Highlights" with the Micro Nikkor 55mm 3.5  (Read 1536 times)

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
"Highlights" with the Micro Nikkor 55mm 3.5
« on: December 21, 2015, 15:37:30 »
A photo from a short walk with perfect light. I love the old Micro Nikkor 55 3.5. Not really perfect, but dos a good job as the D700 does. Do i really need a DF? ;)
Some pictures on FLICKR

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: "Highlight"
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 16:05:31 »
Nice illustration of what the old lens can deliver. The various Micro-Nikkors of all generations have been excellent performers.

As to the camera, there is little to be said against a D700. It has been a very successful model for Nikon and serving as the introduction to the FX class cameras for many users. Personally, I prefer the handling of my Df, but I sometimes commit myself to my D700 as well. These days the D700 usually finds itself in an underwater housing though.

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
Re: "Highlight"
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 16:41:17 »
I just bought a copy of a Micro Nikkor 105mm F4 for a few Euros. They are almost too cheap: 50 Euros for a 55mm and 90 Euros for an excellent 105mm. Find attched another photo with the 55mm. Also good for distance and a nice color rendering.
Some pictures on FLICKR

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
Re: "Highlights" with the Micro Nikkor 55mm 3.5
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 17:02:17 »
But back to topic: Another Example for "Nature".
Some pictures on FLICKR

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 18:02:45 »
I like the Micro Nikkor 55mm F/3.5 a lot (was lucky to acquire a mint one from 1963 for the price of a Nikkor 35-70 3.3-4.5)

Not only very suitable for Micro-work, but also for street work. Apart from some very minor distortion I couldn't find a drawback (but perhaps it's there?) . The field of depth at 3.5 is remarkable.   The traffic-sign was also shot with the 55/3.5   http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,2168.msg26226.html#msg26226 The lens has a kind unique clarity and crispness.

Coins - Hydrangea leaf - Market

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 22:06:57 »
A photo from a short walk with perfect light. I love the old Micro Nikkor 55 3.5. Not really perfect, but dos a good job as the D700 does. Do i really need a DF? ;)

Well, I found a real improvement in macro/close up work using the Df after the D700 (which I liked a lot) for numerous reasons :

# high ISO allowing to take images in low light conditions (forests, woods, shadowed areas, end of day, ect...

# less difference between high and low light, hence more details given (what we call in french : dynamique, but i don't know the translation). its sensor is the same as the D4 one.

# lighter than the D700 (think about tripod always useful but you have to carry it in the field)

# and I own several ''non AI/auto'' lenses which I couldn't use with the D700.

So, if you plan to make many close up picture, that would be a sensible choice... :)

NB: I didn't find a pic made with the Df, so here is one with the D700 for the moment.

Francis Devrainne