Author Topic: Testing the 85mm PC-E (flowers)  (Read 2637 times)

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
Testing the 85mm PC-E (flowers)
« on: June 18, 2015, 17:54:40 »
Trying out the new 85mm PC-E, so far I love it. But I have to return it for repair, there is some slack in the focusing. Nikon has lent me another one while I have my own fixed.
This is two photos from our greenhouse.
The first is a Dahlia, called "cactus", surrounded by tomato leaves.
The second is a photo of a Cosmos from the sunflower family, and a Tagetes (the yellow one).
Bjørn Jørgensen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Testing the 85mm PC-E (flowers)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 18:09:08 »
My sample of the 85 mm f/2.8 PC also has considerable play in its focusing collar. Might be unavoidable with this particular lens construction.

Whether the play is objectionable must be found in field practice.

Intrepid

• NG Member
  • Rank Amateur
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 18:16:15 »
I took my sample (PC 85) out recently to check for something and there are no issues.  Everything tip top.
Vivek Iyer

Bjørn J

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 18:20:21 »
The one that Nikon lent me has no issues, and my 24mm has absolutely no slack either. The slack in the focusing mechanism is annoying, it makes it a bit harder to get precise focus. I received a bad sample I guess. Hope they can fix it - but I have Nikon's lens as hostage :)
Bjørn Jørgensen

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 19:14:22 »
I have the main three PC Nikkors. Of the three, I use the 45mm PC the most, and the 24mm second. I like to do SHIFT partial panoramas with them because of the larger image circle. My only complaint, which is true of many Nikon lenses, is that these lenses are not highly corrected and that interferes with my enjoyment of the results. Otherwise they are great little workhorses.

Here is a partial panorama using the PC-E 24mm Nikkor to give an example of how I use these lenses. This a partial panorama which is also stacked.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Bjørn J

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 20:01:36 »
Thank you Michael. I plan to get the 45mm as well in due time. I like the way these lenses forces me to slow down.
Bjørn Jørgensen