Author Topic: Streets of Kanpur  (Read 8538 times)

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
Re: Streets of Kanpur
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 20:08:16 »
That's a crowded bus, and I will not comment on the street sign above it :)
The half-lit sign on the bus says "VIP" (written in Hindi).  :D
Anirban Halder

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 20:18:38 »
That's huge appreciation, Akira. Thank you! On similar note: at one spot few guys ganged up against me as they were not sure if why I'm taking pictures. As if I caught them doing something illegal. I told them - I'm a tourist from Bangalore and I appreciate how lively this town is etc etc. Boosted their ego and they happily let me carry on. I was afraid to loose my camera for a moment there.  :)

Anirban, I guess they WERE doing something illegal.  :D

By the way, in which language did you communicate with them?  Also, is your mother tongue Kannada?  I have an autograph by a great Carnatic percussionist Trilok Gurtu in his mother tongue.  But I'm not sure if it is in Kannada or in Hindi...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 23:19:43 »
Great serie Anirban. Such colors ... And the wedding progression is totally new to me. Never seen something like that.
Bruno Schröder

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 05:33:29 »
Anirban, I guess they WERE doing something illegal.  :D

By the way, in which language did you communicate with them?  Also, is your mother tongue Kannada?  I have an autograph by a great Carnatic percussionist Trilok Gurtu in his mother tongue.  But I'm not sure if it is in Kannada or in Hindi...
I spoke in hindi with them. My mother tongue is Bengali (I was born and raised near Calcutta). Trilok Gurtu's signature should be in Hindi since he is originally from Mumbai. You are lucky to have his autograph and even more lucky if you have heard him live. I like Zakir Hussain more though; we can chat on this offline. :)

Great serie Anirban. Such colors ... And the wedding progression is totally new to me. Never seen something like that.
Thank you Bruno! Wedding procession shots aren't great in terms of IQ. But I thought they are meaningful in this thread's context, hence included them.
Anirban Halder

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 05:37:08 »
Next day 7AM morning stroll.
Hinduism is staunch in this part of India. Orange/Saffron is color of Hinduism hence you will notice abundance of Marigold flowers everywhere even in earlier photos as well.

#13. In front of a temple

#14.  Selling Marigold saplings and flowers.

#15. God loving? Those are photos and idols of Hindu gods and deities.

Anirban Halder

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 10:26:28 »
I love this Bicycle. I will take it as a desktop BG for a while!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Longhiker

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2015, 18:32:35 »
Fantastic images. This is one of the best essays of Indian scenes that I've seen. Thank you for the effort in providing these wonderful images.
Bob Fanshier

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2015, 01:21:40 »
I spoke in hindi with them. My mother tongue is Bengali (I was born and raised near Calcutta). Trilok Gurtu's signature should be in Hindi since he is originally from Mumbai. You are lucky to have his autograph and even more lucky if you have heard him live. I like Zakir Hussain more though; we can chat on this offline. :)

Thanks for the details, Anirban.  Good idea to go offline for the great Indian percussionists!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 04:52:15 »
I love this Bicycle. I will take it as a desktop BG for a while!
That would be an honor.
That bicycle has taken a lot of beatings and still proudly serving its owner for his living!

#16.

Fantastic images. This is one of the best essays of Indian scenes that I've seen. Thank you for the effort in providing these wonderful images.
THANK YOU for the kind words, Bob. Glad you liked them. :)

Paperwallah (Newspaper sellers):
#17.

#18. He is probably reading news online, while waiting for customers!

Anirban Halder

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2015, 05:07:03 »
Very good iq pictures, thats how i know India much have changed since i was there for the first time in 1973 but the feel remains the same

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2015, 06:15:51 »
Anirban, a really good series of images. Goa is much less colourful (compared) to many parts of India but I've been shooting for B&W lately so..... makes no difference  ;)

When we talk of Drummers, I can throw in my mate Bondo, but he is more at home Sambas and Latin beats .   He is working in Mumbai at this moment but was trying to cut loose for the ISL final against Chennai tonight.  A fair number of the Billionaires Club will be there but rumour has it that the King of Good Times had to really pay up for VIP tickets  ;)
Cheers,
Tom
Edit: My son is upset because I never bothered to get accredited by the ISL.  He figured he could have been second camera with the 500vr  ;D
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 08:19:12 »
Thank you Anirban, for bringing a slice of India into my living room. I love the color and the people ... but you can keep the heat and humidity.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2015, 15:52:50 »
Fantastic series Anirban!

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2015, 16:07:54 »
Very good iq pictures, thats how i know India much have changed since i was there for the first time in 1973 but the feel remains the same
Thank you Fons. Do you have pictures taken during your visit to India? Would love to see those if you have any.

Anirban, a really good series of images. Goa is much less colourful (compared) to many parts of India but I've been shooting for B&W lately so..... makes no difference  ;)
Thank you Tom! :) Goa is beautiful and very colorful as well. I was there few years back.Some day I will surely share a similar series on Goa. :)
P.S: You surely should get yourself accredited by the ISL.

Thank you Anirban, for bringing a slice of India into my living room. I love the color and the people ... but you can keep the heat and humidity.
LOL..   :D Thank you, Gary.

#19. Morning commuters on Rickshaw (three wheeled bicycle).

#20. Malai Makkhan: A sweet snack made from milk cream -- with pinch of Saffron, Rose water, Pistachio, Almonds. Very popular during the winters in cities of Lucknow, Kanpur, Varanasi. Just yummy!

#21. He was making good business in the morning itself.
Anirban Halder

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2015, 15:00:40 »
Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing them.
Jørgen Ramskov