Author Topic: Compensating MIcro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 revisited  (Read 30317 times)

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
Re: Compensating MIcro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 revisited
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2017, 16:08:32 »
As mentioned earlier, the 55/3.5 Micro-Nikkor (compensating version) is designed for cameras without TTL metering. As such they work relatively well on low-end DSLRs such as the D3xxx and D5xxx. These cameras will accept most pre-AI lenses with no issue since they have no AI tab to get in the way. There is no TTL metering so you either need to use an external meter, or guess, shoot, review and adjust until you get the exposure right - once you have got it right it won't change as you focus due to the compensating feature :o

For the same reason, tt's also my favorite when doing closeups with manual speedlights.

AI modification of the compensating micro only swapped out the aperture ring. Changing the lens from compensating to non-compensating is more involved and best left to members of the "What the Nerds Do" forum :)

I have done the ai-modification on mine, with a file.
I have tried, but I have don't managed to do the compensation to non-compensation.modification. The problem I have at this, is how I get the last step of disassembly before I get to the fork.
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2017, 16:14:23 »
I believe the fork is accessible from the front of the lens when you have unscrewed the threaded front-filterring and after you slide out the optical cell,,,

https://richardhaw.com/2017/01/18/repair-micro-nikkor-p-55mm-f3-5-auto/

Almost at the end, however as far as I can see from the pictures, this is not the same design as my compensating version,,, the fork was attached by 4 screws,,,
Erik Lund

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2017, 20:12:44 »
I believe the fork is accessible from the front of the lens when you have unscrewed the threaded front-filterring and after you slide out the optical cell,,,

https://richardhaw.com/2017/01/18/repair-micro-nikkor-p-55mm-f3-5-auto/

Almost at the end, however as far as I can see from the pictures, this is not the same design as my compensating version,,, the fork was attached by 4 screws,,,

After sliding out the optics, inside the barrel, there are a ring that is blocking the screws for the fork. It's that ring, I don't see how to remove.
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2017, 20:35:52 »
Isn’t it a threaded ring? Try and locate it in the images Rick has shown,,,
Erik Lund

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2017, 04:38:15 »
The fork assembly is different than any Nikkor I've been in. I haven't been in that many but a few. The slant that does the aperture compensation is easily seen in Richard's second photo above.

I'm thinking now that I've seen the inside the lens might as well be used with a hand held meter or the histogram. I have two. One is a bargain grade and I think I'll take down the edge of the aperture ring without doing an AI conversion, just take it down so it installed on my D800 without a tube so I can use 1/10x to 1x. For science I'm might get around to comparing infinity performance of the 55/3.5 compensating to a native 55/3.5 AI.

Time is a problem. I have so little free time I'm probably dreaming.

Dave Hartman

To see larger images click this link and slide down about 3/4 toward the bottom or better read the complete article...

Repair Micro-Nikkor-P 55mm f3-5 Auto by Richard Haw
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

JKoerner007

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2017, 18:45:58 »
Have you looked at the new Voigtlander 40/2 SLIIS? It has close focusing to 0.25m, giving 1:4 magnifications. That's about mid-way between the 50/2 and 55 micro in terms of close focusing. Should be good enough for most casual closeups, unless you are looking for more serious macro.

It has the faster f/2 aperture, a CPU, plus it has the classic metal scalloped focus ring. Personally I'd prefer the same with a slightly longer focal length but I am tempted... :o

I am going to go with this suggestion. Either the 40mm or the 58mm Voigtlander Nokton.

What I am really looking for is a lens to reverse, that's sharp wide-open, with minimal C/A.

I am realizing that none of the 55mm micro-Nikkors can be reversed. My ability to go 1:4 or 1:2 is already covered, The 50mm AI-S is really sharp at f/4, but has lots of CA. The 55 Micro-Nikkor is better-corrected, but cannot be reversed. It also is not as fast for portraiture.

If I get an elder 55 f/1.2 it will likely be the same story as the 50 f/1.2, albeit with a metal-scalloped focus ring.

I have also considered newer Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Milvus, which is very well-corrected, but it is heavier and more expensive, and many prefer the rendering of newer 58mm f/1.4 Voigtlander SL II S Nokton. It is supposed to well-corrected also, has great bokeh, and a copious focus throw. More importantly, the Voigtlander has a 52mm front thread element allowing the BR 2A reverse ring to be directly attached (whereas the Zeiss, in addition to being longer/heavier, also has a non-standard 67 mm front filter thread, requiring an additional step-down ring to reverse).

In fact, I could get the 40mm and 58mm Voigtlanders for about the price of the 50mm Zeiss Milvus. I could reverse the former to ~ 1.6x the latter to around 1x.

The Voigtlander Nokton is the way I am going to go, the 58mm for sure, and maybe both, so good suggestion, thanks.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2017, 20:13:22 »
I am realizing that none of the 55mm micro-Nikkors can be reversed. My ability to go 1:4 or 1:2 is already covered, The 50mm AI-S is really sharp at f/4, but has lots of CA. The 55 Micro-Nikkor is better-corrected, but cannot be reversed. It also is not as fast for portraiture.

Can't be reversed?? Can you explain why you are stating this?

Dave

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2017, 21:11:02 »
All Micro-Nikkor lenses can in principle be reversed. They are not magically different from other optical designs. I have worked with reversed 55 Micros for decades.

Reversing the longer ones easily defeats the purpose though as it is far from a certainty that one will get any useful magnification out of them in that mode.

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2017, 21:44:11 »
Of course the 55 micros can be reversed, but unless you need greater than 1:1 magnification, there is little need. They all perform extremely well down to 1:2, and with the M tube or PK-13 to 1:1. Since these lenses all have near symmetric optical designs, the performance gain by reversing for magnifications beyond 1:1 is only small. The AIS 55/2.8 on the PN-11 will get to nearly 1.5x life size, with the benefit of automatic aperture and AI metering. However, the working distance with this combination is very small.

My favourite combination for magnifications beyond 1:1 is the AF 105/2.8 micro with the PN-11 tube. This will get to about 1.6x life size with a good amount of working distance. Adding a PK-13 will increase the magnification to 2x. The PN-11 has a built-in tripod mount giving a well balanced and stable setup, and it is easy to change orientation from vertical to horizontal while staying on target. My PN-11 has a Arca-Swiss type quick release plate, I can easily move it forward and back a couple of cm within the clamp (like a short focus rail) to achieve focus once the lens has been set to the correct magnification - very convenient.

I'd only use a reversed lens if I needed to shoot higher magnifications, and then I would choose a shorter focal length otherwise the amount of extension required becomes unwieldy.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2017, 22:04:48 »
My PN-11 has a Arca-Swiss type quick release plate, I can easily move it forward and back a couple of cm within the clamp (like a short focus rail) to achieve focus once the lens has been set to the correct magnification - very convenient.
I use the Wimberley C-30 clamp as a macro slider. It allows more than a few centimeters and the length makes sliding a bit smother. 

Wimberley was going to discontinue the C-30 and wrote and asked them not to discontinue it. I told them I used it as a macro slider and for larger cameras. They replied they would keep it in production. It's now sold by B&H Photo, Adorama and other retailers. The current price is $99.95 (USD).

Below is my setup for the Nikon PN-11. The two pieces of aircraft aluminum are both screwed and expoxied together for safety and stability. I never got around to painting that part. The block allows for the use of the old fat 105/4.0 AI and also has a place for attaching an older Kirkphoto macro flash arm. The Wimberley lens plate also accommodates the Kirk macro flash arm.

Dave Harman Please send FREE time!™

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2017, 23:03:04 »
One shouldn't lose sight of other small, neat solutions to getting 1-5X or more in the field. The Olympus special macro lenses 20/2 and 38/2.8 come to mind. They have pretty decent image quality, in particular closed down one to two stops. As they require, by design, at least 14 mm extension before being attached to a camera, converting them to 'F' mount is straightforward: one simply removes the rear mount on an Olympus extension ring (14 mm or longer), and replaces it with an F bayonet. One needs only to drill three new mounting holes for the screws as the Olymus mount is held in a slight different position.

The 38/2.8 being the most versatile of the pair, covers 1.6 to 7X with maximum extension added, and combines nicely with a ring flash for hand-held field use..

JKoerner007

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2017, 00:12:31 »
Can't be reversed?? Can you explain why you are stating this?
Dave

Apparently, I was mistaken as to this.

Coin imaging states proper orientation is the best was to position this lens, while they recommend reversing on virtually all other Nikkors.

They don't even rate it at magnifications beyond 1:2, whereas other Nikkors are rated (reversed) on a bellows. (They rate it extremely high at 1:2, however!)

Maybe they discount the lens as a serious reverse-option because the front lens element is so recessed?

JKoerner007

« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2017, 00:35:20 »
Of course the 55 micros can be reversed, but unless you need greater than 1:1 magnification, there is little need. They all perform extremely well down to 1:2, and with the M tube or PK-13 to 1:1. Since these lenses all have near symmetric optical designs, the performance gain by reversing for magnifications beyond 1:1 is only small. The AIS 55/2.8 on the PN-11 will get to nearly 1.5x life size, with the benefit of automatic aperture and AI metering. However, the working distance with this combination is very small.

For 1:4, I like my Zeiss 135 f/2 Apo Sonnar.

For 1:2 - 1:1, I like my Voigtländer 125 f/2.5 Apo-Lanthar (in fact, the Zeiss usually stays at home, and I just use my CV.

My favourite combination for magnifications beyond 1:1 is the AF 105/2.8 micro with the PN-11 tube. This will get to about 1.6x life size with a good amount of working distance. Adding a PK-13 will increase the magnification to 2x. The PN-11 has a built-in tripod mount giving a well balanced and stable setup, and it is easy to change orientation from vertical to horizontal while staying on target. My PN-11 has a Arca-Swiss type quick release plate, I can easily move it forward and back a couple of cm within the clamp (like a short focus rail) to achieve focus once the lens has been set to the correct magnification - very convenient.

I'd only use a reversed lens if I needed to shoot higher magnifications, and then I would choose a shorter focal length otherwise the amount of extension required becomes unwieldy.

For the field, I'll just crop my Zeiss/CV shots for small increments over 1:1.

For the studio, I was using my 50 f/1.2 AI-S, reversed, for 1:1, which was extremely sharp at f/4 (for stacks), but had tons of CA if the setting was right. It is the 50 AI-S I have replaced with the 58mm f/1.4 Voigtlander SL II S Nokton (ordered/shipped today). If I am not satisfied, I will return and try the Micro-Nikkor.

I have not had much luck with biting-sharp field shots over 4-5:1. I think these higher magnifications are better left for the studio, even with flash.

My favorite high-mag lens, for the field, is the 28-50mm f/3.5 AI-S:

It focuses down to 1:4 properly-oriented, and achieves between 1:1 to an almost 3:1 reproduction ratio reversed.

Here is a recent shot at 1:4, properly-oriented:

And here is a shot at ~2:1, with it reversed (this spider could sit on the mantis' forearms):

The Zoom-Nikkor 28-50mm f/3.5 AI-S is not quite as clean as my AI-S primes, and certainly not as clean as my Zeiss/CV Apos ... but it is sharp and clean enough to justify its existence ... especially considering how light, versatile, and handy it is in one package. I can go 28-50mm properly-mounted ... to 1:4 ... then flip it and go 1:1 - ~3:1 as a macro.

One of the handiest little lenses I have ever owned, if not the handiest. If you don't feel like carrying a bunch of stuff, it can get a lot accomplished by itself, and a reverse-ring in your pocket.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2017, 08:37:18 »
Here is an extensive rundown on the optical design of the Micro Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 Ais and the AF version:

The animation aparently doesnt work but the illustrations show clearly what is going on,,,

http://archive.is/0p2d5

Please note for the nth time; These lenses have CRC, Close Range Correction, so any extension you add will bring them out of optimal optical performance!
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2017, 09:36:04 »
To elaborate: Image quality of any lens with its own focusing WILL suffer when extension is added.

The possible exception of course being the old-fashioned 'bellows' lenses that basically are just the optics, no focusing, and the required extension is provided by a bellows device or similar. However, even for these designs, you should expect a drop in quality if the amount of extension leads to magnifications outside the designated range.

The assertion of extension being harmless because it "does not add glass, only air" is fundamentally flawed. It's a myth deserving to be laid to rest.