Author Topic: RPP Raw converter  (Read 4187 times)

Maxim Legenchenko

• ________________
  • NG Member
  • RU
RPP Raw converter
« on: July 03, 2015, 10:36:15 »
I like shooting film and some years ago my fav camera was a cool Nikon S2 Black Dial rangefinder (Che Guevara have used the same Nikon model 8)).
Also i used Nikon Coolscan 8000ED for scanning my negatives and positives. I loved my transparencies and scanning. But it takes a lot of time, plus problems with film development around my location (with E-6 and C-41), so i use to be switched to Epson R-D1s rangefinder and start thinkig about "right" Raw processor.
I don't like Adobe or Aperture products. Only Nikon Capture was good software in a pair with Nikon digital "transerancies" and it gives me a good technical results, but with no "film" feeling.
I dont like any kinds of strong and radical simulations and post-processing manipulations with my digital photos so i don't understand something like "film grain simulation" or simple BW convertion, strange simple film simulating modes on JPEG-files.
I missed film shooting. One day i've google'ed about RPP processor developed by Andrey Tverdokhleb.
"RPP as a development machine in terms of film photography" he said.
RPP use math algorithms that can simulate film tonality during Raw development if you want via film simulation modes (like Velvia, Portra etc).
Software developers made a great job and it is works, i have nice results.
Also RPP is good helper for heavily under/over- exposed images or a simple powerful Raw-processor.
So if you like film try RPP. It's free (but you can make a donation to the developer) and RPP developed only for Mac machines.
Maxim L.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: RPP Raw converter
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 10:54:11 »
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Maxim Legenchenko

• ________________
  • NG Member
  • RU
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 11:04:27 »
Frank, yes.
Maxim L.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 11:09:33 »
Pity there is no windows version.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Maxim Legenchenko

• ________________
  • NG Member
  • RU
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 11:25:40 »
Yes, for Mac users only.
Maxim L.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 13:13:43 »
I tried it some time ago.  The results were good, but the interface was and is by far the most user-unfriendly of any convertor I have used.  I gave up on it as it just took too long to get a result.  But if someone is willing to go through the pain, they will get good results.
Anthony Macaulay

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 13:31:31 »
Anthony. It is a programmers tool. User profile might differ from lawyers tools.... 😂

Maxim Legenchenko

• ________________
  • NG Member
  • RU
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 18:17:01 »
Anthony, minimalistic interface is good idea. Program is simple - just insert digits in fields and use keyboard (just remember button combinations).
Maxim L.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 21:44:48 »
Thanks, Maxim, but it really does not work for me.  But I urge others to try it.
Anthony Macaulay