Author Topic: "Kadalekai" - where Bangaloreans go nuts over nuts  (Read 4466 times)

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
"Kadalekai" - where Bangaloreans go nuts over nuts
« on: December 08, 2015, 10:25:55 »
"Kadalekai Parishe" - is an annual groundnut fair held in Bangalore. Farmers come from rural areas to sell raw and other form of groundnuts. Apart from the Groundnuts, there were numerous stalls in the fair, selling bangles, traditional toys, plastic and glass dolls and so on..

I stopped there last evening on my way back home from work. It was extremely crowded - so crowded at one point that I wasn't able to hold my camera still even for a second. This part of the world people don't care about personal space at all.

#1.

#2. Boiled groundnuts.

#3. Some love boiled groundnuts. I don't.

#4.

#5.

Anirban Halder

Alex Cejka

• NG Member
  • South Ontario, Canada
    • Alex Cejka Photography
Re: "Kadalekai" - where Bangaloreans go nuts over nuts
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 10:58:17 »
Nice set of images from part of the world I've never been to. I don't like crowds but I too enjoy street photography.

Mike G

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 14:07:23 »
Alex, in India you are never far from a crowd, as i'm sure Anirban can confirm.  :)

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 15:31:09 »
Nice set of images from part of the world I've never been to. I don't like crowds but I too enjoy street photography.
Thanks Alex. One advantage of too much crowd is that you never get eyeballed for taking pictures. :)

Alex, in India you are never far from a crowd, as i'm sure Anirban can confirm.  :)

Very true Mike. :) Most of the cities or towns that anyone will visit are densely populated. There are few exceptions though. Himalayas and northeastern states are other extreme. You can go miles after miles without noticing anyone.
Anirban Halder

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 16:21:07 »
 Nice Anirban. Here, we call groundnuts, peanuts. Love them roasted.  The peppers in #2 look deadly. The blur in the last image is excellant.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 16:28:42 »
Thanks for sharing, Anirban!

One question: what is the most popular way to eat peanuts out there?  We mostly roast them and that's pretty much it.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 17:35:03 »
Nice Anirban. Here, we call groundnuts, peanuts. Love them roasted.  The peppers in #2 look deadly. The blur in the last image is excellant.
Thanks Gary. We call them peanuts too. :) Those peppers are indeed deadly.

Thanks for sharing, Anirban!

One question: what is the most popular way to eat peanuts out there?  We mostly roast them and that's pretty much it.
Thank you, Akira. Most popular way is roasted. Only in Southern parts of India people like it boiled. Also in southern India groundnuts are heavily used as ingredients in various dishes like a spice... For alcohol lovers "peanut masala" is a popular dish to share drinks with - roasted peanuts combined with chopped onion, cilantro, tomato, green chili, lemon juice, salt, chili pepper powder, drizzle oil.
Btw - "peanut butter" is a rare item in India.
Anirban Halder

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 17:49:05 »
#6.
I've borrowed my uncle's Ricoh GR for few weeks. It's indeed a tiny camera with excellent image quality. Below is an in-camera JPEG from Ricoh GR.
Some of the previous photos are Ricoh as well.

Anirban Halder

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 20:43:26 »
Terrific series Anirban

in my case I'm afraid of getting my camera stolen if I go into a crowd in a market
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 23:03:09 »
Thank you, Akira. Most popular way is roasted. Only in Southern parts of India people like it boiled. Also in southern India groundnuts are heavily used as ingredients in various dishes like a spice... For alcohol lovers "peanut masala" is a popular dish to share drinks with - roasted peanuts combined with chopped onion, cilantro, tomato, green chili, lemon juice, salt, chili pepper powder, drizzle oil.
Btw - "peanut butter" is a rare item in India.

Thanks, Anirban, for the details.  I'd like to taste the peaut masala!  I like the Indian food which is very popular in Japan.  There are a bunch of Indian restaurant here in Tokyo.  The beanut butter is not my taste...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 03:52:18 »
I love peanut butter. Often I'll eat it straight. Just dip a spoon into the jar, (but only once, lol). Bagged peanuts, roasted in the shell and lightly salted are a big seller at sporting events here.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 04:57:32 »
Terrific series Anirban

in my case I'm afraid of getting my camera stolen if I go into a crowd in a market
Thank you Armando!
Usually I don't worry about camera or wallet with usual crowd. But yesterday I was really worried about my wallet and mobile phone the whole time whenever I was taking pictures. If I were a thief I would have targeted those with SLR/mirrorless cameras. :)
Mental note: next time leave wallet and mobile phone at home while shooting in the middle of a big crowd.. Just carry small amount of cash.

Just to give a feel of how crowded it was:
@28mm

@200mm.. Same spot.
Anirban Halder

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 04:58:22 »
I love peanut butter. Often I'll eat it straight. Just dip a spoon into the jar, (but only once, lol). Bagged peanuts, roasted in the shell and lightly salted are a big seller at sporting events here.
:D  :D
Anirban Halder