Author Topic: A friendly warning ...  (Read 23743 times)

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
Re: A friendly warning ...
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2016, 12:40:26 »
Using the cloud might be another option but I'm not a belieber in the concept that others can determine what they can do with my data.

The venerable Steve "Woz" Wozniak expressed similar trepidation, regarding the "cloud", urging all concerned to reconsider, for one, optical media held in environmentally secured storage. Tape -- the "real stuff" is a great option if you have access to a mainframe computer, situated safely in a salt mine or... I don't know. A hollowed-out mountain in Sweden? Arkansas?

Fine art photographers, and highly subsidized and staffed university, scientific, industrial and forensic photographers, might also consider "hard copy" in the form of printed proofs on archival stock, held in suitably secure storage. (Last year I saw a 150 year old photo produced in Paris'. Last night night I attempted to rescue files on a hard drive, produced last month.)

I do realize many NG members have tens, even hundreds, of thousands of images to store, making print-file solutions prohibitively expensive and/or impractically time consuming. For this, I have no definitive answer, save for rewording what was already said by others. The rest of us (artiste') retain relatively little of what we shoot; create artist's proofs, then run limited editions of prints offered for sale. (Sometimes the ruse works, and people actually buy our "art".) All else is in a book -- somewhere -- hopefully forever or until the world tires of us. (If you ever have trouble sleeping, I'll show you my portfolio. I guarantee you'll sleep for a month after that -- but don't blame me if you smash your camera against a rock later, or paint your walls black or something. I was even once told, a near-hysteric suffered psychosomatic blindness for weeks, mumbling something about never wanting to see another "cow, bug, tree or cute baby" again. But I think it was really just for days, not "weeks". You know how people inflate facts to drive a point home. Or, in my case, a spike into an eyeball.)

Just for the record: I'm not a fan of Apple™, nor a disenfranchised one time fellow traveler who fell out of favor with the cult of "Jobs". However, I have always respected "the Woz" for the engineer he was (still is) and if he says he smells smoke, I don't have to see flames to believe him.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2016, 12:48:14 »
You don't need mainframe access to have tape drives :D

However, "tape" isn't necessarily the same thing, although there is a tape underneath. Beware of the DAT kind as they are susceptible to "tape salad". The more modern LTO tapes fare much better. I have  built my backup server cluster on these. Works very well.

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2016, 13:00:47 »
YIKES! And there goes my last excuse not to start drinking before noon. Thanks doc! I'll get you for that.  ;D Now, where did I put my head? It was on my shoulders just a minute ago.

Incidentally: Nice array! And that black, is very sexy! How does it handle heat dissipation? Gamma shielding etc? Is it impervious to small rodents?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2016, 13:12:52 »
I'm living in a cold Nordic country. So heat dissipation is guaranteed ... Running a few tape stations is not that a burden for the box (4x4 Xeon).

Black seen through the eye(s) of a Noct-Nikkor at f/1.2 is even sexier. Or so my girl friend tells me.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2016, 13:59:23 »
The recommended computer for Nordic people...

http://www.qarnot-computing.com/qrad
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2016, 14:05:13 »
Interesting concept, but does not appear to be versatile enough for a true server station.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2016, 14:14:39 »
It seems they sell the computing power to companies.

Speaking of cloud backup, I recently became aware of https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage.html
Their pricing seem quite fair, something like $5/month for 1000GB.
Jørgen Ramskov

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2016, 18:51:44 »
The recommended computer for Nordic people...

http://www.qarnot-computing.com/qrad

I followed the link, read the sales pitch etc, and am still not sure if it's a practical joke, something lost in translation, or that they are merely being ironic -- and honest in the process. (In the processor?)

Anyway, I bet it's a blast for pre-heating socks and underwear on chilly mornings.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2016, 20:40:52 »
Interesting concept, but does not appear to be versatile enough for a true server station.

It seems they sell the computing power to companies.

I followed the link, read the sales pitch etc, and am still not sure if it's a practical joke, something lost in translation, or that they are merely being ironic -- and honest in the process. (In the processor?)

Anyway, I bet it's a blast for pre-heating socks and underwear on chilly mornings.

The essential problem is what to do with it in the summer!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2016, 19:46:14 »
Keilschrift.
Visual reminder that you don't want it. Acustically easy to identify as the pecker started to work on conterfeiting our ancestors scripture thus reducing the information densitity to zero.
-/-/-

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2016, 23:09:10 »
My Goodness Thomas
I'm imagining the sound this produced was worse than that produced by scraping your nails down the old chalk-style blackboard.

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2016, 23:29:40 »
Colin,
your imagination seems quite matching. Harddrives die - this one shouted it out. The neighbour disk in the set died about a day after the rebuild was done.
The data got along, but all disks had to be replaced in a carefully orchestrated session, rebuilding the raid data much slower then usually to keep the disks alive for sufficient time.
-/-/-

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2016, 14:31:04 »
Very cool image!  :D Thanks for sharing
Erik Lund