Author Topic: Modify button?  (Read 2934 times)

Mike G

Modify button?
« on: November 28, 2015, 22:14:47 »
It seems that the "Modify" button has disappeared from replies I  have made, if this is permanent what a shame?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Modify button?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 23:35:41 »
There is a 48 hour time window for making modifications. Once this window closes, only admins can alter a post. If something is urgently in need of a change, send us a PM.

Mike G

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 09:08:45 »
Got it now Bjorn, it's obviously something I've missed because I've never noticed this rule before. Personnally I would have preferred a longer window of opportunity but hey ho!

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 09:29:13 »
The time limit was set to prevent thread thrashing. We had some attempts of that.

However, if you have serious reasons to alter a post after the windows is closed, just send us a PM with the suggested change(s).

Mike G

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 12:27:46 »
Bjorn will do, I quite often wish to make changes or additions to a reply, now hopefully I will and must remember the 48 hour rule!

There is always the option of posting another reply of course.

Cheers Bjorn.

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 14:24:43 »
In other Forums I go to it's good practice to put a [edit] .... [/edit] remark to mention what one changed later on.

Regards,
Thomas

[edit] greetings added [/edit]
-/-/-

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 14:45:05 »
We leave the marking of edited text up to each member. It is entirely possible to mark up any alterations by italics, strike-through text etc., but this easily gets too complicated and error-prone.

If there is a significant change in the original text, and such parts  have lead to later replies etc., I think adding a strike-through style to the paragraph(s) is in order, plus an Edit line at the end of the post stating why text needed a change. Nobody is infallible.

However, as stated in my first answer, the finite editing window is there for a reason.