Author Topic: Another CPH Session with Erik  (Read 24555 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Another CPH Session with Erik
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 17:57:33 »
So you do prefer the larger sensor of the NEX over the 1mm shorter flange distance of the Nikon 1?

Not that simple. First, the final register distance depends on what mount we end up with for each camera. Second, if field curvature is horrible, like some of the Heligons exhibit when they are pushed way outside their designated conjugate distances, a smaller sensor can be the very advantageous. Thus there are cases for multiple solutions.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 18:11:50 »
You are changing the actual mount on the camera?
Have you encountered any mounts for which this cannot be done?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 18:34:42 »
Of course we intend to change the mount of the camera - it is to be *dedicated* remember ... I have a Panasonic converted to 42 mm thread already, but the sensor quality is questionable.

Not all combinations will work due to the lack of internal structural support of the camera. We have tentatively identified suitable 52 mm thread mounts for the NEX-3 and the 1V1, but only actually opening up the camera will reveal whether the conversion is feasible.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2015, 18:45:03 »
Getting a 42 or 52 mount would be ideal indeed. The only workable Nikon 1 adapter I've found (39mm, on eBay) is still unnecessarily too long but apparently there is no shorter one available.
Bruno Schröder

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2015, 18:45:42 »
Success !! trust Erik never to give up ...

The Sonnar now has its F-mount provisionally in place and we know it can reach infinity. Final focal adjustments require daylight so will take place tomorrow. Then it'll receive its well-deserved CPU.

We take a break now for dinner. Return later with the first attempts on the mount conversions of 1V1/NEX-3. Eventually we detect whether conversion is at all possible,  but first some food and Danish beers.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2015, 20:14:06 »
It is always interesting to see how far Erik can go in this type of lens modification work with quite simple tools and his Dremel equipment.

One day I will read a post saying that he has acquired a lathe and the tooling to go with it.  He will then be very seriously dangerous....   :D  :D  :D
Hugh Gunn

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2015, 21:22:39 »
Erik solves problems directly. Here he has found the perfect method for adding the F-mount by using a 52 mm male thread ring on the inside as a locking nut for a K2 one the outside. Sealing the inner nut by epoxy glue right here ....

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2015, 21:24:59 »
Next step, after screwing the K2 into its locking nut, is drilling the two holes for the holding screws for the CPU contact block. Using a dedicated jig template ensures these holes are nicely drilled and correctly positioned.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2015, 21:29:13 »
The last step before the lens mount is completed is adding the CPU and cleaning off any remaining debris. Later I'll program the CPU in situ.

Final adjustment of infinity focus is scheduled for tomorrow. That is, if the sudden blizzard over Copenhagen clears up by then. No way we can find any visible infinity target at present :D

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 22:32:31 »
Next out is the NEX-3 that is to receive a 52 mm thread mount. Here the camera is bereaved its factory mount with the Sony A7 as a shocked witness.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 23:04:18 »
After some deliberations, the NEX-3 got its dedicated 52 mm thread mount. Needless to say, the mount now is *no longer* the weakest point of the camera ! The holding screws are sunk deep enough to stay clear of the threads. If we later need to know the position of the lens release pin, a pilot hole marks this in front.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2015, 23:08:38 »
The Rodenstock Heligon 100 mm f/1.5 now sits securely into the 52 mm threads of the NEX-3 camera. Most of my exotic lenses have at least an intermediary 52 mm thread somewhere in their adapter stack, so basically this size will allow all of them to mount.

We both conclude this has been a perfect day despite the inclement weather outside :D. Now time for relaxation, reading a good book, and in due time, some sleep until we start all over again tomorrow.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2015, 08:55:42 »
I slept peacefully through a blizzard over Copenhagen that dumped up to half a metre of wet snow over the poor city. In the early morning hours, the 180 Sonar is finalised as far as focusing adjustments go and its CPU is installed and correct metering verified.

However, we also have a plastic bag of Nikon Df parts that constitutes a 3-D puzzle. Have to ask Erik over morning coffee what to do about that ....

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2015, 09:01:23 »
This is what remains of my first Nikon Df camera. Interesting array of parts and not easy to see how it eventually might fit together to form a complete camera !!

Everything, down to the last minute screw, is contained inside that sturdy plastic bag ... A true 3-D puzzle for the keen enthusiast.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2015, 11:00:55 »
Oh well - that bagful of Df parts has to wait for a bleaker day ...

Now, on to modification of the pristine 1V1 I got yesterday. The new battery for the camera costs more than what I paid for the whole outfit so I for one won't complain. A perfect victim for nerds like myself & Erik.

Here Erik is contemplating a suitable 52 mm thread mount for the 1V1.