Author Topic: [Theme] Trains and boats (no planes)  (Read 196658 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: [Theme] Trains and boats (no planes)
« Reply #405 on: November 29, 2016, 22:05:27 »
Oooh, would there be kayaks and train at the same time !!

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #406 on: November 29, 2016, 22:12:35 »
wow Bjørn - those winter trains...
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #407 on: November 29, 2016, 22:26:55 »
wow Bjørn - those winter trains...

For you, my friend :D

I have local train as well as hills, forests, a river, and a lake all accessible from my home within minutes.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #408 on: November 29, 2016, 22:43:46 »
Oooh, would there be kayaks and train at the same time !!

Well, I more kayak shots, and more train shots, from that location, but no kayak and train shots. My excuse is that I didn't know that this thread was coming, and those shots were from 2007.  ;D
Carl

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #409 on: November 30, 2016, 00:52:23 »
A situation that might be corrected as I assume all the elements still occur on that location?

Mean while, I continue with the winter trains so loved by our SA member, Elsa. What about train and boat and snow all in one ?

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #410 on: November 30, 2016, 01:01:09 »
A situation that might be corrected as I assume all the elements still occur on that location?

Mean while, I continue with the winter trains so loved by our SA member, Elsa. What about train and boat and snow all in one ?

It is entirely possible that such shot can be had, as I'm sure that the activity continues at that location. Unfortunately, the location is in Durango, Colorado, a 9 hour trip from here, and I doubt if I'll return there. I will look to see if I can approximate the situation here.
Carl

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #411 on: November 30, 2016, 05:31:02 »
Snow is always welcome :)
But then the ultimate would be - trains and boats and planes :)
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #412 on: November 30, 2016, 08:37:02 »
Oooooops! 
Carl

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #413 on: November 30, 2016, 09:26:27 »

Small station Oss-West, commuters' train or sprinter as it is called here.

D500 -- 17-35/2.8

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #414 on: November 30, 2016, 11:07:32 »
Snow is always welcome :)
But then the ultimate would be - trains and boats and planes :)

The condition of the thread - NO planes - unfortunately prevents your wish to be fulfilled. Must search my archives, though, for such a picture and if found, post it in an alternate location.

Meanwhile, the Airport Express Train at Oslo Central Station has to suffice. Sorry.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #415 on: November 30, 2016, 23:28:35 »
It is entirely possible that such shot can be had, as I'm sure that the activity continues at that location. Unfortunately, the location is in Durango, Colorado, a 9 hour trip from here, and I doubt if I'll return there. I will look to see if I can approximate the situation here.

Looking at approximating that combination of boat and train here turns out to be more difficult than I first imagined. The only location for that activity no longer has a train crossing the water, the only boats are paddle boats. There is a light rail street car that crosses the water but there's no location available to enable me to capture water traffic and rail traffic in the same shot. Besides, I think that reducing boats to paddle boats, and trains to street cars, seriously dilutes the intent of this thread. Folks might want to tar and feather me for such insolence.  ;)
Carl

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #416 on: December 04, 2016, 15:03:06 »
This is the nearest I could come to Elsa's request for train and snow and plane. Taken at 'my' local train station, obviously when snow was present. The cloud layer blocks off the sight of the airplanes above on their approach to Oslo Airport Gardermoen (otherwise, were a plane to be displayed, the picture would not qualify for the current thread :D )

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #417 on: December 04, 2016, 15:09:53 »
Another train and snow scene. The conductor would wish to be somewhere else I presume ...

This is also a situation in which the photographer is thankful for the assistance provided by a good lens shade (the 105/2.5 with HN-8 hood). Having your lens filled in front with wet snow is unpleasant and counterproductive to your photography.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #418 on: December 04, 2016, 15:25:33 »
This is the nearest I could come to Elsa's request for train and snow and plane. Taken at 'my' local train station, obviously when snow was present. The cloud layer blocks off the sight of the airplanes above on their approach to Oslo Airport Gardermoen (otherwise, were a plane to be displayed, the picture would not qualify for the current thread :D )

Should I lend you a plane to photoshop into the frame  ;D ;D both are cool shots :)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #419 on: December 04, 2016, 15:30:38 »
Thanks for your kind offer Elsa, but have to decline as this goes against the grain of the thread. Plus I have lots of own plane shots should I feel the urge :D