Author Topic: [Theme] Night sky shots  (Read 66311 times)

charlie

• NG Supporter
Re: [Theme] Night sky shots
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2017, 18:56:51 »
Thanks Oivind (sorry,I don't know how to make the special norse characters).

(As for the Norse characteristics, you can simply copy&paste their names.   ;))

If you're on a Macbook you can hold down the key and a list of alternative letters you can use will pop up.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2017, 19:20:55 »
Learning how to process this images seems to never stop
I thought Deepsky would produce the best results, but for andromeda I was not quite happy with the initial results
here is an attempt stacking the images in PS, with a median filter, then adjusting luminosity and colors in separate layers

I saw this method in videos by Ian Norman (Lonelyspeck) in you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rltg47Q64W0

This is a stack of 12 frames , 30 seconds each

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

basker

• NG Member
« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2017, 19:36:05 »
Not a 3D camera?  :)
Sam McMillan

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2017, 19:44:21 »
Not a 3D camera?  :)
it is my android phone with the 70-300mm AFS zoom held with a rubber band, which also holds the aperture lever open :)

D800 with 80-200 f2.8 zoom mounted on the iOptron sky tracker
F/4 ISO 1600 30 secs
Armando Morales

basker

• NG Member
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2017, 20:00:30 »
Sure looks 3D to me.  :)
Sam McMillan

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2017, 22:25:48 »
Looks great Armando :)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2017, 13:37:50 »
Superb, and thanks for posting a link to the processing video.
Anthony Macaulay

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2017, 14:02:46 »
Amando, great rendering of the dusty stuff in Andromeda! Amazing what you got out of this with so few exposures.

Now on to an old acquaintance of several members here from a very different occasion. It has been shining so bright in the south-western sky lately, it has even seemed brighter than the moon, so I had to have another meeting with it tonight although atmospheric conditions were not the best as can be seen from the variability in these frames:

NIKON 1 AW1, f/8 @ 420 mm, 1/500, ISO 160

NIKON 1 AW1, f/8 @ 420 mm, 1/640, ISO 160

NIKON 1 AW1, f/8 @ 420 mm, 1/640, ISO 160 (all 3 frames scaled up 2x)

Focusing was very easy with my Bahtinov mask on the lens, showing marked diffraction spikes. The EXIF confirms that this object is brighter than the moon. Only the last exposure did not show any blown channels before adjustment. The surprising thing is that the near maximum brightness as seen here does not occur when light is reflected from the full surface as with our moon, but at a glancing angle.

Perhaps someone here with an even longer lens and a more quiet sky can get a better view of Venus?
Øivind Tøien

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2017, 15:35:48 »
Øivind

Wow, it is wonderful to see the planet being shaded by earth

A couple of nights ago I was out shooting orion again, while the images were taken, a friend and I were wondering what would it take to shoot venus as it was  the brightest object on the night sky, we figured a very long lens, and your images just confirm this , even 420mm on the Aw1 at 2x scale is not enough

I did try creating my own bathinov mask and did not get great results , I ended up focusing in live view

Thanks for sharing your images
Armando Morales

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2017, 18:24:35 »
Amazing celestial pageant, Øivind!

About 30 min later from this typing, NASA will make an important announcement about the planet outside the solar system.  I'm excited!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2017, 11:21:30 »
Thanks Amando and Akira for the the kind comments.

Wow, it is wonderful to see the planet being shaded by earth
Actually earth cannot cast a shade on Venus if that is what you mean as it is always closer to the sun.  8)  The shape is rather caused by some degree of backlighting, just as with crescent moon. On Venus that seems to be reflected more than when light is reflected back at a 90° angle, opposed what is the case with the moon. I was surprised reading about this recently.

A couple of nights ago I was out shooting orion again, while the images were taken, a friend and I were wondering what would it take to shoot venus as it was  the brightest object on the night sky, we figured a very long lens, and your images just confirm this , even 420mm on the Aw1 at 2x scale is not enough
Yes this is mostly done for own satisfaction. Planetary imaging is a specialty by itself. A more professional approach would be to use a high magnification refractor on a small sensor, and use video to capture as many frames as possible. Then one would use a program like Registax to automatically select the best frames and perform resolution stacking.

I did try creating my own bathinov mask and did not get great results , I ended up focusing in live view

I almost always use live view/image review at 100% view to focus with the Bahtinov mask. However except on the very brightest stars and planets, it is necessary to take an exposure (typically 10 sec) and evaluate the result. So it functions more like a focus confirmation tool most of the time than one used dynamically. What I can see is the stars becoming narrower in 100% view near correct focus when moving the focus ring. But sometimes it is just as easy without the mask attached to use the faintest visible stars in live view as focus targets, and then confirm focus with a Bahtinov mask exposure. If possible I also use it at the end of a series to see if focused changed. It might happen if I do not let the lens equilibrate long enough to outside temperatures.

My homemade Bahtinov mask:

Near perfect focus (heavy crop):

Øivind Tøien

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2017, 11:32:58 »
I have never seen a  Bahtinov mask before, fascinatingly simple focus aid!

Seems to be spelled: Bahtinov
Erik Lund

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2017, 11:37:42 »
Oops, sometimes ones fingers are thinking out of order. Corrected where needed, at least I got it right once.  :D
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2017, 16:54:17 »
Never heard of Bahtinov mask.  Thanks for the education, Øivind!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν