Author Topic: [Theme] Night sky shots  (Read 66398 times)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: [Theme] Night sky shots
« Reply #210 on: April 17, 2018, 02:27:48 »
Armando, thanks again for the splendid image in Post #209 and for sharing the methods and techniques that lie behind its capture.  Much appreciated.
Hugh Gunn

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #211 on: June 19, 2018, 07:04:13 »
Øivind, thanks for the details.

As I was reading your answer, it occurred to me that the vertical part of your L-bracket might serve you as a better base for the red dot sight, both in terms of stability and accuracy.  If your L-bracket has the markers of the optical axis, the alignment would be easier.  You can fix your red dot sight onto an Arca-Swiss clamp which should be fairly precisely manufactured.

Quoting a post far back, just a note that I discovered that clamps could be had fairly cheaply, and while I did not mount my red dot sight on the L-bracket as suggested, I found the foot of the usually unused lens collar to be a nice mounting location, as described and tested in daylight here, http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,7555.0.html . I am looking forward to try it on the night sky once it gets darker. I have high hopes that the on-site calibration step for the red dot sight can be omitted with this solution.
Øivind Tøien

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2018, 10:02:27 »
Øivind and Armando, those are really nice! Wow ;)
Erik Lund

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #213 on: June 19, 2018, 10:28:02 »

Thanks for your kind comment Erik. The captures/posts seem a long while ago here - a completely different world now with 24h daylight.
Øivind Tøien

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #214 on: October 11, 2018, 12:22:18 »
Finally the dark season is back and I got a few dark clear nights without much moonlight and aurora so that I could try out my red dot sight clamped to the lens collar for night sky captures. In addition I introduced one other change to my setup: I have usually used my 300mm f/4 PF stopped down 1/3 stop to f/4.5 to improve coma/astigmatism performance in the corners. However the slightly non-round aperture and many aperture blades do not create particularly attractive diffraction spikes at this aperture. Instead I introduced a round front aperture to the lens to remove the spikes and get rounder stars by adding a 77-67mm step down ring which gives very close to f/4.5. Some daylight exposure tests confirmed this in practice.

The accuracy of the red dot sight without any on site adjustments was very inspiring. I can now with high precision seek out night sky objects with no fear to bump the sight out of position. And since it builds higher I can view a centered red dot without moving the right angle finder out of position.

I have made one more adjustment to my routines: I try to let the tracker get some load in the opposite direction of its rotation to avoid that potential slack in the worm drive causes mis-tracking. (Symptoms of this is when stars now and then becomes two dots instead of one). As I mount the camera by the L-bracket it was easy to slide it left in the clamp (aiming south). This has given really good tracking results with the 300mm PF, and since I am imaging high in the sky the periodic error of the tracker also becomes less important while correct polar alignment is more critical. After deleting frames with satellites, I typically asked DeepSkyStacker to stack 95% of the frames in the following captures.

The autumn is a nice time with it clear air, no snow to reflect the light pollution and not too cold (last captures below was at -6°C) but enough to keep the sensor relatively cool. Since part of the milky way was at good position south of my cabin, that is where I aimed. All images are stacked 60 sec. exposures at f/4.5 and ISO 1600 except # 2 where I used 30 second exposures. Focus was mostly by using a barely visible star and confirmed with the Bahtinov mask on the lens.

First out is the Crescent Nebula (a mirrored C) to the lower right and the warm Cooling Tower star cluster at the 1/3 upper left. This is about 74 minutes integration time.

This inspired me to try something wider, the 50mm f/1.8. However preliminary tests indicated problems with "gull wings" (coma/astigmatism) in the corners and had to be stopped down to f/3.5 for acceptable performance. Here are the regions near the center of the Cygus constellation, about 45 minutes total integration time. The image above was just below the bright Sadr star near the middle of this view. I had to crop on the right as a tree got in the way towards the end. Also I was troubled by some gradients from lower left corner that I had to correct (likely from light pollution) and there is some remaining purple fringing that affects star color.

It is always good to start the season with a well known object. When the lower part of the Milky Way moved out of range, it was good to aim the 300mm PF towards M31, the Andromeda Galaxy. I used 95% of a total integration time of 102 minutes.

In the wider image of the Cygnus region (#2), one can barely make out a rounded shape to the lower left. That is the Veil Nebula. I had a little time one evening that started out clear and had to try. However it was too low in the sky from my position before the roof of the neighbor cabin came into the field with the 300mm PF. Thus I only got about 15 min integration time without obscured view.

If cropped at the bottom I could use about 30 minutes of integration time. I am not sure which one is best; colors are of course best in this one, but composition might suffer from being cropped. This will certainly be a target in my mind if I get a new change soon. Currently we got into the dark cloudy rainy mode so it might be a while.

So I looked for something higher in the sky to image, and wondered what could be in the region to the left of the very bright Deneb star. However this time I  started to get blasted by aurora after only 15 minutes. Nevertheless I stacked everything except the most intense period, and was surprised by the image I got from about 28 minutes integration time without troublesome gradients. A surprising amount of red hydrogen alpha emission was picked up by my non-modified D7100.

Øivind Tøien

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #215 on: October 11, 2018, 13:22:11 »
superb images!
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #216 on: October 11, 2018, 13:35:35 »
Really amazing!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #217 on: October 11, 2018, 14:07:32 »
Excellent work here Øivind.  Thanks for sharing these images and the methodology used to capture them. 

Is the zoological world about to lose one of its scientists to astronomy and astrophysics?  ;D
Hugh Gunn

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #218 on: October 11, 2018, 19:58:39 »
OH excellent work with a lot of detail and very good technical explanation for newbies like me to work with!
I post me first attempt on night sky shots this summer in a village 50km from Athens on 600m height
Nikon 7200, 35/1.8 DX, 4sec  1600 iso, PP on Lightroom CC
Thank you!

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #219 on: October 11, 2018, 22:31:14 »
Thanks for the enthusiastic comments, Armando, Jacov, Hugh and Nasos.

Nasos, that is a great first attempt, keep them coming! You could possibly go a little longer on the exposure, perhaps 6 seconds without getting trailed stars at 35mm focal length.
Øivind Tøien

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #220 on: October 11, 2018, 22:56:19 »
Fascinating  :)
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #221 on: October 12, 2018, 11:48:35 »
Øivind, as always, thank you for the mysteriously beautiful images!

#5 is breathtaking to me, even though you are not satisfied with the composition.  What is the blue serpentine thingie at the right bottom corner?  It also looks mysteriously beautiful...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #222 on: October 12, 2018, 11:49:22 »
OH excellent work with a lot of detail and very good technical explanation for newbies like me to work with!
I post me first attempt on night sky shots this summer in a village 50km from Athens on 600m height
Nikon 7200, 35/1.8 DX, 4sec  1600 iso, PP on Lightroom CC
Thank you!

Nasos, this is a promising start!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #223 on: October 12, 2018, 13:49:06 »
Thanks of the comments Erik and Akira. The blue at the lower right is part of the Eastern Veil, similar origin as the Western Veil. The blue is emitted by oxygen while the red is hydrogen emission. I really like the hue of the blue color in combination with the red/purple one. These are remnants of a supernova explosion according the the wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veil_Nebula. Considering the size of this object, almost filling a 300mm frame, it must have been a rather violent event!
Øivind Tøien

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #224 on: October 12, 2018, 13:52:03 »
This is fascinating indeed. Thanks you guys.