Author Topic: Sony A7 II enables uncompressed RAW and PDAF for adapted lenses  (Read 6213 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Since the price of A7 II is less than half of those of A7R II and A7S II, this can be very interesting...

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2190360051/sony-a7-ii-gains-faster-focus-for-adapted-lenses-and-uncompressed-raw
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Sony A7 II enables uncompressed RAW and PDAF for adapted lenses
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 11:37:15 »
Thanks Akira, was so busy last couple of weeks that I did see the firmware announcement but completely missed the PDAF update with 3rd party lenses.

As you mentioned it's less than half the price of the R and S models but has most of the features one needs.

BTW technically I really don't understand the 2000 euro price difference between the A7II and the a7RII / a7SII, with the MKI models the price difference was between 500-1000 euros but the original a7 was build with a cheaper plastic body and such which was easily explained.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 12:50:42 »
Unless I am reading it totally wrong the PDAF only applies to 3rd party lenses using the Sony adapters (?) . 

I do not have either of the Sony adapters and no plans to buy any of the existing A mount lenses.  Not great value from my point of view.  I have the Sigma Nikon Mount lenses that I want.   It would be interesting if Sigma started producing their Art series for FE but I do not think Sigma or Tamron will be in a rush given  Sony's track record on lens mounts.

The a7RII is coming down pretty fast on Grey models on eBay UK.  Another couple of hundred and I should have waited until my wife is there in January.  The only thing I really wanted from the a7RII over the a7II is the silent shutter and improved High ISO but the ISO is not that big of a deal since I am not using the a7II for high shutter speeds.

It will be interesting to see if Sony continues FW updates for other things.   I could handle a dumbed down Sony just for stills.  I'm not sure what Leica did/simplified with their menu for the new M model but it sounds like Sony might want to do the same thing.  Unfortunately I cannot see Sony taking Vids out of a body.  I fully expect them to keep adding new tech. leading to even more menu items.

I am enjoying the a7II  :)
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 13:12:07 »
Jan and Tom,

Sorry to be unclear.  The PDAF will only work with the A mount lenses when adapted via LA-EA3 or LA-EA1 (the latter is only for APS-C lenses).

The original A7 series suffered from what I would think careless designs: the plastic claw of the lens mount on A7, the shutter unit that created shocks on A7R, etc.  But, as Jan pointed out, the prices of the second generation was doubled for some unreasonable reasons.  The RX1 followed the same path.  So, the A7 II, now offering 14bit uncompressed RAW, seems to be an obvious choice for us.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 14:43:30 »
In all fairness the a7RII is in the same performance legeau as the D810 and 5DIII so the price seems to be valid and like the Sony those cams had roughly the same price increasement as well a few upgrades later.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 15:34:24 »
Now that A7R II and 5Ds/sR is about 33% (about 100,000 JPY) more expensive than D810 here in Tokyo, D810 looks like a bargain.  :P

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 19:00:31 »
Here in the Netherlands the prices are pretty much in the same price range but yes the D810 is the cheaper model (prices incl 21% VAT):
- D810: €3200
- a7RII: €3500
- 5Ds: €3550
- 5dsR: €3750

The new Leica SL is double that at a whopping €7000 :o :o

And I remember buying the best in class D3s on release day for €4500 while the D4s is still over €6000 here at the end of its lifecycle...

In other words, I don't like were these prices are going :-\

Cheers,
Jan Anne

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 20:24:42 »
I think that, at first, Sony was giving the A7 cameras away at cost, or at a small profit,  just to get people to try them.
Now they have adjusted the price to match their most direct competitors.  It seems that in consumer psychology, there is such a thing as 'too low a price' causing a perception of low value/worthlessness.
At the current prices, Sony is making a killing...a very large profit per unit.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 21:35:25 »
The new Leica SL is double that at a whopping €7000 :o :o

In other words, I don't like were these prices are going :-\

Here in Tokyo, the price for Leica SL at a cheaper shop I always visit is 943,920 JPY (body only)!  Yes, JPY is very weak now.  :(  In terms of the tendency of the prices, I agree...

I think that, at first, Sony was giving the A7 cameras away at cost, or at a small profit,  just to get people to try them.
Now they have adjusted the price to match their most direct competitors.  It seems that in consumer psychology, there is such a thing as 'too low a price' causing a perception of low value/worthlessness.
At the current prices, Sony is making a killing...a very large profit per unit.

It is very likely...

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 17:21:12 »
Performance got a considerable boost when using Sony A mount lenses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tVx5OQIodM

Apparently Metabones is also coming with an firmware update for their Canon EF to Sony E adapters.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 10:19:05 »
Performance got a considerable boost when using Sony A mount lenses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tVx5OQIodM

Apparently Metabones is also coming with an firmware update for their Canon EF to Sony E adapters.

Jan, thanks for the link.  Yes, the firmware 2.0 makes a big difference.