Author Topic: Sony A7II and legacy lenses  (Read 9307 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Sony A7II and legacy lenses
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 13:52:52 »
Yes Bjørn, It would be nice to have a Leica M to Sony A7 adapter for testing ;)

I only have a few LTM mount lenses and all of them have paired 6 bit Leica M adapters...

BTW JJChan, super images! I love the first one with flare and the latest close ups are very nicely rendered ;)
Erik Lund

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 15:52:50 »
Not bad at all - were these shot directly as jpgs in-camera?

Thanks for the compliments!

These were all shot RAW (haven't yet tried the jpg engine) and converted either in Sony Image Data Converter or PhotoNinja. I'm such a novice with processing that these were resized only (and extremely convoluted way too eg the PhotoNinja shot is too large for this site so saved as TIFF and then resized in CaptureNX2 into the 1200x800ish size and saved as jpg)

Erik: I've got a Leica M adaptor coming. I haven't got any Leica glass but have a friend with 35,50 and 90 crons that I will insist on borrowing. The focus peaking and magnification makes manual focus accurate and remarkably easy. I'm not in a position to get a digital rangefinder so the Sony will have to do. I did borrow these Leica lenses with my friends M6 15 years ago and an entire roll of film was out of focus so I hadn't got the hang of focusing in my only foray into rangefinders. That experience did put me off a bit...

JJ

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 17:55:25 »
JJChan those M lenses should fare well...
Erik Lund

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 21:24:21 »
JA, did you start with A7, A7R? and then A7S,,, I think so, so you can elaborate further...

15mm 4,5 Voigtlander S will also suffer on the Sony A7 i'm affraid - JA has shot with the identical design in Leica M mount - That's one of the reasons for the New Voigtlander 15mm Mark III version that came out.
I made the rather expensive mistake of buying the a7R which was horrible with wide rangefinder lenses and didn't have the electronic first curtain, I should have bought the a7 instead which is much better in that regard. Luckily the a7S was announced a little later which provided me with a nice upgrade path without loosing face for buying the wrong model initially ;D

All the mark II models do better with wide angle rangefinder lenses btw which is of course good news.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 08:34:26 »
Thanks JA!
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 10:16:17 »
I have evidently the A7. So chose the right model unknowingly?

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 12:02:50 »
I have evidently the A7. So chose the right model unknowingly?
It's a lot more forgiving with wide angle rangefinder lenses than the R and it does have the electronic first curtain so there is no mechanical movement whatsoever before the exposure is made which is a real bonus when shooting at low shutter speeds with these lightweight cameras.

My 12MP a7S does even better though as its large sensor buckets gather light even more efficiently in the far corner with wide angle rangefinder lenses, has not color cast issues and can of course shoot at insane ISO values like the Df and the D4 series but like those cameras has less DR than the higher MP models.

B&H did a comparison of the original a7 series and used the 15/4.5 to show the vignetting and colour shift proporties of these three cameras:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/buying-guide/sony-a7-series-which-model-suits-you-best%3F

The a7 does still vignette but less than the R and the color casts are almost gone, as you can see the R is almost unusable with this lens.

A side node for the 15/4.5 specifically btw is that it does vignette more at infinity focus because the rear element extends closer to the sensor making the angle of the light hitting the far corners even more steep. So use hyper focal distance focussing to get the best performance out of this lens, on the a7R I shot this lens in B&W to get rid of the color cast and usually dialed it in at 1.9 meter and f8 or so to get everything in focus with the least amount of vignetting.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

michel

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 09:08:08 »
I got the new Voigtlander 15mm Mark III and I'm happy with it used on A7 II. I think my next purchase will be the 10mm f/5.6