Author Topic: Camera connection to a computer?  (Read 3786 times)

Mike G

Camera connection to a computer?
« on: November 01, 2015, 09:24:56 »
Can one of you wizards out there please explain why when I connect my D810 to my iMac via a USB port it does not show up in finder as a device. but take a card out of the camera plug into the SD card port or via a card reader the card shows up as a device on the desktop.

I have no problem getting images onto the computer at all except via the camera not showing up as a device!

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Camera connection to a computer?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 09:43:01 »
Mike, do you switch the camera on once connected?

Mike G

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 09:51:32 »
Peter thanks for replying. Yes the camera is switched on. Lr, Aperture, photos , image capture can all see the camera as a device but annoyingly not Finder!

cheers

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 10:02:18 »
Mike, you may need to look at the D810 menus. 

Some Nikon DSLRs give you a choice as to how the DSLR behaves once hooked up to a computer by a USB cable.  For instance whether it behaves like a standard hard drive or a mass transfer device.  Cannot recall what options  the D810 offers, but I would start there.  Good luck.
Hugh Gunn

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 11:17:29 »
Set the D810 to "Mass Storage", use the proper cable and boot the iMac.

Some chargers come with charging only cables (middle two data connectors shorted or not present) which can't be used to transfer data, so try some different cables. Once I figured out which cable is which I label them accordingly.

Or buy first grade cables which are already clearly marked by the vendor, fast charge and sync cable:
http://www.portablepowersupplies.co.uk/portapow-20awg-fast-charge-sync-micro-usb-cable/

Dump, charges anything full power cable but no data:
http://www.portablepowersupplies.co.uk/portapow-fast-charge-micro-usb-cable/

Sometimes the Mac will give USB issues after a USB plug has been pulled before dismounting the device, it really doesn't like that.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Mike G

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 12:15:22 »
Did a google search of how to select "Mass Storage" and it seems that that option disappeared from the D300 onwards! Unless you know different as I cannot find a menu option to select mass storage!
Thanks everybody but it seems it ain't happening any more, what a shame!

The D810 uses a USB 3 connection so a micro USB cable is no good! and yes I'm using the correct cable as supplied with the camera

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 13:08:56 »
Mike, this is also an issue with the D3s and the D800, and probably others.  Nikons used to have a choice of PTP and Mass Storage (which permits USB connection for the purpose of downloading), but they abolished this some years ago.  It may survive on some cameras.

As a result, these cameras will not mount as a normal external drive, so a card reader is required.  Your iMac has an SD slot, but that is no use for CF cards.

There is, however, a solution.   It is possible to download images direct from the camera via Image Capture, even though the camera is not shown as mounted as a drive.

I wonder if this is why you did not have an issue before, because presumably Aperture uses Image Capture as its downloader, (as does Photos, which I know you dislike).
Anthony Macaulay

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 13:44:15 »
The D810 uses a USB 3 connection so a micro USB cable is no good! and yes I'm using the correct cable as supplied with the camera
Ha, didn't know that.

But a few steps back, why on earth would you want to connect the camera to Mac of PC if card reader is so much quicker?

With the MacBook Air I use the built in SD card reader exclusively btw, which isn't the fastest but it gets the job done. I only hook up the Sony for charging and firmware updates, none of which are applicable to Nikon DSLRs as far as I know.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Mike G

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 14:02:39 »
Jan Anne and Anthony thanks between you two and I have solved my dilemma. I was confused because Image Download, Aperture, iPhoto and Lightroom can see the camera and were able to download images!

Confusing when an SD card shows up as a D810 drive when inserted into a card reader and as a storage card when plugged directly into an iMac, this is even a dilemma for Apple help communities!

When I was using Aperture it was never a problem and still isn't, just plug the camera in and download to ones hearts content. As you say Anthony it's only become noticeable since I moved to Lr! Although it did take Apple long enough to update ACR to accommodate a D810 when I was an Aperture user!

I now download from the card to a folder in Finder and thence import into Lr. J-A it was because old habits die hard and it would save some wear and tear on the card slot, I'm sure you remember Nikon batteries have a dedicated mains charger and as far as I know they are not charged in camera!

I wanted to get this ironed out before I go into hospital to have a certain part of a mans anatomy removed soon, thanks.

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 19:23:36 »
If you want, you can directly import from the card into LR and at the same time copy from the card to your iMac.
Chris Dees

Mike G

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 20:27:40 »
Chris thanks, I'm not having a problem getting at my images, I just couldn't remember why the camera didn't show up as a disk on the desktop, it would have saved me from constantly taking the card out of the card slot in the camera, the idea was to save a bit of wear and tear on the card slot, but I now know it ain't goner happen!

This illustrates just one of the benefits of Nikongear, that there is a shed load of experience to call on, and the fact that the advice is so freely given, wonderful.  ;)