Author Topic: Loose Nikkor Lens Hoods  (Read 3405 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Loose Nikkor Lens Hoods
« on: June 16, 2015, 22:04:11 »
Many of the new Lens hoods are quite loose, they come off far to easy for my liking so usually I put in a piece of nylon to fill the gap that is supposed to give way when loosening the hood, works on AFS 1.4; 24mm 35mm 85mm and some other zooms but the New Noct-Nikkor has another design as does the New 300 ED 4.0
There are two sets of springs, one set for mounting normally and one set for reveres mounting the hood.

Here I have simply drilled two small set screws instead of having the little triangles holding it into place.
Naturally it's fixed until I unscrew the two set screws - But I like it like that :)

Erik Lund

Intrepid

• NG Member
  • Rank Amateur
Re: Loose Nikkor Lens Hoods
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 22:40:13 »
Are'nt cheaper knockoff hoods available for every lens from China?  I only use those and even if they break, they are easy to replace.  Not sure about the Nikon lens hoods though.
Vivek Iyer

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 22:44:54 »
Indeed a HN-20 has the correct 72mm threads but is shortish... The petal shape gives some more shading and overall protection so mostly I use the standard lens hoods but also cheap screw in copies :)
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 22:55:15 »
Price or make of any hoood is immaterial - more important they stay put to do their service.