Author Topic: Nikon AFS 50/1.4 G mystery  (Read 1865 times)

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Nikon AFS 50/1.4 G mystery
« on: October 23, 2015, 23:14:10 »
Hello all, you may be familiar with my Nikon database http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#50fast. I recently came across some curious serial numbers for the AFS 50/1.4G.

This lens was introduced in announced in September 2008. There are two series, one for USA starting at 600001 and another for the rest of the world at 200001. The world series has increased to the point where it now overlaps the US series, which means there are duplicate serial numbers! The only difference is the US lenses have "US" in front of the number and a USA guarantee. This is confused further by the fact that at least some lenses sold with Nikon USA guarantee appear to be sourced from "world" stocks, in other words the lenses don't have a US prefix. I wonder how Nikon USA keeps track of "their" lenses vs grey market?  :o

I'd like to get some more info about this. If you bought this lens within the last year could you send me the serial number? Does the lens have a US prefix? Does it have a USA guarantee?
Send me a PM if you want to keep the details private. Thanks.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Re: Nikon AFS 50/1.4 G mystery
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 08:00:23 »
Lens purchased roughly 1 years ago in the US
with USA guarantee

US699863

50mm f1.4G
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Nikon AFS 50/1.4 G mystery
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 23:49:02 »
Thanks Elsa - that's the highest "US" number I have come across so far.
Where the World and US serial numbers overlap, the only difference is that the US lens has "US" in front of the serial number. This prefix is not on the box or guarantee papers (as far as I know) so it must be difficult for our US friends to determine if a lens is US or grey market.