Author Topic: Seeking advice for focus stacking  (Read 4063 times)

PeterN

• NG Member
Seeking advice for focus stacking
« on: October 16, 2015, 12:04:27 »
I want to become a bit more serious with close-up and macro photography, especially in watch photography but also in flower photography.
Up till now, I just used some light diffusers, a tripod and the 105mm macro lens (and a Zeiss 50mm lens for the Fuji X). I added the R1C1 recently.

What would you recommend me to acquire? Would it suffice to start with Focus rail and stacking software? Or would you also recommend bellows?

wrt brands: I use manfrotto tripod. Would Manfrotto 454 micro sliding plate a good option?
wrt stacking software: does PS suffice? Or other software?
If bellows are the way to go: what would be a good option?
wrt lens: would the Nikon 60mm 2.8G be a good lens to add for watch photography (Ming Thein uses it). Or would you recommend another lens (which doesn't cost a fortune).

Other things to be aware of?

Thank you for your help and advice!
Peter

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
Re: Seeking advice for focus stacking
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 12:29:41 »
Michael Erlewine is a true expert in focus stacking, and he has written several e-books on macro photography and stacking, and he generously offer them for free to anyone interested.
Have a look over here: http://spiritgrooves.net/e-Books.aspx and search for his two books "The Art of Focus Stacking".
Bjørn Jørgensen

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 12:52:16 »
Michael Erlewine is a true expert in focus stacking, and he has written several e-books on macro photography and stacking, and he generously offer them for free to anyone interested.
Have a look over here: http://spiritgrooves.net/e-Books.aspx and search for his two books "The Art of Focus Stacking".

That is an impressive series! Thanks for pointing me to the website. I am very grateful for this info.
Peter

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 12:58:25 »
check out http://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker

tutorials are here http://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/docs/tutorials/tutorialsindex

I will look at Zerene. Thank you.
Also just saw that Michael writes about PS and Zerene.
Peter

Mike Wallace

• NG Member
  • Apple Valley, California
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 14:59:28 »
What a GREAT resource Bjorn...And it's right in my current price range!!!   TY!  :)
Mike Wallace

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 15:21:55 »
What a GREAT resource Bjorn...And it's right in my current price range!!!   TY!  :)

Don't thank me  :)
Michael Erlewine deserves a big round of applause for his work and his generousity.
Bjørn Jørgensen

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 15:54:53 »
Michael Erlewine deserves a big round of applause for his work and his generousity.

OK. Then 2 Big Thank You's. One for you and one for Michael.
Peter

Mike Wallace

• NG Member
  • Apple Valley, California
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 16:02:32 »

U R correct Bjorn.  TY Michael!  "Standing ovation!"   :)
Mike Wallace

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 19:53:42 »
Both Michael and BobFriedman has extensive experience - Michael with his flowers and Bob with his alien bugs. You just have to look at the magnification on Bob's bugs to see how much he knows about putting a 220 stack photo together.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 20:01:06 »
Both Michael and BobFriedman has extensive experience - Michael with his flowers and Bob with his alien bugs. You just have to look at the magnification on Bob's bugs to see how much he knows about putting a 220 stack photo together.

Only 220? pffff. Just kidding. I've seen a few of Bob's bug pics. They are awesome, amazing, and whatever superlative you want to use. The same for Michael's photos. I've looked at some of his photo books. Amazing.

I think I am going to try some shots of watches and be back for advice.
Peter