Author Topic: Zeiss Contaflex 126 Lens Issue  (Read 5900 times)

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
Zeiss Contaflex 126 Lens Issue
« on: October 11, 2015, 22:10:43 »
I recently purchased the 45mm f/2.8 and 135mm f/4 lenses in this system with the intention of using them on a Sony A6000 via an available adapter, and hopefully testing their UV capability as well. When the adapter came in, it fit the 135mm lens just fine but would not mount the 45mm lens.  I had no familiarity with the Zeiss 126 mount and no camera of this sort, so I didn't catch the problem until I had the adapter in hand. 

It's an interesting mount, in that the actual mount mechanism is recessed in an outer housing that surrounds the lens elements, the housing of which protrudes unencumbered to the rear.  Closer inspection shows that the 135mm lens has an aperture control tab that moves freely in a slot, while the same tab on the 45mm lens is stuck in a different position and appears to be blocking mounting of the lens.  See the first two photos for a comparison of the breech ends of both lenses.

I had no response yet to my inquiry on Photo.net, so I decided to go ahead and open the problem lens up, something I've never done before.  See the next two photos.  My interpretation of what I found is that the entire diaphragm mechanism had been removed, and the disk that the aperture control tab moves and which actuates the diaphragm movement had been fixed in place.  Thoughts from those who are familiar with these things?  At this point I'm about to ask for a refund from the auction site  but I thought I'd check first to make sure I'm right about this.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Zeiss Contaflex 126 Lens Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 22:23:55 »
I might be mistaken, but weren't those lenses designed as "add-ons" to the master lens of the camera itself?

Andrew

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 22:35:37 »
Looks like are two Contaflex systems: one with "add-on" and I have this in my hand, is looking different than lens on Bill's pic.
Andrew Iwanowski

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 22:48:01 »
I might be mistaken, but weren't those lenses designed as "add-ons" to the master lens of the camera itself?

That was a different system.  The 126 lenses were stand-alone as I verified with the 135 on the adapter and the A6000.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 22:57:49 »
Apparently there were a leaf-shutter system (for 35 mm film) and a focal-plane shutter model, only for 126 Instamatic film. Both carrying the Contaflex name and using completely different optics. Those were the days...

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 23:52:33 »
Apparently there were a leaf-shutter system (for 35 mm film) and a focal-plane shutter model, only for 126 Instamatic film. Both carrying the Contaflex name and using completely different optics. Those were the days...

Don't you love it when manufacturers reuse a product name for a completely different product?

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 07:19:06 »
Don't tell them you disassembled it.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 03:39:22 »
Just a couple of quick JPGs from the 135/4.   Bokeh is smooth but highlights show the 5-sided aperture.  This was an economy lens.  Both photos were taken on a Sony A6000 handheld using focus peaking.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 17:40:25 »
I should add that the last shot was a very small crop from a much larger shot. Focus was on the edge of the fruit (seed capsule), again handheld using focus peaking which I'm still learning to use.  My preferred method for such shots is a tripod and enlarged live view for focus, but I was in a hurry to catch the last sunlight.

The 45/2.8 has been sent back and I'll be getting a refund.

Using either lens for UV will require either adapting a filter to the bayonet on the front of the lens, or else using a lens drawer behind the lens.