Author Topic: Adobe Faces Harsh Backlash After Removal of Features and Stability Issues Plague  (Read 16595 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Adobe Faces Harsh Backlash After Removal of Features and Stability Issues Plague Lightroom 2015.2/6.2

https://fstoppers.com/lightroom/adobe-faces-harsh-backlash-after-removal-features-and-stability-issues-plague-90776
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Update Note:
Rolling back your Lightroom version from 6.2(the new, widely disliked one) to 6.1 or 6.0 is easy, at least on a Mac.  Going back to 6.1.1 is all that is required to eliminate the new, oversimplified Import interface.  I simply re-installed from the original 6.0 installer, and it's back to good.

I urge anyone who is at Lightroom 6.1 or earlier NOT to upgrade to LR 6.2 until they see a demo of the new Import Dialog. 
They took away a large number of functions, selections and info that many users find invaluable.
Adobe state that they conducted a market research survey that consisted of placing Lightroom in front of people that had never seen it before, and then eliminated the functions that those people found confusing.
?
Apparently, if you try to import a file whose file number has been imported into Lightroom before, it will refuse to make the import.
For even mildly sophisticated users...a group that I'd count myself in...it is a disaster.
If Adobe doesn't fix the Import dialog, Lightroom could be terminal.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Dumbing down software apparently is the hottest trend these days.

Stability issues are hopefully easier to fix.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
I agree, the latest update is a disaster. I'm stunned that they have deemed that ready, in the same way that Apple last year released OS X Yosemite with a very buggy network stack. It's like they didn't test it at all.

I will say though that the configuration change they mention has made it stop crashing for me:
1) Go to Lightroom > Preferences.
2) Click on the General tab
3) Uncheck “Show ‘Add Photos’ Screen”
4) Restart Lightroom

I have always limited my use of the import dialog to the minimum as it's unable to rename my files in a logical way. I copy my photos to a relevant folder on my laptop using the Finder and then use a rename tool (Better Rename) before I add them to LR.
The design changes are quite strange, it's been given a new look that's different from the rest of LR so now there's 3 different looks:
1) The main interface with the various modules (Library, Develop, etc.).
2) The Preferences panels and the Export panel.
3) The Import panel.

What a mess.

The Adobe CC application is also silly. It's basically become a commercial for "Adobe Stock". The primary feature of keeping check on updates to your programs, still isn't working. It seems the only way to get it to check for updates, is to logout and login again. It also ought to include a one click option to revert to the previous release. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement, but since they haven't even managed to implement update checking yet, I think it'll take a while.

/rant :)
Jørgen Ramskov

PeterN

• NG Member
Thanks for the heads-up. I will stick to the "old" version for now, which is silly because I subscribed to the CC edition to keep up with the updates.
Peter

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
I own Lightroom. In fact I have 3 licenses for different versions.
It is installed.
I find it confusing and distracting.
I do not use it.
My subscription to Photoshop just prolonged itself for another year.
I like it.
I use it daily.
Very to the point interface.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
The import interface of Nikon Transfer is much alike the old LR 6.1
You can always use that and then add it to your catalog. Only one (small) step extra.

BTW I did not upgrade yet. :)
Chris Dees

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
ok, thanks for letting us know

just saw today that there is an update available ... on LR and PS

and also an update for the stupid Adobe CC updater .. why on earth do they update that thing every time there is an update on one of the apps I care about is beyond my understanding, it takes as long or longer to update that part than  LR or PS

not been able to import a second time a file with a name that has been imported before is a regression error not a feature removal,  they are just trying a CYA response on us
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
I can't describe the technical underpinnings or complete extent of the "not being able to import previous file names" "bug". All I know is that it refused to do it for me in one instance, and that was enough.
My computer acquired the "CC updater" thing when I installed Lightroom 6, even though I don't have CC. I was able to uninstall the CC updater thing, while preserving the old Adobe AAM updater.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
http://regex.info/blog/

From Jeffrey Friedl's blog

“Metadata Wrangler” Plugin for Lightroom Can Now Add/Overwrite Metadata

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
I have been wondering how successful the move to CC (subscription) was for Adobe. In financial terms I mean.
I suppose the bit the bullet and it is working?
I am still sitting on CS6 - and although I am tempted at times - sanity prevails at this point.
We hear about unimpressed customers more than we should -
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Distortion correction for the 50/1.2 and 20/3.5 UD : hallelujah.

As for the rest, I have yet to check.
Airy Magnien

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
i need one for the 35/1.4 ais,
dont use lr anymore never liked it anyway,
photoninja and photoshop cc :)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
The new lens-corrections in ACR for older Nikkors:

20/3.5  UD
24/2.8  AI
50/1.2  AIS
50/1.4  AIS and SC Auto
50/1.8  AI
50/2.0   H Auto
105/2.5 P.C. Auto

Still a lot missing  ;)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
It is always best to actually check the Adobe lens correction profiles to see if they are useful.  Some are better than others.