Author Topic: Salvaged Lenses - from the Smena 8  (Read 8185 times)

Intrepid

• NG Member
  • Rank Amateur
Salvaged Lenses - from the Smena 8
« on: June 16, 2015, 12:30:12 »
Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

With the mirror less platform being so versatile and accessible for anything and everything, it is possible adapt anything and it does not have to be even an ultrafangled nikkor.  Shown here is a triplet from an old Soviet compact film camera, a 45/4 lens.  Bought for 8 € on ebAy and ready to use.
Vivek Iyer

Intrepid

• NG Member
  • Rank Amateur
Re: Salvaged Lenses - from the Smena 8
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 12:54:35 »
Sample from that combo:

Vivek Iyer

Intrepid

• NG Member
  • Rank Amateur
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 12:55:46 »
 8)
Vivek Iyer

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 13:32:14 »
russian lenses have their own character, i like them
if you´re in "that business"  i can recommend the VNEX system
it will allow you to mount nearly any lens on your Alpha
Thomas Stellwag

Intrepid

• NG Member
  • Rank Amateur
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 13:40:52 »
Thanks for your thoughts, Thomas.   :)

I think that is an useless piece of contraption for the full frame bodies.  If that is incorrect, please point me to some real samples (ie., photos taken using that contraption on FF at infinity).
Vivek Iyer

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 14:16:12 »
We all know there is a difference in register distance between (D)SLR and  and a mirrorless camera.  So what works in one direction might get into trouble the other way around.

However, whatever your system, there are many candidate lenses waiting to be picked up and used for their intended purpose. Low price is not a disadvantage either. Just stay clear of the typical collectors' items as they carry sometimes ridiculously inflated prices without anything more to boast of.

Intrepid

• NG Member
  • Rank Amateur
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 14:26:05 »
However, whatever your system, there are many candidate lenses waiting to be picked up and used for their intended purpose.

There is a no system in the classical sense.  It is too limiting for this amateur.  Open platform is the order of the day and photography is the presumed final goal. :D  Everything else becomes just details.  :D

A reflected UV capture from the T-40 and my UV cam (a hacked Sony A7).

Vivek Iyer

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 15:22:11 »
if you think it is useless, you already know it, that is just fine with me - i am not here to proof anything  :)
I for myself  use it on a APSC Nex with infinity for a lot of lenses and i know it is modified in a newer version for FF Alpha and others
As all E mounts have the same 18mm register, it should reach infinity as well on your camera
Old russian M39 lenses ( not the reflex ones with M39 but Pentax register) come often with 0,2mm more register than Leica L 39, so you might get problems to reach infinity with a L or M 39 adapter, but this has nothing to do with VNEX
Thomas Stellwag

Intrepid

• NG Member
  • Rank Amateur
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 15:30:56 »
Hi Thomas, I am here as a beta tester.  I could do without this site or any site.  I want to make that very clear. :)

If VNEX, etc works for you for anything, I would encourage you to start new threads and post examples.  It has absolutely nothing to do with you are right/I am wrong sort of thinking.  It wastes my time and energy as it might yours as well.  :)

This Smena 8 lens came as shown for 8 Euros.  No other contraptions were necessary.  I did not put this together.  I just bought it just ready to use and I enjoy using it.  :)
Vivek Iyer

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 17:10:43 »
I would like to see another thread on VNEX, All these new adapters really deserve their own thread :)

BTW the first shot with the three girls is very crisp!
Erik Lund