Author Topic: What camera profile do you use and why?  (Read 5288 times)

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: What camera profile do you use and why?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 12:47:19 »
Wow, what a fantastic respons! Thank you all for your contributions, I really appreciate them.

I will not totally ignore yours or anybody elses post, because I find them very interesting, Andrea :-)!

I know, there is no correct workflow, but I wish I could spend more time out taking pictures, rather spending so much time in front of my computer :-).

I`m learning, getting there....

Shane

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • BeyondVisible
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 17:36:03 »
Shooting digital UV back in 2004 required a UniWB and custom tone curve. I also found it useful for IR work, and ETTR in visible, and have therefore been using UWB with a custom tone curve ever since. You get used to the "green" in-camera jpg previews but I find it a worthwhile trade off for more accurate histograms. The only concession I made was switching from UWB with a custom inverse tone curve, to UWB with a custom linear tone curve. If you think your previews look too green with UWB try it with an inverse tone curve!

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 20:24:54 »
I used to use standard for most shooting RAW, and a dedicated 3rd party profile in Lightroom for producing the jpegs (or standard again if no dedicated profile is available).

I now use neutral with sharpness pushed to +9 for easy sharpness check and easier focussing in LV. With my frequently using MF lenses and not-so-good eyesight, it is very useful. Focussing, say, the 20/2.8 in a dark church may be very difficult and with those modern hi-res cameras, the DOF is not what it used to be...
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 21:01:56 »
I support the idea of turning CNX2 into an open source project or at least enough parts and APIs of it to allow for
sensible community effort. I guess some of the techniques like U Point are still owned by NIK now owned by Google.

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/