Author Topic: Nikon film cameras - what do you use?  (Read 3538 times)

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikon film cameras - what do you use?
« on: September 24, 2015, 00:16:08 »
Along with my digital I still very much like 35mm film. I started with an F100 (which was a gift) and added bodies as they became available used and at a good price - sort of collecting and taking photos. I picked up a late 60's F and modern F5 for £99 each and an FM3a for £250 - this one is my favourite. I took the FM3a along with the last of my Fuji Reala film, the 45mm P lens and the 28-70mm zoom on a short break. I hardly used the digital at all - give myself a break from it and not fret. The fact that I was not able to check my images did not matter - I knew the exposure was right so nothing more I could do. Negative film is wonderfully forgiving too.

So what is your favourite Nikon film SLR - and what film?

I share just three examples I took on film - I think they have turned out as I hoped.

Chip Chipowski

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon film cameras - what do you use?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 01:04:22 »
Nice color in these shots.  I use Nikon L35AF, FE2 and FM2.  I want to prefer the FM2 over FE2 but it is hard to give up auto-exposure.  Film is like a treasure hunt for me, compared with digital.  I very much enjoy the contrast.

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 01:25:18 »
The L35AF is great isn't it Chip? I have one too - 99 pence from Cats Protection. I have travelled over the world with mine and it has never missed a beat.

Chip Chipowski

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 01:38:40 »
Yes, it is very charming :)

On my last roll, the shutter button got stuck.  I took it apart and sprayed some lubricant on the shaft below the shutter button.  The shutter works again, but I think it really needs a new spring in there.  I plan to take her back into surgery sometime soon.

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 02:06:45 »
I've been keeping my eye out for a L35AF in the thrift stores but have yet to find one.

My only film Nikon is an FM2n, I got it along with a Mamiya RZ67 a few years ago for a slide film based project I've been working on. I was sad to see Provia 400x go away and unfortunately missed the announcement so was unable to stock up on it. I quite enjoy using these cameras but it sort of comes in waves for me. I'll use film often and then set it down and only shoot digital for several months. I've got a decent sized pile of film I have yet to see that needs to be developed, scanned, and/or processed.

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 14:35:36 »
I have an F100, an FM10 (if you count that as a Nikon) and an FM3.  The FM3 is my favourite, and my main camera - I am about 75% film and 25% digital at present, and 75% of the film is with the FM3 (the rest is medium format).  I use B&W negative film only, mainly Ilford FP4 but occasionally XP2, because I prefer it - but even if I didn't I can't get slide film processed at an affordable price.

Fanie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 15:03:38 »
I still have a Nikon F, F90x, F601 and a F3. I still pop in a roll of B&W film every now and then. Still looking for a F2.
Fanie du Plessis
Pretoria,  South Africa

Chip Chipowski

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 00:32:27 »
A couple of shots from the L35AF.  AF can be a bit unpredictable.